Cannabis Plant Deformation

Sinbad91

Greetings, I have a problem and was hoping someone could help. I'm currently two and a half weeks into my first grow and seem to be experiencing a myriad of problems. See images of plants. All Plants were started at the same time, some are much smaller than others, all have some form of leaf deformity, most have some indications of leaf miners, but most importantly, one plant is just severely deformed. It looks as though the new growth is re-starting bellow the tallest leaf set.

I have attached a photo of some recorded data for your reference, here's what else I can provide:

Using a Top fed closed loop Hydroponic system and Coconut Coir growing medium.
Full Spectrum LED Lights
All plants are grown from seed, feminised, strain: Psychedelic
First leaves look like they were suffering from a Calcium deficiency (this coincided with the 5.55 Ph which could have been the cause). I treated it with a 2% calcium mix and this seemed to get rid of those symptoms.

Once 2nd nodes began to grow this is when my problems really started. I started to see evidence of Leaf miners and have been treating the plants with an organic pesticide spray (not neem oil as the data shows). Where you see holes in leaves, this is where i actually squeezed the leaves with my fingers to try kill the miners. So that damage is actually from me.

Some plants are growing much faster than others, as if some nutrient locked and others did not. My 2nd thought was that I maybe had a Fungus gnat larvae infestation because my system is top fed, meaning i am inadvertently creating the conditions needed for this. Fungus gnat larvae would then be attacking my root systems and slowing growth. To prevent this I have started to dry out the pots. I will only re-water once the plants just start to show signs of under-watering.

My biggest concern is that all plants seem to have these odd deformities. some leaves are only growing on one side of the stem, some grow on both sides but one side almost looks wilted, and in some cases one leaf just remains immature while the rest grow. Then there's the extreme case (see horrendous images).

If anyone has any idea about the Deformities, please let me know. Maybe they are a side effect of the other problems? Do Leaf miners burrow into stems?

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 171
One more thing!

I'm growing in a country suffering from power outages.. the day after I started this grow, the lights were being cut for about three hours every day (for the first week or so). Note that in some cases these cuts took place at night, not during the day.

On one occasion about a week ago, Some fool stole some electric cables and we had a power cut for 12 hours! So there is a possibility that the poor deformed guy went into flower mode and has since bounced back veg...

no let me guess you have been on growweedeasy.com
stay away from that crap site nebula haze is a con artist trying to sell shit from amazon

dude i thought the same thing after reading her crap on there.
theres no way i have had multiple grows and all of them have had tonacco mosaic.

i assumed thats its a ph issue causing some kind of small lockout of potassium or micronute, but my grows arent dialed in to the point i can isolate it

im running terra canna pro plus (soilless peatcoco medium)
feeding according to bio canna feed schedule + ff big bloom (for micros) and silica blast
around 6-800ppm total (tap water)
hlg 260 led and kindled microflower bar + agromax uvb (20 min a day)

this same leaf issue has happened to all my plants, so wondering if its the nites, the medium or the lights??

One more thing!

I'm growing in a country suffering from power outages.. the day after I started this grow, the lights were being cut for about three hours every day (for the first week or so). Note that in some cases these cuts took place at night, not during the day.

On one occasion about a week ago, Some fool stole some electric cables and we had a power cut for 12 hours! So there is a possibility that the poor deformed guy went into flower mode and has since bounced back veg...
I don't know what country you are in but hope it's not Venezuela. From what I have read about power outages there, You would think Maduro declared war on cannabis.

im running terra canna pro plus (soilless peatcoco medium)
feeding according to bio canna feed schedule + ff big bloom (for micros) and silica blast
around 6-800ppm total (tap water)
hlg 260 led and kindled microflower bar + agromax uvb (20 min a day)

this same leaf issue has happened to all my plants, so wondering if its the nites, the medium or the lights??

Do you by any chance know what EC and PH you're on? I feel like it might be PH related

So just an update on the little deformed plant. I let it grow out for a few more days and today I took the risk of topping it bellow the deformation. Let's see if it manages to recover or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 108

Hey Irie,

yeah it actually really bounced back well! I lost a few days on the recovery so it’s a tad behind compared to the rest, but still a good number of heads. I’m currently in week 2 of flower. I didn’t start a grow journal and I feel it’s a tad late now, but here are some images of the grow to date.

The previously deformed one is front left.

Attachments

• FC047427-21A1-4E72-85D8-57A48D365648.jpeg
    FC047427-21A1-4E72-85D8-57A48D365648.jpeg
    854.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 140E1886-B719-40B7-8286-698D7F3A753A.jpeg
    140E1886-B719-40B7-8286-698D7F3A753A.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 4EAEC73B-EC5D-46EE-BBE0-2CECC7A9076F.jpeg
    4EAEC73B-EC5D-46EE-BBE0-2CECC7A9076F.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 129
Looks awesome in there brother, nice setup. :ganjamon: I am just over a week ahead of you in flower so we'll be harvesting similar dates. :headbanger: Looks like you went with a dank LED light, where'd you pick it up and whats it's specs?
What strains are you running and where'd you grab them?
Looking forward to checking out your flower show & it's probably a bit late to start up a journal, but i'll keep up to date here when you post up pics. :Namaste::passitleft: Which side of SA are you? i'm from Western Cape.

Shot man! I've actually just come back from a 2 week holiday to find them looking super happy. I had a mate of mine take care of them while I was gone.

This is my first ever cannabis grow. I have a back ground in both LED Lighting and Hydroponics. I actually designed this light myself. I started this grow as a test for the light which we plan to introduce into the market in a couple months.. As for the specs, I unfortunately can't say much just yet as we may still change a thing or two, but so far this light has really surpassed our expectations!:snowboating:I'll just let these photos be a small teaser o_O

The aim was to finally get a Proudly SA Light into the market with the specs to match global industry best, but at a SAFA Pricetag.

The Genetics are Psychedelic from Biltong & Buds Bulk seed bank actually. As this thread suggests, I had a wobbly start, but managed to get it back n track alright. I started with 10 seeds, 8 of which made it through germination. Then one more died in first week so sitting with 7.

Love the Cape! I'm based in Jozi. Really great weather conditions up here for indoor grows, the winter really controls the humidity well!

I'll be keeping an eye on your awesome grow, well done man it's looking dank!

2 weeks?? Fuck i'd be so worried. Sweet bro i fully understand you've got to hold back on the info for now :snowboating: Good luck and keep me updated.
Lekka! If this is your first time it really only get better from here. Each grow i've completely i learnt something new.
I order my seeds through Biltong & budz, however have not tried their 'Bulk' seed bank.

Thanks man i appreciate the kind words! Have a lekker evening :bongrip:

Yea the Bulk seed bank is a bit of a gamble, there seems to be some unstable genetics between the seeds of the same strain, but for 60 bucks a seed you really can't complain!

My next grow I'm going to invest in some super stable genetics though. I feel like my goal going forward is going to try and create the flattest, most even Canopy possible!

Back
Top Bottom