Clones w/weird leaves, cull?

Electricthom

Hey all,
I have a question or two about my clones. During my first grow, I took clones from a mother plant (low grade bagseed) 12 days into 12/12 when she showed sex but she turned Hermi about 4 weeks into flower possible after I broke off a main large branch drying up the main stem at pot level. She dried up and died on me by week six. The clones had hard time (my first attempt cloning) getting started and 3 out of 5 died. The other two are comming back but have strange leaves. Some single blade to 3 blade smooth and no saw teeth on edges. They're the two small ones in the middle but all six attempted clones (4 from another mother) have the goofy leaf growth. I must be at fault but no idea what other than maybe some nutes got in their water or hormones because they were starting to flower when taken.
IMAG05435.jpg

They were started in a self watering tray in coco then put in hempy solo cups with same low dose time release frets I started my seedlings in after their a week old.
Question is what should I do with them,
1) Are those two going to hermie too and should I just scrap them now?
2) What about the younger larger clones with weird leaves, are they a waste of time? Will it be back to the drawing board with next batch of seeds?

Hi Elect

I had some strange leaves on 2 of my clones as well. I grew them out and by week 4 flower all was well. Got some nice bud from those clones so id recommend growing them out. When a plant hermi's its usually due to some stress that we as the grower usually cause. To much heat, bad ph, wacked out ppm etc etc.

Keep a close eye on the ph of your runoff. Very important. Keep your grow area well ventilated and keep things nice and clean to prevent contamination.

Good luck

Thanks Bobulak, the first mother had been through heat stress, ph issues and one ruff handling, and any another stress you can think of that a newbie causes. All part of a first grow I assume. I wondered if since the two little ones went through the same hardships as their mother before cutting and even more after, that they might hermie too. I'll give them a couple more weeks in veg and then watch them closer than I did their mother. I'd like to think I know how to control things better now as far as environment and Ph. :peace:

Its too early to trim dont do it, the plant needs the leaves for photosynthesis it converts sunlight into food so doing that isnt recommended. Just be patient man, trimming is something you do when bud sites arent getting enough light or you wanna lolipop or the fan leaves are dying

Agree with Exile-again.. Dont trim yet mate, wait til theres a neccessary need for it,ie; disease, dead leaves.. I havent grwn many clones, so my knowledge is limited but yeah, there was most likely a stress issue when you started em, the plant is in essence starting from scratch, so it may grow diferent shaped leaves until it establishes itself.. How ever keep an eye on early sexing signs, just in case u get a male or hermi. From pics, they seem to be living and fairly healthy atm, nice green to the leaves, watch for any issues of either nute burn/deficiency s or ph, temp probs. And giving those are all reasonable i rekn you mite get a nice surprise in a couple weeks! Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;)

Yeah smoke they are rich dark green and healthy leaf just a weird shape. Would never think of trimming her yet. It was between nutes and found my meter was out of whack, read 8.3 in a 7.0 solution when I calibrated it. That means the true PH I was giving them was in the 4.5 -5.0 range and that may have warped the leaf shape. They are slowly returning to a more recognized shape. :peace:

Thats what i like to hear!! Hopefully its past its little freak out and will start to flourish.. keep us posted..

when cloning the plant reverse and start over this is very common no panic there. and for first time your sucess rate was very high you did however leave to much leaves on the clones su they sucked themselfs dry. just because they bend and look like they are not taking dosent always mean that. i will send you a really good clone method. but clonex is by far the best product out there powder or jel and they now have a spray. also get some hydrogen peroxide. when you trim leaf to clone put a dab on the open cuts you trim. this will keep desease bacteria and fungus out of your plants.[very importent.] and you should never dis bag seed.. it is by far the highest genitics out there for pure strains and has the highest posible imune systems. and you can grow that stuff to top shelf quality.the problem with comercial pot is they pick at about or close to the right time but when they pack and ship it it loses about 50 to 80% of its potency. and you have a higher percentage of discovering a super plant. like above 25% tricomes stonyness. because comercial bag weed has thousands of seeds and hundreds of plants and is grown primarily in the wild so most are already resistant to alot of bugs and bios the common indoor grower gets from seed banks. seed banks have one inherant problem. very small gene pool.and alot of the bag weed is really super high grade stuff. especially when you grow it and take care of it. it can be 10 to 50 times better then what you smoked out of the bag when you bought it. TRUST ME ON THIS. where do you think they all got the killer stuff today[besides chemically induced mutants]. most really good stuff out there is from pure strains and very little cross breading. there are alot of hybreds. i found that if you can get a pure sativa bag weed and a pure indica strain you can cross some really killer shit on your own. almost by default. especially if ya know how to pic a good mother and a good father. you may get lucky with a super strain. but for sure your stuff will be as good or better then top shelf if you know your strain. and it is way cheaper to buy bag weed with some seed then buy very expensive seed bank stuff.

Back
Top Bottom