Chappy's Coco White Widow & CBD Therapy Grow Journal - 2017

Here is one in the RDWC that I started...look at all of those bud sites...
plant_training_003.JPG

plant_training_002.JPG

Day 38 of veg and first day of LST. I really appreciate the advice OTM & Asesino85. I tied the tops down this morning using the black lead from a length of 14/2 wire. I also tucked the fan leaves down so they sit below the new shoots coming up underneath them. What a difference a day makes! They have responded very well and look like they are going to fill out a scrog perfectly. This brings me to my next questions:

1. How big should my plants be before I put the scrog screen in place? or How much of the tent should be filled out before putting the screen in?

2. When do I switch to flower? Do I switch as soon as my plants grow up into the screen or after the screen fills to where I am happy with how much is filled? I have read that plants can double in size after switching to flower as they stretch. I want my buds to be about 10-12" long above the screen I think. That way my Mars Reflector 192x5 can do a good job making some tight buds.

As far as waterings go, I am watering with nutrients every time mixed to 925-975 ppm based on House and Gardens week 5 schedule. Still using the 5lb O2 tank and 2 micron diffuser to oxygenate the nutrient solution before watering. Seems to be working like a charm. I also started adding molasses as well. I bought some dehydrated stuff made for cannabis and don't recall the product name. I am adding at 1/4 tsp per gallon.

Lights I have been keeping at 18" and the plants sem to really respond well to that. I measure every other day to the tallest plant and adjust accordingly.

While you ponder, here are some shots for your viewing pleasure:

all-the-ladies-day-38-veg.jpg

lst-day-38-veg-1.jpg

lst-day-38-veg-2.jpg

lst-day-38-veg-3.jpg

lst-day-38-veg-4.jpg

Day 38 of veg and first day of LST. I really appreciate the advice OTM & Asesino85. I tied the tops down this morning using the black lead from a length of 14/2 wire. I also tucked the fan leaves down so they sit below the new shoots coming up underneath them. What a difference a day makes! They have responded very well and look like they are going to fill out a scrog perfectly. This brings me to my next questions:

1. How big should my plants be before I put the scrog screen in place? or How much of the tent should be filled out before putting the screen in?
2. When do I switch to flower? Do I switch as soon as my plants grow up into the screen or after the screen fills to where I am happy with how much is filled? I have read that plants can double in size after switching to flower as they stretch. I want my buds to be about 10-12" long above the screen I think. That way my Mars Reflector 192x5 can do a good job making some tight bubs.]

That is something that your grow space will determine, my space is 8' from floor to ceiling, I subtract my bucket/smart pot space of 12" and my top limitation of 4" lift cable, 4" of light suspension wires, 4" of light housing thickness, and 10" of where I think my plant can reach before light burn...plus a couple " for error and that gives me 3' of used space that I have no control over and 5' to allow grow/bud/tie/play with.

Indoors is new to me, bud sites= buds=great harvest, that is why I chose photo/fem, I have some control. My plants bent and deformed are about 7" tall now as they are abused, if i did nothing, they would probably be 16-18" tall and reaching up every day...my scrog is planned at 10" above the buckets/pots and after that height, maybe a week or week and a half before the flower lighting.

I would like to start moving the bud sites as much as I can before flower a bit, but you can bet I will bet just as aggressive after trying to make a even canopy, and when I get the scrog screen up, I will have a couple 2 bulb t5's under the screen to help the undergrowth...we will see if it helps:laughtwo:

2. When do I switch to flower? Do I switch as soon as my plants grow up into the screen or after the screen fills to where I am happy with how much is filled? I have read that plants can double in size after switching to flower as they stretch. I want my buds to be about 10-12" long above the screen I think. That way my Mars Reflector 192x5 can do a good job making some tight buds.

As far as waterings go, I am watering with nutrients every time mixed to 925-975 ppm based on House and Gardens week 5 schedule. Still using the 5lb O2 tank and 2 micron diffuser to oxygenate the nutrient solution before watering. Seems to be working like a charm. I also started adding molasses as well. I bought some dehydrated stuff made for cannabis and don't recall the product name. I am adding at 1/4 tsp per gallon.

Lights I have been keeping at 18" and the plants seem to really respond well to that. I measure every other day to the tallest plant and adjust accordingly.

While you ponder, here are some shots for your viewing pleasure:

1. The screen can really go on at any time. I like my plants to be about 12" from the coco to the net. That gives me enough room to feed effectively and get to other branches to defoliate. If your net is too low it makes it really tough to train and water. The nice part about a ScrOG net is that it really limits how tall they can get. I'd get that net up and let them grow into it. It is a great LST tool.

2. I would switch to flower when they have filled out about 2/3rds of your net. I usually keep training them along the net for the first week of stretch and then let them go vertical for the next 7-10 days. That fills up the net and gets all the colas above the net. Anything below won't likely get enough light and can get removed after the stretch phase is over (16-19 days into flower). They'll end up 8-12" above your net if you do it that way. I have pictures in the journals (Grow 2 and 3) in my signature that might interest you. Just go to when I flip them and you can see how they stretched!

Day 40 of veg. Things are still looking really good here with lots of vigorous branch growth. Running week 6 Cocos A&B schedule now (1028 PPM) from H&G (plus molasses). Rotating the plants 1/4 turn 3-4 times per day to make sure all of the branch growth is as even as possible around the plants. Watering to about 25-30% runoff just to make sure I won't need to flush anytime soon. Plant tops have evened out now that I have applied a bit of LST. So good advice earlier on just doing a bit of training. I am going to get the SCROG installed this weekend. I figure by next Sunday I should be at a point where the SCROG should be about 60% full and I can then switch to flowering. I will continue to tuck for the first week of flower and then let the stretch take things above the SCROG. Hoping for 8-10" colas ideally.

A question here about runoff though. I PH all of my nutrients at 5.8-5.9. I just adjust until I am in that range and call it good. I had a solid 25-30% runoff tonight and decided to check the TDS and PH. TDS was measured in at 1240 PPM and PH was measured at 7.65. I am not overly surprised that the TDS is a bit higher as I charged the coco at 200 PPM with Calmag when transplanting to the 5 gallon eco-pots. However, 7.65 seems really high on the PH side of things. Most of my runoff has been reading at 6.5-6-8PH from the start. Not sure why it has spiked up a bit. Anyone know if this is of any concern?

Here are some shots of the ladies:

all-the-ladies-day-40.jpg

cbd-therapy-1-day-40.jpg

cbd-therapy-2-day-40.jpg

white-widow-1-day-40.jpg

white-widow-2-day-40.jpg

Day 40 of veg. Things are still looking really good here with lots of vigorous branch growth. Running week 6 Cocos A&B schedule now (1028 PPM) from H&G (plus molasses). Rotating the plants 1/4 turn 3-4 times per day to make sure all of the branch growth is as even as possible around the plants. Watering to about 25-30% runoff just to make sure I won't need to flush anytime soon. Plant tops have evened out now that I have applied a bit of LST. So good advice earlier on just doing a bit of training. I am going to get the SCROG installed this weekend. I figure by next Sunday I should be at a point where the SCROG should be about 60% full and I can then switch to flowering. I will continue to tuck for the first week of flower and then let the stretch take things above the SCROG. Hoping for 8-10" colas ideally.

A question here about runoff though. I PH all of my nutrients at 5.8-5.9. I just adjust until I am in that range and call it good. I had a solid 25-30% runoff tonight and decided to check the TDS and PH. TDS was measured in at 1240 PPM and PH was measured at 7.65. I am not overly surprised that the TDS is a bit higher as I charged the coco at 200 PPM with Calmag when transplanting to the 5 gallon eco-pots. However, 7.65 seems really high on the PH side of things. Most of my runoff has been reading at 6.5-6-8PH from the start. Not sure why it has spiked up a bit. Anyone know if this is of any concern?

Here are some shots of the ladies:

all-the-ladies-day-40.jpg

cbd-therapy-1-day-40.jpg

cbd-therapy-2-day-40.jpg

white-widow-1-day-40.jpg

white-widow-2-day-40.jpg

They are looking good Chappy! put the net on!

I get a higher run-off on my coco gals than what goes in, if I ph to 6.0 its always .8 to 1.0 higher, so I will PH to 5.8 and still get the same difference...as long as it is in the 6.0 to 7.0 range, I don't get to worried, if it gets above, flush, and check, and flush again if necessary. My RDWC starts out at 5.6 and peaks at 6.0, in 7 days, the PPM's drop as the PH rises

I did some serious fan leaf trimming (like a 2 quart serving bowl full) and put my scrog net on today, I plan on going 12/12 on the 19th just shy of 2 months since the seeds were soaked, if I have to wait till the 26th for a better looking scrog, I will, looks like you have no real issues so make them ladies!:goodjob:

