Cannabis Strain Study

Did YOUR favorite make the cut?

Screenshot_1.jpg

This is great! :thanks:

I have #4, #6, #7, #11. And, we don't currently have any but #14 is one that I'm hoping to grow sometime this year. :battingeyelashes:

Woo! I do this in most aspects of my life... use data to help direct my decisions with confidence.

On this particular study I did it manually, from the site pages and viewing the HTML source, but I have the knowledge and programming tools to automate if needed.

I need someone like you in my back pocket. I love tracking stuff in Excel but have no idea how to analyse it. It's one of things I'm hoping to learn how to do when I'm retired and not working on a computer all day for work.

Heads up cannabis does not have strains that word applies to viruses. Cannabis has cultivars it's time we use the right terminology if we claim to be teaching others.Especially if your trying to sound accurate scientific and smart.

Everything in the world has it own terminologies and lingo's. Plant cultivars as you want to call them have been known as strains since the beginning of marijuana breeding. Just because how we talk or write is not right in your world. Doesn't mean it isn't right in it's our world.

I find it hilarious that with all the misinformation on this site you find "THAT" to key in on.

Everything in the world has it own terminologies and lingo's. Plant cultivars as you want to call them have been known as strains since the beginning of marijuana breeding. Just because how we talk or write is not right in your world. Doesn't mean it isn't right in it's our world.

I find it hilarious that with all the misinformation on this site you find "THAT" to key in on.

another good point. if we were talking dogs I'd say breed or line or mutt!

I thought it was funny that a made up cultivar named pineapple express would actually be a favorite smoke among the reviewers.

It if was named C99 would it be on the list?

couldn't have said it better myself lol. thanks.

One thing I always consider is that these online measurables are usually whacked.

How many seed company/strain reviews do you see that give 5 stars out of 5 stars for simply sending or receiving the fking seeds. Really!!?? You are reviewing a company and strain because you got them in the mail??? I cant even begin to describe the internal rage factor when I see that.

Grow the strain. Smoke the strain. Review the strain. Simple. But no. People are involved. So while I like the list, I look at it through the lens of the average moron who is reviewing strains that arrived in an envelope safely.

I see @Brian420pm 's list as a good place to start from a dispensary standpoint. They are recognized names and proven to a point.
The list is an ok place to start from a growers stand point, but one must understand these reviews are from selected clones, not seed lines.
IMO a pack of Dreamtime and a pack of Walkabout are a good place for a first timer to start.

One thing I always consider is that these online measurables are usually whacked.

How many seed company/strain reviews do you see that give 5 stars out of 5 stars for simply sending or receiving the fking seeds. Really!!?? You are reviewing a company and strain because you got them in the mail??? I cant even begin to describe the internal rage factor when I see that.

Grow the strain. Smoke the strain. Review the strain. Simple. But no. People are involved. So while I like the list, I look at it through the lens of the average moron who is reviewing strains that arrived in an envelope safely.

I feel I should bring up the olden days again LOL.

There was a time when actually getting seeds was the important part. Those times are long past. With the rise in seed bank out there it may be something to start judging again. That should still only be worth a start or 2 at best.

For me the rating system has flaws in the fact growing experience is not considered. The first plant you take all the way through flower is going to be the best weed you have ever grown. Lots of good seeds out there that are not what they are claimed to be. If it is still good weed should it matter? YES!

I recently grew a Blue Dream from a lesser know company. Plant grew good produced ok and smoked well. Thing is it is not Blue Dream. It has a slight blueberry smell but far from the right Blueberry. I don't see any SSH in the plant at all.

I only know this because I have grown and smoked them both before. I have smoked lots of Blue Dream that was nothing like it. Some would rate this strain high because how it smoked. I can't because I know it is not really Blue Dream.

And yes I could be a "Know it all"

You’re a really good “know it all” to have looking over our shoulders Brian. More than once you’ve stepped forward with the exact clarification I was seeking at the moment. Sometimes it’s almost eerie. :laughtwo:

Brilliant dedication, by the way. :hug:

Thanks for the comment! Granddaddy Purple didn't make the original cut because even though it's very popular, a year ago it was below the 4.4 star average star requirement... it's currently exactly 4.4.

If you ever saw the terpene profile alone on GDP you’d understand why it’s so sought after for cannabis therapeutics. There are few chemovars with that richness to offer.

Gelato ftw . Sad to see girl scout cookies is not in it.

Gelato is one of the foundations for It’s It Punch. Mmmmm.... :battingeyelashes: Such deliciousness......

