Chappy's Coco White Widow & CBD Therapy Grow Journal - 2017

Day 64 flower. I am pretty happy with where things are at right now. The White Widow trichomes are about 5% amber and 95% milky. The CBD Therapy are about 10% amber and 90% milky. If I zoom in at 100x I actually see new clear trichome development on both as well but it is very minimal. I don't want too much of a couch lock for either strain so I am starting flush today and will harvest in approx 5 days from now.

The White Widow have grown some nice thick colas that range in length from 5" - 10". They are thick, firm, chunky, and caked in frost. It looks like between the two White Widows I will get somewhere around 10oz which is pretty awesome. I will do a final weigh in after it has been dried. The smell from the white widow is pretty intense with its earthy, woody, and pungent aroma. These did very well under the MARS Reflector 192x5 led lights. Stretch was about perfect for a scrog and the canopy was very manageable at 6-8" in height. An excellent strain for the led + scrog combination.

The CBD Therapy have been an interesting strain to grow. They stretched much more than the White Widow and produced large fan leaves. This made it somewhat difficult to manage under the scrog and they were not a good companion choice to go along with White Widow in a scrog. The flowering periods were compatible but the growth characteristics were not. I ended up having to prune a significant number of fan leaves as they quickly crowded out the scrog and were blocking far too many bud sites. As a result, the buds did not grow nearly as big as they could/should have. The buds it did produce though are even frostier than the White Widow and there are thick patches of sugar leaves just caked in trichomes at each flowering site. I will probably only yield about 2oz from the CBD Therapy which is a bit disappointing. If I grew them again it would have to be on their own and I would have to do a better job managing the stretch. The two plants on their own could have filled out the 4x4 scrog. The aroma coming off of the CBD Therapy is amazing. It has this pungent citrusy orange aroma that I just can't get enough of. I will likely give this strain another shot at growing but I would veg this one much shorter and start the scrog sooner.

Overall I am super happy with this grow. The MARS Reflector 192x5 is a quality light and very well suited for scrog. It looks like anything 6-10" under the canopy is receiving adequate light penetration to grow some nice firm buds. When I look at the WW buds that are down at the scrog screen, they are just as frosty and firm as those at the top. If you are looking to scrog and can keep your canopy under 10", you will not be disappointed with this light. Super easy to manage heat and to be honest, I haven't even noticed a change in my hydro bills. Looks like it cost me about $0.63/day during veg and about $0.54/day during flower. So we are talking well under $100 for the entire grow. Hats off to MARS! :bravo: I will be using this light for many grows.

day-64-flower-1.jpg

day-64-flower-2.jpg

day-64-flower-white-widow_colas-1.jpg

day-64-flower-white-widow_colas-2.jpg

day-64-flower-white-widow_colas-3.jpg

Hey Chappy! I lost track of ya without many updates! It's fun for followers to see them grow week by week. If you do another journal you should try and make sure you get a post up once a week!

These are looking pretty dang good man! I know this is your first attempt and you have to be pretty dang happy with it. Look at all the different techniques you got to try and learn from and still have a successful harvest. Can't wait to see your second grow and the end of this one. Hopefully you do another journal. If you do drop me the link in my journal!

Day 64 flower. I am pretty happy with where things are at right now. The White Widow trichomes are about 5% amber and 95% milky. The CBD Therapy are about 10% amber and 90% milky. If I zoom in at 100x I actually see new clear trichome development on both as well but it is very minimal. I don't want too much of a couch lock for either strain so I am starting flush today and will harvest in approx 5 days from now.

The White Widow have grown some nice thick colas that range in length from 5" - 10". They are thick, firm, chunky, and caked in frost. It looks like between the two White Widows I will get somewhere around 10oz which is pretty awesome. I will do a final weigh in after it has been dried. The smell from the white widow is pretty intense with its earthy, woody, and pungent aroma. These did very well under the MARS Reflector 192x5 led lights. Stretch was about perfect for a scrog and the canopy was very manageable at 6-8" in height. An excellent strain for the led + scrog combination.

The CBD Therapy have been an interesting strain to grow. They stretched much more than the White Widow and produced large fan leaves. This made it somewhat difficult to manage under the scrog and they were not a good companion choice to go along with White Widow in a scrog. The flowering periods were compatible but the growth characteristics were not. I ended up having to prune a significant number of fan leaves as they quickly crowded out the scrog and were blocking far too many bud sites. As a result, the buds did not grow nearly as big as they could/should have. The buds it did produce though are even frostier than the White Widow and there are thick patches of sugar leaves just caked in trichomes at each flowering site. I will probably only yield about 2oz from the CBD Therapy which is a bit disappointing. If I grew them again it would have to be on their own and I would have to do a better job managing the stretch. The two plants on their own could have filled out the 4x4 scrog. The aroma coming off of the CBD Therapy is amazing. It has this pungent citrusy orange aroma that I just can't get enough of. I will likely give this strain another shot at growing but I would veg this one much shorter and start the scrog sooner.

Sounds like your Widows are a lot like mine, I cut one down that had some issues last weekend, but still have 2 to go and they are both different pheno's, one with rock hard Christmas tree nugs and the other with long fat tops and filler following the stems.

You will have fun this weekend!

Hey Chappy! I lost track of ya without many updates! It's fun for followers to see them grow week by week. If you do another journal you should try and make sure you get a post up once a week!

These are looking pretty dang good man! I know this is your first attempt and you have to be pretty dang happy with it. Look at all the different techniques you got to try and learn from and still have a successful harvest. Can't wait to see your second grow and the end of this one. Hopefully you do another journal. If you do drop me the link in my journal!

