Chromes First Indoor: Soil, Grapefruit Autos x4

Hey Chr0m3y,

I wouldn’t chop before New Years Eve, maybe cut a sampler bud or two if you like but just based on appearance of the pistils - she’s got tons of growth left to accomplish. No they won’t grow much taller but the buds will pack on girth and density.

The dates given by breeders and seed companies are very optimistic estimates of how long it takes to flower. Again these dates are very optimistic and point to the early side of the harvest window. The problem with early harvest bud is a 15 minute buzz followed by a headache. I would wait until all of the pistils have turned dark and crinkled up, at that point I would snip a calyx or two from the top of the plant and use loupe or scope to check trich colors for ripeness.

As long as they are still spitting out fresh, light-colored pistils - then overall bud growth is still happening!

That’s my 2 cents but please consider all other opinions...

Hey Chr0m3y,

I wouldn’t chop before New Years Eve, maybe cut a sampler bud or two if you like but just based on appearance of the pistils - she’s got tons of growth left to accomplish. No they won’t grow much taller but the buds will pack on girth and density.

The dates given by breeders and seed companies are very optimistic estimates of how long it takes to flower. Again these dates are very optimistic and point to the early side of the harvest window. The problem with early harvest bud is a 15 minute buzz followed by a headache. I would wait until all of the pistils have turned dark and crinkled up, at that point I would snip a calyx or two from the top of the plant and use loupe or scope to check trich colors for ripeness.

As long as they are still spitting out fresh, light-colored pistils - then overall bud growth is still happening!

That’s my 2 cents but please consider all other opinions...
Im sure you remember your first crop and sitting there staring at them while your lips are smacking haha. But I'm definitely planning on letting them go as long as possible, I'm looking for that 70-80% cloudy trichs. Thanks for the input on the breeder dates and such, I was starting to wonder if the time frame they give is just for the flowering period alone. As for the pistils, I've been trying to keep close eye on them for new growth but I just cant tell when new stuff pops up as theres so much already lol, i do notice more are starting to turn dark on a few different bud sites now.
I havent said it yet I dont think, but thank you for all your help and guidance!

Merry christmas everyone! Hope you all have good holidays and new years! Things going great over here, waiting patiently for the girls to finish their thing. When I open the door, I get hit with very strong citrus smells and light hints of grapefruit fill the air. Amazon cancelled my microscope order because of shipping reasons and now there isnt any sellers that can ship those to my address. So in the mean time I got a crappy 20x lens that feels impossible to really see what's going on. so other than looking at trichromes, is there other good indicators for maturity?

20201224_190932.jpg

20201224_190956.jpg

Screenshot_20201224-161212_Gallery.jpg

Sage advice is wait until you think they are done - then add a week or two. By the pics you are getting close, I’d guess a week out still.

Normally in flower all of the pistils are fresh, light colored and spiked up. As you near the harvest window nearly all of the pistils will turn dark, crinkle up and shrink inwards. There is a phone app called magnifyer you can download, it’s not the best but will work in a pinch. Maybe have package shipped to a friend, relative or work location in town?

Sage advice is wait until you think they are done - then add a week or two. By the pics you are getting close, I’d guess a week out still.

Normally in flower all of the pistils are fresh, light colored and spiked up. As you near the harvest window nearly all of the pistils will turn dark, crinkle up and shrink inwards. There is a phone app called magnifyer you can download, it’s not the best but will work in a pinch. Maybe have package shipped to a friend, relative or work location in town?
This waiting part sucks lol I had my friend come over and he seems to think 2 girls are ready to come down and gave them a little haircut. The other 2 are half ready, because i used such a small light and i don't think it was hung dead centre, half the buds look good and rest are still very white. With an autoflower, can I harvest select buds and rotate the plants as needed? You'll really notice it in front right corner, in the first pic. Otherwise things are moving along nicely!

20201228_182750.jpg

20201227_214722.jpg

never done partial harvest on an autoflower but it should work ok I think. An auto is born with an implied toe tag of death, it can’t come back and reveg or re-grow like a photo can is my understanding so it’s on a faster timeline, but by taking the top cola it should just re-direct growth to the rest of the plant. Slim chance it could crap its pants cuz it’s an auto but think it will just keep on going to the end.

never done partial harvest on an autoflower but it should work ok I think. An auto is born with an implied toe tag of death, it can’t come back and reveg or re-grow like a photo can is my understanding so it’s on a faster timeline, but by taking the top cola it should just re-direct growth to the rest of the plant. Slim chance it could crap its pants cuz it’s an auto but think it will just keep on going to the end.
Ya it's a gamble I guess lol we'll see how they responded to the trimming I did. If I stressed them too much I may have no choice. Worst case I still get what looks like some pretty nice buds and a bunch I can press

I think it’s prolly fine but I still can’t grow autos for crap!! I stunt them every time... ha, ha but it’s true! I stick with photos and I know for sure no probs with doing partial harvest on photos. Let me know how it turns out
I'll do up a report! I got one more run of different strains next to get a variety and then I'll be doing photos using either wappa or tropic punch, depending which arrives first lol

Well I went and did something entirely different lol. I took a bunch of that wire soft tie stuff and I wrapped the girls to tighten them up a little bit and I got rid of the saucers so i could push them together more. I've got my canopy down to 2.5x2.5 which should help quite a bit. Figured if I'm taking the risk of harming the plant with a partial harvest, a very very light bending was the better option with lesser risk. We will see!

Cut 2 down today! My friend loaned me a scope lastnight and saw mostly cloudy and some looked like they were just starting to get a gold/amber glow. I got 2 left for a couple more days I think, hopefully not much longer as I'd like to start my next run. I accidently broke off a little branch a few days ago and its finally dried so I'll get a little sample tonight

20201231_075654.jpg

20201231_075649.jpg

It’s ok, the hay smell will dissipate over time.

I always start with budwashing right at harvest. Then I wet trim and hack off the big fan leaves & anything burnt or crispy. I hang dry for 4 hours and then do low & slow fridge cure with paper bags. But dry hang is ok too. Just monitor temp & rh, don’t point fan at your produce but keep air moving. Don’t let it drop below 55rh or the dry cure process has stopped. Get mini hygrometers for inside your jars.

Gonna drop link to Harvest Prep & Curing page - lots of good threads over there. Harvest Prep & Curing

It’s ok, the hay smell will dissipate over time.

I always start with budwashing right at harvest. Then I wet trim and hack off the big fan leaves & anything burnt or crispy. I hang dry for 4 hours and then do low & slow fridge cure with paper bags. But dry hang is ok too. Just monitor temp & rh, don’t point fan at your produce but keep air moving. Don’t let it drop below 55rh or the dry cure process has stopped. Get mini hygrometers for inside your jars.

Gonna drop link to Harvest Prep & Curing page - lots of good threads over there. Harvest Prep & Curing
I didn't bud wash, I had never heard of that until a couple months ago so I didnt do it this time, but next run I will try that. Lots of good info in that link, thank you. From what I'm reading in there I should be sitting right in the sweet spot

Back
Top Bottom