I go to Leafly a fare amount to see their take on strains. From what I have seen most of the info is about weed bought not grown. I am sure new strains might catch a lot of interest. I wonder how these strains would do with only growers involved.

My perception is that most people don’t have any idea how to quantify the euphoric experience beyond, “That felt good” or “I didn’t enjoy that.”

That being said, this list Brian’s putting together is a great resource for digging through the options. :green_heart:

Heads up cannabis does not have strains that word applies to viruses. Cannabis has cultivars it's time we use the right terminology if we claim to be teaching others.Especially if your trying to sound accurate scientific and smart.

Welcome to the battle I finally set aside. When all of the professionals, including Ethan Russo, the man who originally inspired me to take up this fight of semantics, continue to refer to the cultivars as “strains” it may be time to focus on other things.

I still cringe every time I write that word out, (I was sooo passionate about it :laughtwo:) but I have a broader message of the value of cannabis therapeutics that I desire to spread. I felt my insistenice on “chemovars” was beginning to sound pretentious and off putting. In my mind I still hold hope that scientific accuracy will win in the end. Most often Amy and I fall into “strains/chemovars” or “cultivar/strain.”

Keep it up. We need those reasonable voices out there. :hug:

Take a slow, deep breath UA. Lol! :hug: I honestly hadn’t considered that the reviews would be slanted by creative marketing of seed stock. :hmmmm: I always wonder how many of the reviewers had the chance to try homegrown vs store bought. Then I wonder how much difference that really makes. Lol!

It’s the terpenes driving the choices, even if the consumers don’t realize it. Brian, where’s the list of strains and their predominant terpenes? That list was most insightful.

And thank you Brian, for being so curious and enjoying sharing it all with us. :hug:

thank you Brian, for being so curious and enjoying sharing it all with us.

More than once you’ve stepped forward with the exact clarification I was seeking

Thank you! I'm known throughout the galaxy as a solution provider :) It's the hallmark of an INTP personality.

where’s the list of strains and their predominant terpenes?

Since they often differ from test to test I didn't put that in the initial release, but I'll put it here for you. Many were consistent so it's at least a general guide.

Screenshot_1.jpg

SweetSue you are so right about people not knowing how to describe a strain. I'm am so anal about it I can tell the difference in the head highs of my sativa hybrids. It has amazed me how many different head highs there are.

I am surrounded by people that describe pot as it got them high or didn't. I feel I can objectively test my own strains. I know if I like them and why. What kills me is I can never find a person to test them and give me a different perspective on them. It is funny as shit. With thousands of strains out there. People I know barely know they have names or do different things to you LMAO.

I am surrounded by people that describe pot as it got them high or didn't.

I've been thinking about this lately and came up with a general guide to help me keep each cultivar identified. I was pleasantly surprised at the differences and wondering what common thread connects them to different people.

As I build a rating system I want to keep it at a sweet spot of complexity. This is what I came up with using my limited 420 experience. Please share your methods or suggestions if you'd like to collaborate!

I have a 1 - 5 rating system for 2 categories, head and body for 3 Cultivar/Method combinations, so far.

Screenshot_1.jpg

So as I get more cultivars I can decide beforehand what kind of experience I want. For example, if I want something to help me relax and sleep a low Body and low to medium Mind score would fit, like Northern Light Capsules. If I wanted to brainstorm some ideas over a few hours a more active mind and content body scores, like GG4 Capsules. If I wanted to go bike riding, walking or any other vigorous activity I might want high scores for both Body and Mind.

The system does not capture time, which would be something like an attack/sustain/release graph of an audio sample... how rapid the onset and how slowly it declines. I ultimately decided against it because the Method explained that expression better than the Cultivar. I think most people intuitively know that smoking has a rapid onset and faster decline than edibles.

It doesn't capture dosing either because tolerances seem to be all over the map. Perhaps over a large data set you could draw some inferences, but I'm assuming each person has their safe zone of dosing they hover around.

Interesting to see the Northern Light scores between Capsule and Combustion... Combustion is basically the same as Capsule but bumped to the right on the scale... which makes complete sense. Seeing this gave me some validation of usefulness... for now anyway, who knows how other cultivars will react :)

I didn't put the GG4 Combustion on there yet... that pushes me to Mind #5 score, and what happens when my mind becomes overly excited, I go lay down, like ohhhhh my mind is racing so fast I have to withdraw and reduce my sensory inputs lol

Anyway, this will be extremely useful for me, since I'll be pumping out a couple different cultivars every 4 months, I NEED something to keep them straight!

Back
Top Bottom