Couldn't agree more. My intent when I started was to keep a super detailed journal and looking back I wish I had. That will definitely be a motivating factor for future journals. I am actually starting to plan my next grow. Looking at growing some Kush. I have narrowed it down to some combination of Master Kush, Purple Kush, CBD Kush, and Critical Kush. Time to start reading through some Kush based grow journals!

Just checking in on the plants this evening and after 3 days I can now see signs that the plants are starting to consume the remaining nutrients from the leaves. So it looks like either Sat or Sun will be harvest day depending on how yellowed up everything gets. I'll make sure I post some pictures of pre/post harvest.

Just finished bucking and trimming the smallest of the plants which was a White Widow. A ridiculous amount of bud came off of this plant. If I was to guess on a dry weight I would say 4oz. The second White Widow is just thick everywhere. Much more so than the one I just bucked. The Buds are just rock solid as well. Took about 2 hours to get through that one plant. Going to be a long afternoon ... :volcano-smiley:

white-widow-trimmed-1.jpg

Congratulations chappy, buds are great:cheer:

Just finished bucking and trimming the smallest of the plants which was a White Widow. A ridiculous amount of bud came off of this plant. If I was to guess on a dry weight I would say 4oz. The second White Widow is just thick everywhere. Much more so than the one I just bucked. The Buds are just rock solid as well. Took about 2 hours to get through that one plant. Going to be a long afternoon ... :volcano-smiley:

white-widow-trimmed-1.jpg

Wow this is a tonne of work! I took a break in the evening and came back for another session. It took me 6 hours to trim up one of the CBD Therapy and I still have a full CBD Therapy to trim. The crystal on the CBD Therapy is insane. The top of the colas are just completely frosted over and super hard. The sugar leaves are caked as well. Even the fan leaves have frosty goodness on them. However, they didn't produce big colas like I was expecting so it has been a lot more effort to trim them. Just throwing a guess out there for total dry weight I am pretty sure I am going to be over 1 pound in total.

drying17.jpg

Quick update here. I had to harvest over 2 days so I staggered out my drying time slowly moving to curing jars (5 days of drying time). My drying room was 50%RH and 73F steady. I hung to dry all of the main branches after being trimmed. All of the white widow was manicured. A bunch of the CBD Therapy is getting used for edibles so I wasn't as picky on the trim job. However, trichs were thick on all of the leaves with the exception of a few fan leaves. I did nicely trim up about 2.5 oz of the premium buds though ;). Everything is currently curing in 5L Air sealed jars with Boveda 62% 2-way humidity control packets (large). Here is the breakdown:

2 x 2/3 full 5L jar White Widow (68F, 65%RH) - smoking
3 x 3/4 full 5L jar CBD Therapy (68F, 69%RH) - edibles
1 x 2/3 full 5L jar CBD Therapy (68F, 69%RH) - smoking
1 x full 1.5L jar White Widow Trim (68F, 61%RH) - edibles
1 x full 1.5L jar CBD Therapy Trim (68F, 61%RH) - edibles

jars-o-nugs-1.jpg

jars-o-nugs-2.jpg

The CBD Therapy dried as long as the White Widow but was more resinous. As a result, it hasn't dried as quickly. The 62% Bovedas should keep them in check. I am burping twice a day for a few hours each time. Also giving the jars a little jostling to loosen up the mass of nugs during burp. The smell is now starting to switch from that grassy smell to that more dank smell and the terpenes are really starting to pop a bit.

From a smokability standpoint, the White Widow is already relatively smooth and burns half decent for where it is at in the curing process. I don't get any chemical or nutrient flavor at all and the ash is burning light grey so I think I did well on the flushing front as well. It doesn't take much to light you up either. Potency is already packing a punch. Will pack a punch once it reaches full potency. Not too couch lock either which is nice. I can smoke on that, find a groove, and be productive.

The CBD Therapy has a real nice burn. Most likely because it is fairly resinous. Really nice terpene profile as well. It is definitely a relaxation and pain relieving strain. Produces a fairly heavy body stone effect making you feel a little numb. Blazed the other night before going to bed. Had a fantastic sleep.

Just giving another 10-14 days for the cure to finish up and then I can give you guys a tally on weight. Then it will be time to start making some canabutter!! :volcano-smiley:

Figured it was time for an update. I have been burping the jars 2 times a day for about an hour each time. The aroma developing on the CBD Therapy is super dank and the buds are very resinous and caked thick in trichs. The tips of the main colas all have a purplish tinge to them and are really hard and sticky. I am pretty sure that this is a result of pruning off to many fan leaves on the CBD Therapy. The flowers didn't grow big like I see from this strain in other grows. Instead they grew short, fat, and sticky. The aroma on the White Widow is much more earthy but gets very dank when you crack into a nug. The White Widow is not as resinous as the CBD Therapy. The buds are compact and firm but not sticky icky like the CBD Therapy. Very happy with both!

I have been monitoring the humidity in the jars as well and have just been rotating around a digital hygrometer in each of the jars. Everything has been nice and stable at 70F 62% RH for the past few days so I decided it was time to bring them out, cleanup the buds from the stems, and give everything a weigh-in. Here were my results:

White Widow
Buds (smoke): 5.1 oz
Trim: 1.37 oz

CBD Therapy
Buds (smoke): 2.35 oz
Buds (extracts): 8.16 oz
Trim: 1.52 oz

Total Bud: 15.61 oz
Total Trim: 2.89 oz

That is pretty amazing considering this is my first grow and I am using a 4x4 tent with a 450W led light. Just shy of 1 lb of bud. Again, couldn't be happier with the MARS Reflector 192 x 5. Can't wait to see what it can do in the next grow!! BTW looks like the next grow is going to be a 4 plant scrog of Green Crack.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom