Composting compost? Vermi-style!

They sell red wrigglers where I am as bait...
Canadian Tire / Canadian Nightcrawlers.

Vague in terms of describing them. Time and worm castings will tell. I think European nightcrawlers can do a similar job to Red wrigglers.

They are just "out of season" right now. Once I get my hands on them, I'll try to build another VC bin, and do a compare and contrast. Nightcrawler castings vs. Red wrigger.

More dense than hot, so I cut in about 25% perlite and some coco...then I add my amendments.
Okay perfecto! I'm right at that point. Do you mind sharing what amendments you add?

Sorry, I swear I took a screen shot of this exact convo last year, I just cant find it in my phone anywhere

Vague in terms of describing them. Time and worm castings will tell. I think European nightcrawlers can do a similar job to Red wrigglers.

They are just "out of season" right now. Once I get my hands on them, I'll try to build another VC bin, and do a compare and contrast. Nightcrawler castings vs. Red wrigger.
Be sure to post your results please! I'm going a little head first into all of this so if like to catalog it.

Also for any and all who are growing under the sun (any form), are using a LOS or "supersoil" I encourage you to stop by and contribute to "the great outdoor group grow" in honor of bonsai weed a late great member of this forum community.

Link is here...

Not nuts...I have seen others do that but they are not adding components (lettuce, coffee grounds, eggshells, etc) that you would to a worm bin...they are supplementing the worms with teas...too much work for me but the person I have seen doing exactly what you mention is @Nunyabiz
Correct, I feed my worms my cover crop which I trim back almost every day and chop it fine and add it under the mulch layer, also Gro-kashi, and the corn and alfalfa meal that's left over from when I make sprouted seed teas, plus my regular amendments such as malted barley, oyster shell Flour, kelp meal, crustacean meal, camelina meal, the worms love all this and turn that into Unicorn Poop.

Add to that some micronized soy meal, fulvic acid, gypsum.
Hydrolyzed fish protein and amino acids.
Coconut water, aloe vera and you end up with a pretty darn good LOS .

Adding to community knowledge:

Canadian nightcrawlers do not do well in a conventional worm bin environment. They require special conditions in order to stay alive and in good condition while in captivity. The biggest factor is the temperature. It should be no more than 48-50 deg F.. They also need special bedding to do well BUSS-Bedding or some similar type. The feeding has to be on top and the crawlers will come to the surface and pull it into their burrows.

On the side of red wigglers (Eisenia fotida) or European Night Crawlers (Eisenia hortensis) the composting worms they do much better in higher temps up to 80 or 90 deg F air temp ( bin in shade will be in low 80s) at 90+ deg

So I guess my compost bin will be fine because it is still cold up here. My grow room only gets around 60F max (15C). So when it warms up, the Canadian Nighcrawlers won't do so well. And they may not like the life inside a VC bin.

I'll just have to get some red wrigglers when they are in season.

Correct, I feed my worms my cover crop which I trim back almost every day and chop it fine and add it under the mulch layer, also Gro-kashi, and the corn and alfalfa meal that's left over from when I make sprouted seed teas, plus my regular amendments such as malted barley, oyster shell Flour, kelp meal, crustacean meal, camelina meal, the worms love all this and turn that into Unicorn Poop.

Add to that some micronized soy meal, fulvic acid, gypsum.
Hydrolyzed fish protein and amino acids.
Coconut water, aloe vera and you end up with a pretty darn good LOS .
Okay perfect. So that what I was wondering. I have my VC and I added some promix but I should still add some amendments like the oyster shell flour, the barley and the meals....

As of now I only added some chicken shit and azomite.

Any idea how much of those goodies you add per square meter or say 15 gallons of the former mix?

Heres what I've seen around

SmartSelect_20190317-105115_Instagram.jpg

Seem pretty good?

I'll need to grab some more stuff it sounds like.... but I need that unicorn poop you speak of and I need it badddd

I assume this is your starting soil from scratch.

Here is what I use which is buildasoil Oly Mountain Modern mix 2 and what it has in it from scratch.

