Cheap CFL 100w Homemade Reflector - J.J.

JokerJohn

Im all for cheap DIY Grows awesome to see what a person can produce on a tight budget if needed. Light reflection is a big deal in growing it can make or break grow. heres a cheap can reflector for 100w CFL bulbs i saw on another site cheap but effective thought all you guys on a budget might like it!!
Lets Begin :)

R011.jpg

You will need a CFL Bulb, Soda Can, and a pair of Household Scissors.
R021.jpg

Remove the can top.

R031.jpg

Cut out the top of the can around the inner outline.

R051.jpg

All the way around.

R06.jpg

Your can should now look like this.

R07.jpg

Make a slit in the side of the can to be able to start cutting.

R08.jpg

Cut out a small triangle towards the top of the can to make working with the metal easier.

R09.jpg

Something like this.

R102.jpg

Cut along the top brim, DO NOT cut all the way around, just the part you are removing for the reflector.

R114.jpg

Starting to look like something, eh?

R122.jpg

Now cut the same space out alont the bottom brim.

R131.jpg

Also on the bottom of the can, cut out the circle in the middle.

R141.jpg

Almost Done :roorrip:

R151.jpg

Make a slit in the top brim to form a clamp.

R161.jpg

Installing the Reflector is quite easy, you will need a CFL bulb (100 Watt Pictured) and your newly made reflector.

R181.jpg

Adjust so the clamp sits around the base and there is a little room between the reflector and the bulb itself.

R201.jpg

Finished, Fine Lookin Things Arent They?

R213.jpg

Thanks guys Thanks :420:

I wonder if there is any possibility of the aluminum giving off gases from the light and leaking into the plants. CFL's are already toxic to begin with.

Thats a very good question 420 , its possible but you would have to pretty much have the can really really really im talking REALLY hot :hmmmm: and at melting point before the gases would start to leak out and cause harm to your plants.
Aluminum turns into a gas after it melts and reaches it boiling point 2518.85 C. At that point it starts evaporating (i.e. turning to gas).

:Namaste::peace:

You should check the tests I just did with cfls and best reflective surfaces. White wins. Spray the inside white. Besides that, you want a bigger reflector to increase max lux.

Check this out. Without my hood, my for cfls 64w, 2x 32w, and 13w procude 20,000 lux from 4 inches away. But with my DIY hood, painted white inside, they push out 30,000 lux. That is 10,000 more lux.

Check out the results of different materials I tested.

Conducted tests for best reflective surface for your lights/hoods

I know this is old but anyone looking to make a cheap reflector hood. Get a bed lamp with footling tube lamp shade. Cut straight line down lampshade, do same cut a little less than half way around. Join two cuts on the top and bottom and remove this bit of lampshade. Get block out grow room plastic and cut out a piece to cover remaining lampshade cover and half the top and bottom of lampshade. Now hang you reflector/lampshade horizontally with hooks and get those girls growing..... Peace

Back
Top Bottom