Curing & storage jars: Do they need to be 100% air tight?

jokerlola

Do jars or containers used for curing and storage need to be 100% air tight? I have some quart mason jars that have white plastic lids If I put water in them and turn them upside down water will dribble out so they are not 100% air tight. I also have a big 2 gallon jar that has a lid with a little flip top spout for ice tea. You can close the flip top but it's not 100% air tight. Can these be used for curing and storage or do I need 100% air tight lids?

Fairly sure airtight is preferred to cure, otherwise it's more like a slow dry and could dry your buds out too much. Almost airtight is better than not though. Another big thing to keep an eye on is humidity, or you could mold your buds. And store in the dark.

Not sure where you are, but here in Australia there's a brand of coffee that comes in an airtight glass jar which is perfect to cure buds in. Maybe look for store bought foods in containers you could reuse.

If the jar is not airtight then there is the possibility of some moisture getting in if the weather is on the humid side. On the other hand, if the weather is very dry air then the flowers in the jar could dry out more than is wanted.

@Lightworker81 has a good suggestion. Look around the supermarket. There might be a pasta sauce that you will enjoy and it comes in a jar that has a lid that will remain airtight even after you have opened it. Problem is that more and more companies are using plastic jars and/or plastic lids and the size of the opening means that only lids from that one company will fit the jar.

One of the things that I like about the canning jars is that the sizes of the lids are standardized. If it is a regular-mouth lid then it will fit any of the canning jars with that size opening. If it is a wide-mouth then those lids will fit all the canning jars that say they are wide-mouth.

It used to be that Mayonaise and Salad Dressing (the fake mayo) jars were regular- mouth size openings and many people would use their mayo jars to can tomatoes, etc. Now they have plastic jars and the jars are not longer the quart size that they used to be. Downsized to 28 or 30 ounces of Mayo and raised the prices just a bit.

Cling film over the jar top perhaps a couple of layers before sealing with the final lid can help get that good seal you are looking for :thumb:

Cling film over the jar top perhaps a couple of layers before sealing with the final lid can help get that good seal you are looking for :thumb:

Yes. Great idea.

Burping might be an issue tho. Might work with some careful burping

Do jars or containers used for curing and storage need to be 100% air tight? I have some quart mason jars that have white plastic lids If I put water in them and turn them upside down water will dribble out so they are not 100% air tight. I also have a big 2 gallon jar that has a lid with a little flip top spout for ice tea. You can close the flip top but it's not 100% air tight. Can these be used for curing and storage or do I need 100% air tight lids?
If they are "Mason jars" you can buy legit lids for them at the hardware store or the grocery store

Back
Top Bottom