Base Soil:

• 2 CuFt Sphagnum moss
  • 1 CuFt Pumice lava rock
  • 1 CuFt Modern Beginning charged Biochar
  • 1 CuFt Rice Hulls
  • 2 CuFt Humus composed of 1/3 Compost(Oly Mountain) and 2/3 EWC, and
  • a few handfuls some probiotic herbs – comfrey, nettle, dandelion, etc..
Nutrients included in the soil:
  • (Per cu.Ft of Base Soil)
  • 1/2 cup organic Neem meal
  • 1/2 cup organic Kelp meal
  • 1/2 cup organic Crustacean meal
  • 1/2 cup organic insect frass
  • 1/3 cup Gro-Kashi
  • 1/3 cup Karanja Meal
  • 1/4 cup of fish bone meal
  • 1/16th cup of Modern Microbes
  • 3 cups of some Rock/Mineral Mix
  • (Rock/Mineral Mix)
  • 2 part Oyster Shell Flour
  • 2 part Gypsum
  • 1 parts Glacial Rock Dust
  • 1 part Basalt
  • 1 part Calcium Bentonite
To this I add a couple hundred worms, a layer of Gro-kashi on top, a thick cover crop of nitrogen fixers, mycorrhazae inoculate, soak the soil with a sprouted seed tea mixed with yucca and Rove Beetles and Predator Mites to take care of the soon to come fungus gnats.

Use a starting mulch of barley hay until your cover crop comes in.
Keep it all very moist for a month or more just letting it come alive, water with coconut water and aloe vera, inoculate with mycorrhazae every week, once the cover crop is established trim it almost daily and start building a thick brown and green mulch layer.
When I walk into my grow room I smell my soil right as I walk in.
It smells alive.

I amend the soil and feed the worms with this mixture of 15 amendments every couple weeks or so.
I don't have a measured amount or a set time schedule, I play it by ear and let the soil tell me what it needs and when.
I also top dress with the Gro-kashi when it seems right.

Ahh and one more thing I do is I super oxygenate all my water with 02 emitters to raise the dissolved oxygen as high as I can.

1. Thorvin Premium Kelp Meal
  2. Karanja Cake - Terviva
  3. Alfalfa Meal
  4. CalPhos
  5. Camelina Meal
  6. Crustacean Meal
  7. Fish Meal
  8. 3x Fish Bone Meal
  9. Soybean Meal
  10. Sul-Po-Mag (Also Known as K-Mag or Langbeinite)
  11. Malted Barley Grains (3 Varieties)
  12. Azomite
  13. Basalt - Local Colorado
  14. Gypsum
  15. Oyster Flour

When I walk into my grow room I smell my soil right as I walk in.
It smells alive.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Except I'm not gonna be inside..... cover crop is in. I'm gonna hit Holm town nursery tomorrow and grab a few more of those goodies.

I really appreciate your advice I know you and Emilya are big soil freaks. It's just all a bit complicated for me to take in all at once but I'll be there soon.

I really appreciate your advice I know you and Emilya are big soil freaks. It's just all a bit complicated for me to take in all at once but I'll be there soon.

i feel ya buddy!!! lol

For worm bins, having some trouble getting red wrigglers. I tossed some night crawlers from the bait shop in for now. Trying to source some worms when things warm up.

Anyone clear on why night crawlers won't work as well as red wrigglers?

WE have both in our vermi-bin. Night crawlers live deeper in the pile, red wigglers live at or near the surface. They both make GREAT vermi-compost and EWC.

Night crawlers are have a slower metabolism and don't reproduce as fast as the red wigglers do. If you have both eventually they cross breed and you get a mix of both worlds.

Red wigglers are a main stay in the EWC industry due to their fast metabolism. They get a lot of work done in short order.

IF you want to get worms - get a vermi-compost bin and start adding in your kitchen scraps. Set it outside on soil. It won't take long. The worms find their way to the food party.

On the grains in a vermi-bin. They are great. Grains actually are a catalyst. Think about how we make beer and turn grains into alcohol with the help of micro-organisms.

The trick to do that is to only put food on one side of the bin and over 1-2 weeks all the worms will migrate to that side of the bin...scoop out all the other side and replace with new media for the worms :)

You do that? A lot more work than I wanna do. We just pile everything on top maybe if I think about it, I will add in a handful of leaves (already moldy) and repeat until full. lol

I'm on Philly - the worms are just getting started. Was a cold late winter and early spring so late start for the little fellas. They will make up for it pretty quickly. Just need a 70F degree day or 2. We are having that now. Woot.
Worms for the win

You can purchase African Nightcrawler castings on line from BAS.
I mix that in with my VC when mixing soils or up-potting.

You can purchase African Nightcrawler castings on line from BAS.
I mix that in with my VC when mixing soils or up-potting.
Thanks. I know that I can eventually get red wrigglers. just have to wait a bit. I put out emails to some vendors and shipping relates to the cold. I definitely want to get to making my own castings/VC. I plan to put some into my notill pots as well.