Leaf salad...
plants_6-11-17_005.JPG

Day 58 of veg. I am waaaay late on getting my scrog setup. I got slammed at work for a week and then my mother-in-law came to visit for a week. Couldn't crack the tent wide open with her here. Stealth tent grow my ass. I crack open that tent in the basement and you can smell it 2 floors up in the house after about 15-20 minutes. I have started manually setting the exhaust fan to full speed (vented to outside) when I open up the tent but even then there is still an odour that seems to make its way upstairs. Tonight was no exception as I built and installed my scrog net. I had to pull all 4 girls out, given them a trim down below, and then reinstall along with the scrog net (pictures below). I also installed a drain table on top of cinder blocks in the grow tent and that is working sweet. My tent is 3 feet from my sump pump so this is now a breeze to water. Just water, walk away, and let it drain out to the sump pit (super handy for flushing and automated watering!!). This was in prep for my next install of a 25 gallon reservoir and pump+timer which is ordered and should be here Monday/Tues. In the meantime I have installed my drip rings. Watering by hand has been a bitch especially with no built in drain. Regardless, the screen is pretty full with bud sites as is, so I am actually also switching to flower cycle tomorrow morning. 7am-7pm for lights on seems like a good cycle. That gives me good access both before and after work. I will tuck for the next 10 days and then let the stretch finish and see what happens. I think things will work out just fine. It might get a bit cramped in the tent but a good lesson learned here on the first grow. Train early and plan to scrog early. Then switch to flower once things are abuot 60% full.

Here they are on June 14 (day 49 veg):

should-have-started-scrog-jun-14.jpg

Here they are now day 58 of veg under the freshly installed scrog:

post_scrog-install.jpg

And the newly installed drain table underneath:

flood-table-under_scrog.jpg

I should also mention that I am really liking this Mars Reflector 192 x 5w. This light has performed fantastic so far. The profile makes it really easy to fit high up in the tent when needed. It is also doing an excellent job with these plants. Very healthy and plant growth has been very good. There is no doubt that it will produce some big frosty nugs. I am sure that there will be some money shots over the next 8-9 weeks. Stay tuned ...

:volcano-smiley:

Day 58 of veg. I am waaaay late on getting my scrog setup. I got slammed at work for a week and then my mother-in-law came to visit for a week. Couldn't crack the tent wide open with her here. Stealth tent grow my ass. I crack open that tent in the basement and you can smell it 2 floors up in the house after about 15-20 minutes. I have started manually setting the exhaust fan to full speed (vented to outside) when I open up the tent but even then there is still an odour that seems to make its way upstairs. Tonight was no exception as I built and installed my scrog net. I had to pull all 4 girls out, given them a trim down below, and then reinstall along with the scrog net (pictures below). I also installed a drain table on top of cinder blocks in the grow tent and that is working sweet. My tent is 3 feet from my sump pump so this is now a breeze to water. Just water, walk away, and let it drain out to the sump pit (super handy for flushing and automated watering!!). This was in prep for my next install of a 25 gallon reservoir and pump+timer which is ordered and should be here Monday/Tues. In the meantime I have installed my drip rings. Watering by hand has been a bitch especially with no built in drain. Regardless, the screen is pretty full with bud sites as is, so I am actually also switching to flower cycle tomorrow morning. 7am-7pm for lights on seems like a good cycle. That gives me good access both before and after work. I will tuck for the next 10 days and then let the stretch finish and see what happens. I think things will work out just fine. It might get a bit cramped in the tent but a good lesson learned here on the first grow. Train early and plan to scrog early. Then switch to flower once things are abuot 60% full.

Here they are on June 14 (day 49 veg):

should-have-started-scrog-jun-14.jpg

Here they are now day 58 of veg under the freshly installed scrog:

post_scrog-install.jpg

And the newly installed drain table underneath:

flood-table-under_scrog.jpg

I have been waiting and waiting for a new update! Do you have a carbon filter in your tent? Helps my area immensely with smell. You can smell it when you hit about halfway down the stairs but nothing upstairs (one level above). Once you get into flower mode it is really going to smell. Net already looks full so as soon as they look perky and are all praying to the sky you should flip them. I noticed you said you'd be flipping them tomorrow but maybe an extra day or two would be worth it so they aren't as stressed

I personally love the reflector series. I've never tried anything else but my yields and bud have been great so I have no reason to switch at the moment to anything else. Glad to see this is still doing well. Look forward to the next update.

