Colloidal Silver: How strong is too strong?

Hi All,

I've been planning to use colloidal silver for awhile now, I just needed to get some medicine grown before trying it. Now I'm ready, but I have a few questions about the procedure.

I am growing 8 plants (2 plants each of 4 strains of autos). I intend to take 1 plant of each strain and apply colloidal silver to it.

Can I spray half the plant and collect the pollen to apply to the other side of the plant, or do I need to apply the pollen to the other plant of that strain?

Is it OK to just take the plant out of the tent and spray it on the nearby workbench, and then return it to the tent? Or do I need to create a separate area to house each plant?

How dangerous is the airborne colloidal silver? Will it contaminate the other plants, making them unsafe to consume? Is there another way to apply the colloidal silver? I am trying to utilize my growing space as well as I can, and if I can make feminized seeds from one plant AND grow the other plant out to harvest, I would be a very happy camper. If it is safer to make feminized seeds and THEN grow for harvest, that is what I'll do.

Thanks,

FP. :peace:

Hi All,

I've been planning to use colloidal silver for awhile now, I just needed to get some medicine grown before trying it. Now I'm ready, but I have a few questions about the procedure.

I am growing 8 plants (2 plants each of 4 strains of autos). I intend to take 1 plant of each strain and apply colloidal silver to it.

Can I spray half the plant and collect the pollen to apply to the other side of the plant, or do I need to apply the pollen to the other plant of that strain?

Is it OK to just take the plant out of the tent and spray it on the nearby workbench, and then return it to the tent? Or do I need to create a separate area to house each plant?

How dangerous is the airborne colloidal silver? Will it contaminate the other plants, making them unsafe to consume? Is there another way to apply the colloidal silver? I am trying to utilize my growing space as well as I can, and if I can make feminized seeds from one plant AND grow the other plant out to harvest, I would be a very happy camper. If it is safer to make feminized seeds and THEN grow for harvest, that is what I'll do.

Thanks,

After my first try I've decided that next time I'll be doing one plant at a time. I'll be spraying one section of it and just let it do its thing. No collection required. Just let it fall on the rest of the plant.

I agree with the one plant being best. If you reverse more than one you won't know what pollen made what seed.

I would avoid getting C.S. anywhere you don't want it. All you need to do is cut a slit in a piece of cardboard and use it to shield the lower part of the plant. I take the plant out of the tent to spray so it doesn't get on other plants. And yes you can use one part of the plant to pollinate the other side. Or top to bottom how ever you do it.

You can still do multiple strains with it for hybrids if you want. Just only spray one plant and let it pollinate itself and the others.

I agree with the one plant being best. If you reverse more than one you won't know what pollen made what seed.

I would avoid getting C.S. anywhere you don't want it. All you need to do is cut a slit in a piece of cardboard and use it to shield the lower part of the plant. I take the plant out of the tent to spray so it doesn't get on other plants. And yes you can use one part of the plant to pollinate the other side. Or top to bottom how ever you do it.

You can still do multiple strains with it for hybrids if you want. Just only spray one plant and let it pollinate itself and the others.
After reading your post I realized it's probably silly to do just one tho. I'm gonna do 2 different types but only spray one to get a cross and a whatever it's called when it's not a cross lol

The plant you reverse will give you S-1 seeds. The others will be F-1 hybrids just like with regular strains.

what does the F and S stand for? and are there 2,3,4 ect?

Thank you all, you've given me much to think about.

I had read that autos are harder to self pollinate than photoperiods using colloidal silver. Is this true?

I have also read that if you time it right you can lop the ripe pollen sacs off as they are about to open and put them in a bag to dry out. This would let me control which pollen was in which bag for making seeds. Once I had the 4 different pollins I could kill the colloidal silver plants, clean the tent out and move the other 4 plants that I am going to pollinate from the grow rack to the tent, without disrupting our perpetual grow cycle too much. I just need to stagger the seed plants germination a few weeks after the colloidal silver plants germination.

Hmmm...

Thank you all, you've given me much to think about.

I had read that autos are harder to self pollinate than photoperiods using colloidal silver. Is this true?

I have also read that if you time it right you can lop the ripe pollen sacs off as they are about to open and put them in a bag to dry out. This would let me control which pollen was in which bag for making seeds. Once I had the 4 different pollins I could kill the colloidal silver plants, clean the tent out and move the other 4 plants that I am going to pollinate from the grow rack to the tent, without disrupting our perpetual grow cycle too much. I just need to stagger the seed plants germination a few weeks after the colloidal silver plants germination.

Hmmm...

I hope that's not true about autos. i'm gonna try self a critical purple soon. the whole collection process has been little more than nerve racking lol. i just did 4 different kinds and got 2 plants done with their own pollen, but another with who knows what lol.

i might do 2 plants at a time. CS one of them and hopefully end up with some s1 and f1 seeds ( learned those terms today lol)

considering it seems that every other strain i look at is crossed with OG Kush, i think that's gonna be a good one to mix with.

Well I'm jumping in the deep end. I'm going to do four strains of autos (Dark Devil, Northern Lights, Jack Herer and Blueberry). I'll put them in their own tent and hit them with the colloidal silver and get as much pollen from each strain as I can.

I'm in Canada, anybody know where to get 99.99% pure silver up here? Maybe I should have secured the silver before I dropped the seeds in the water. LoL!

Well I'm jumping in the deep end. I'm going to do four strains of autos (Dark Devil, Northern Lights, Jack Herer and Blueberry). I'll put them in their own tent and hit them with the colloidal silver and get as much pollen from each strain as I can.

I'm in Canada, anybody know where to get 99.99% pure silver up here? Maybe I should have secured the silver before I dropped the seeds in the water. LoL!

here's my journal if you wanna check it out. i got some serious pollen sacs. didn't get any out of 1 of 4, yet anyway.
get the juno beach coin from the post lol

...the Zon is the easiest resource to find it .ca or .com there is a product(use straight out of the bottle) that another member swears by, but it's on the stateside version, so US dollars and shipping...

...you also may want to think about using STS instead...arguably, a higher success rate?
...lots to look at on the .ca sie tho'...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:

what does the F and S stand for? and are there 2,3,4 ect?

I have no idea what the F stands for. It has been around as long as I have been growing and reading about strains. Yes there are F-2, F-3 and on up. I know the Blueberry Second Generation is using(DJ Shorts son) is a F-4 now.

The S I do know. It stands for selfed. There can be S-2 or more if someone wanted to try it. Sooner or later things would go wrong with selfing to many times.

I have no idea what the F stands for. It has been around as long as I have been growing and reading about strains. Yes there are F-2, F-3 and on up. I know the Blueberry Second Generation is using(DJ Shorts son) is a F-4 now.

The S I do know. It stands for selfed. There can be S-2 or more if someone wanted to try it. Sooner or later things would go wrong with selfing to many times.

so if i self it, then self the seeds it made and so on, it would end up with some weird traits?

Even when you self a plant you are going to get some surprises. The Juicy Fruit smelling Crittical I grow has a new apple smelling pheno that came out of no where.

You loose vigor and other things as you continue to self a strain. Pretty much like cloning a clone. You loose genetic information after a while. How long I don't know. I wouldn't thing doing it twice would hurt much though.

Even when you self a plant you are going to get some surprises. The Juicy Fruit smelling Crittical I grow has a new apple smelling pheno that came out of no where.

You loose vigor and other things as you continue to self a strain. Pretty much like cloning a clone. You loose genetic information after a while. How long I don't know. I wouldn't thing doing it twice would hurt much though.

awesome info, thank you. it's funny that you said that about the critical because the one i have growing smells like a bowl of fruit for sure. it smells more fruity than the blue rhino did.

Whats funny. I crossed that same Critical with a really fruity Chocoloco. The hybrid is growing great. The Critical really added a bunch of trichomes. Thing is, it smells like pine now. How 2 really fruity strains caused pine is beyond me. The pine smell is really strong. It is also the only plant with any amount of smell right now. I am just getting to week 4 of flower so smell is rare at this stage. I just so happen to have a picture LMAO.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Re the dangers of colloidal silver on the plants - there is definitely some unknown territory when it comes to smoking silver that may have bonded with elements in the plant. It’s just not something that’s been tested.

Silver is generally considered safe and non toxic to humans though, and IMO, generally speaking the dire warnings you read on canna-forums in huge red capital letters saying stuff like
DO NOT SMOKE ANY PART OF THE PLANT YOU HAVE SPRAYED!!!!!” are just Chicken Little variety opinions based on - nothing really, except fear of the unknown and the tendency to believe and repeat stuff written in huge red letters.
I’m not saying that anyone should go smoking sprayed buds, (why would you?) just that, IMO, there is no basis for any such panicky proclamations around the use of silver in this fashion and these tiny amounts.

There’s a thread here Smoking Plants that have been treated with Colloidal Silver
where I felt like we pretty much worked the subject into the ground as well as was possible to do at the time.

Back
Top Bottom