Interesting what was mentioned about them breeding. Night crawlers x wrigglers.

"Since red wigglers are much more prolific in reproduction, at room temperature (25°C) you will very quickly have a bin dominated by red wigglers. Sure, the European Nightcrawlers will still grow, but worms cannot cross breed and can only breed with their own species." REF: Can Red Wigglers & European Crawlers Coexist In The Same Worm Bin?

My Canadian Nightcrawlers likely are slow ass reproducers... but decent eaters. I will be monitoring them. They've been in my bin for 2 weeks now. They are definite fat.

I was surprised these guys can live for 5 years.

and more bad news:

Raising Canadian Nightcrawlers is very difficult because the reproduce very slowly. Most worms that are raised sexually mature in 90-120 days. Canadian Nightcrawlers take 18 months to sexually mature because they are a cold weather worm. Also they grow so slowly because of this.

NET NET... I need to get me some red wrigglers stat. .. or some European night crawlers.

I have a book on Vermi-composting written by some sort of doctor of worms. I'm pretty sure they inter-breed. I'll have to look it up. He worked with a bunch of Canadian smarty pants university types on the mass production of vermi-compost on an industrial scale.

No shit <----- lol see what I did there?

This is actually pretty big in Canada. They are using worms for all sorts of composting.

Everything I know about vermi-composting is that they will both inhabit the same pile and both be perfectly happy, no domination just co-exist.

Look around for worm cocoons. Can grow your own from the egg sacks. Order now, start them indoors, then into your vermi-bin outside. Be good.

For them to hatch we need a few 70F degree days. They have just started down here in Philly. Like yesterday all of a sudden, worm castings everywhere. woot
I collect them with a bucket. Yeah one of them peoples. crazy about worm castings.

I have a book on Vermi-composting written by some sort of doctor of worms. I'm pretty sure they inter-breed. I'll have to look it up. He worked with a bunch of Canadian smarty pants university types on the mass production of vermi-compost on an industrial scale.

No shit <----- lol see what I did there?

This is actually pretty big in Canada. They are using worms for all sorts of composting.

Everything I know about vermi-composting is that they will both inhabit the same pile and both be perfectly happy, no domination just co-exist.

Look around for worm cocoons. Can grow your own from the egg sacks. Order now, start them indoors, then into your vermi-bin outside. Be good.

For them to hatch we need a few 70F degree days. They have just started down here in Philly. Like yesterday all of a sudden, worm castings everywhere. woot
I collect them with a bucket. Yeah one of them peoples. crazy about worm castings.

Yes, same pile would be fine. My approach of using Canadian Nightcrawlers would be slow going. I'm sure they would co-exist, but the red wrigglers reproduce faster. I would source from the yard when the snow receeds. Another 15cm here today. Yay!

So my VC bin has been filling up with kitchen veggie and fruit debris, which the worms love. When the summer hits, i will have access to more yard waste. How are VC bins with regular yard waste? (dandylions, grass and clover clippings) Or should I keep putting yard waste in my traditional garden pile?

I got lots of little baby worms that I see everyday.
My worm population is growing in my pots pretty rapidly.
I assume they will maintain a sustainable population and not just become a solid mass of worms.

Population self regulates with ratio of food and home and of course water.

The worms make soluble nutrients available to the plants as does microbes and mycos.

You know you messed up when you have a mass exodus.

They do a much better job with nutrient availability for plants than humans I'm thinking.

So my VC bin has been filling up with kitchen veggie and fruit debris, which the worms love. When the summer hits, i will have access to more yard waste. How are VC bins with regular yard waste? (dandylions, grass and clover clippings) Or should I keep putting yard waste in my traditional garden pile?

All those you listed - add them to the VC bin. Your pile you were adding them to should be an already available source of humus! Go get some. Jusst dont fill the bin with grass clippings. lol

I use "finished" compost as a starting medium for VC, but you still need to feed them. They eat the bacteria from rotting organic matter, and if compost is finished that means most of the rot is done. VC bins won't smell if you limit the type of organic inputs (and use a lid)...I prefer vegetable scraps and coffee grounds...that is plenty to give you solid VC.
If you do half green material and half brown material you shouldn’t get any smell at all. Plus the brown makes for good bedding. Brown can be newspaper and cardboard.

Back
Top Bottom