Day 1 flower. Bumped my nutrients today to the Cocos A&B week 1 flower schedule. I also added their Algen Extract (1ml/g) from the schedule as well. I am actually going to write a detailed entry on my experience with watering/feeding so far. It is really easy to forget to mention all of the nutrients that you are using and any changes to your scheduled watering. I think it would be really useful to keep a journal of each nutrient mix and note dates, times, and any changes. Same with, temps, humidity, and those types of things. Their should be some kind of standard template for these entries.

Anyways, I went through the scrog today and tucked in all of the fan leaves that were blocking any flowering sites in addition to the tucking of tops. This should make sure that I am maximising flowering sites and encourage them to stretch/grow. I figure that anything sticking below the canopy after the stretch can just be lopped off. Not sure how guys feel about this but I find a lot of conflicting information on the topic. Basically the debate around whether or not to prune after starting flower. My plan is to trim again around day 10 which is roughly when I plan to stop tucking.

The smell is quite awesome when you crack open the tent. I can only imagine what it is going to smell like when the tent is full of colas. Seriously, I need to find a way to get odour under control when opening up the tent. My quick session today left the main floor with that ever so subtle air of ganja. Any suggestions?

I have been waiting and waiting for a new update! Do you have a carbon filter in your tent? Helps my area immensely with smell. You can smell it when you hit about halfway down the stairs but nothing upstairs (one level above). Once you get into flower mode it is really going to smell. Net already looks full so as soon as they look perky and are all praying to the sky you should flip them. I noticed you said you'd be flipping them tomorrow but maybe an extra day or two would be worth it so they aren't as stressed

I personally love the reflector series. I've never tried anything else but my yields and bud have been great so I have no reason to switch at the moment to anything else. Glad to see this is still doing well. Look forward to the next update.

I do have a carbon filter that vents the air in the tent to outside the house. No smell at all outside when it is running so that is good. I try to remember to turn it to high (200CFM) when I open up the tent but even with one flap open, it doesn't seem to be able to contain the smell very well. Everyone in the house knows the grow is there so that isn't a big deal. It's only an issue if company stops by shortly after I ave been down there. Maybe an air ionizer would help get a handle on that? I don't really want to spend any money on that right now. Maybe for the second grow.

Quick question from a newbie. I have started my first grow with White widow from Crop King. My question: If one plant was outside, could you smell it 20 feet away?

Thanks in advance! Tomato Guy

Quick question from a newbie. I have started my first grow with White widow from Crop King. My question: If one plant was outside, could you smell it 20 feet away?

Thanks in advance! Tomato Guy

That will depend on the condition's outside and the plant you are growing. a still no wind hot humid day, yes, breezy, you will get a wiff now and then, windy, probably not until you are right up to it.

You can plant other aromatic plants surrounding it and mask it some, just depends on whom you have for noisy neighbors!

Day 16 flower. OTM, things are looking really good right now. I just did a second round of trimming under the scrog as well as thinning out the fan leaves in the canopy that were blocking light from getting to flowering sites. The CBD Therapy ended up stretching way more than the White Widow (about 2-3x!!!) So the White Widow are at the perfect scrog height that I wanted but the CBD Therapy are towering over them a bit. I think this is because the White Widow actually started to pre-flower just before I installed the scrog so they didn't stretch as much. I went ahead and pinched the stems about 5 inches down from the tops on the CBD Therapy. This allowed me to get some control of the canopy height and they will recover just fine.

scrog-flower.jpg

white-widow-flower.jpg

Hey Chappy
I'm doing my first indoor grow atm, also in Coco, at Week 3 in Flower Tent and Grow Number 2 is in the Veg Tent. I just stumbled onto your journal (subb'd) and am really impressed..Good Stuff! I will be following with interest to see the remaining weeks until harvest. Thanks!

Day 16 flower. OTM, things are looking really good right now. I just did a second round of trimming under the scrog as well as thinning out the fan leaves in the canopy that were blocking light from getting to flowering sites. The CBD Therapy ended up stretching way more than the White Widow (about 2-3x!!!) So the White Widow are at the perfect scrog height that I wanted but the CBD Therapy are towering over them a bit. I think this is because the White Widow actually started to pre-flower just before I installed the scrog so they didn't stretch as much. I went ahead and pinched the stems about 5 inches down from the tops on the CBD Therapy. This allowed me to get some control of the canopy height and they will recover just fine.

Its looking great in there Chappy, Keep up the good work!:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom