Constant water flow over roots or intermittent timing?

Grower2020

Hey canna fam, if I'm growing without Rockwool and germinating straight out of clay balls which I have already done successfully . Do I need to have constant trickle flow down the root system draining into the resovoir or should I only have intermittent regular watering times to avoid root rot until the roots are Long enough to drink at will from the resoviour with an air gap between roots and resoviour. It's my only misunderstanding of aqua . Opinions needed, thank you much love

I have asked similar questions here with no response. I do not have the answer from experience, but I did read somewhere that someone was going 15 minutes on, 15 off with good results.

A picture would help, are you using air stones.. How big a basket, how much hydroton? I use Waterfarms or diy WF type systems with a lot of hydroton.. They depend on a constant flow over the hydroton to supply the dissolved O2 for the plant.. My roots develop and grow throughout the hydroton and in the water. A little trickle may get your roots into the water, but it doesn't do much more than that.. To see how I use hydroton in a Waterfarm with full time drip, see the Mixed Hydro thread..
If you're not taking full advantage of what hydroton has to offer, you're gonna need air stones to supply oxygen to your plants.. It's kinda hard to give a good answer with so little information..

That may have been my post that said my plants did much better when I switched to 15 minutes on and 15 off. That said I was not in DWC mine was a NFT setup and I was in shallow pots with no chance of my roots getting into the res.
Best way is to try for yourself switch it up and see what you think. I doubt your going to kill them unless you don't visit them for days at a time.

The size of the plant especially the roots will be a big factor I would think. Speaking of roots that air gap between the roots and the res can't last forever. Eventually those roots must work their way down not? I dunno I've never done DWC... now I'm thinking out loud again.

Back
Top Bottom