Darkness before harvest?

Hypnotic420

420 Member
Before you harvest I’ve read that you are suppose to give your plants 2 days of darkness. Can anyone out there clarify this for me? Some say to not water the plants so it pulls out as many nutrients as possible but I wasn’t sure about the lack of light.

There sure are a lot of opinions out there on this, aren't there? :) All I can tell you is what I do, because it seems like it works. When I start seeing amber at the very top, I wait till the next watering day when I give her a good watering, drive a nail through her trunk, and I put her in the dark for 36 hours, minimum. Some people make that last watering ice water, just to further emphasise the point.

All this nonsense seems to make the trichomes grow noticeably longer than in a plant that doesn't get this loving treatment, and I believe that it adds to the potency of the final product. Unlike your method, I am giving her water in those last moments to complete the tasks she needs to do, and put that last bit of energy into those buds and it is in that process that I think she uses up the last of the sugars available, instead of just drying them up from a lack of water. It would take extensive side by side tests to see which of our methods resulted in the better product, but the bottom line is that stress at the end does add to the process, dramatically.

I’ll definitely give that a try! Thanks for sharing the knowledge. I have a little time to go before harvesting

There sure are a lot of opinions out there on this, aren't there? :) All I can tell you is what I do, because it seems like it works. When I start seeing amber at the very top, I wait till the next watering day when I give her a good watering, drive a nail through her trunk, and I put her in the dark for 36 hours, minimum. Some people make that last watering ice water, just to further emphasise the point.

All this nonsense seems to make the trichomes grow noticeably longer than in a plant that doesn't get this loving treatment, and I believe that it adds to the potency of the final product. Unlike your method, I am giving her water in those last moments to complete the tasks she needs to do, and put that last bit of energy into those buds and it is in that process that I think she uses up the last of the sugars available, instead of just drying them up from a lack of water. It would take extensive side by side tests to see which of our methods resulted in the better product, but the bottom line is that stress at the end does add to the process, dramatically.
When you say amber at the top, do you mean amber trichomes?

Thank you!

Now I have to ask about that nail through the trunk...... Is that just and ordinary nail driven from one side to the other at the base? I'm really close to my first harvest and need to get my act in gear with these details.

One more question - Do you like to wait until there's a certain percentage of amber, or do you go off of when you first start seeing it at the top?

My friend said peak potency is 70-80% of trichs showing amber. I've seen some amber for about two weeks now but it doesn't seem to be piling on that quickly. Purple Kush 10 weeks since flip to 12/12, breeder lists 55-60 days flowering. I'm told time starts ticking when they start flowering, not the instant you flip. What has been your experience with this?

Before you harvest I’ve read that you are suppose to give your plants 2 days of darkness. Can anyone out there clarify this for me? Some say to not water the plants so it pulls out as many nutrients as possible but I wasn’t sure about the lack of light.
:welcome: I've tried the darkness period before chop. I didn't see anything fruitful from it. Tho many people do. I'd just try it out and see how it goes. It definitely can't hurt anything. Have fun with it

truth be told, I have been using a large dry wall screw lately... its even more agonizing than a nail. I start the process at 2% amber at the very top. Your friend is wrong... peak potency is actually just before they start going amber, but amber completes out the entire thc profile. If you waited till 70% amber, a good portion of your early ambers would be turning black and you would have ruined your crop... your friend is wrong. Yes, true bloom period starts when they start flowering, not the moment of the flip. It sounds like yours are ready to pull to me.

truth be told, I have been using a large dry wall screw lately... its even more agonizing than a nail. I start the process at 2% amber at the very top. Your friend is wrong... peak potency is actually just before they start going amber, but amber completes out the entire thc profile. If you waited till 70% amber, a good portion of your early ambers would be turning black and you would have ruined your crop... your friend is wrong. Yes, true bloom period starts when they start flowering, not the moment of the flip. It sounds like yours are ready to pull to me.
Hmmmm, ok. I just watered today and typically go 4-5 days between watering, so I think I'll shoot for Wed or Thursday for their last drink and will put a screw through the base. The mothers have been ahead of the clones most of the way but the clones are turning quickly the last couple of days. Sorry for hijacking this post, but can you tell me what you think of todays pic? I see amber in the upper left for sure.
IMG_5296.JPG

Hmmmm, ok. I just watered today and typically go 4-5 days between watering, so I think I'll shoot for Wed or Thursday for their last drink and will put a screw through the base. The mothers have been ahead of the clones most of the way but the clones are turning quickly the last couple of days. Sorry for hijacking this post, but can you tell me what you think of todays pic? I see amber in the upper left for sure.
IMG_5296.JPG
Hahah hijack away. I’m learning more and more from everyones input on the topic :hookah:

IMG_5296.JPG
Great pic by the way! :blunt:

Hey Em. Do u have a photo of the nail or screw installed ?
Around 2% amber , you insert a screw where , a few inches up from soil level ?
And what does this do ?

Hey Em. Do u have a photo of the nail or screw installed ?
Around 2% amber , you insert a screw where , a few inches up from soil level ?
And what does this do ?
screwed 1.png
screwed 12.png

Yes, right there near the top of the soil. This convinces the plant that its end is definitely near at hand. We know that certain stressors, like slitting the trunk at the bottom, putting a rusty nail in it, or in this case, a dry wall screw, will cause the plant to rush all of its processes toward completion so that as it drops to the ground, the seeds will be viable and the species will continue.

screwed 1.png
screwed 12.png

Yes, right there near the top of the soil. This convinces the plant that its end is definitely near at hand. We know that certain stressors, like slitting the trunk at the bottom, putting a rusty nail in it, or in this case, a dry wall screw, will cause the plant to rush all of its processes toward completion so that as it drops to the ground, the seeds will be viable and the species will continue.
OK.
Sounds crazy but I will try this.
I wonder who & why someone would have thought of doing something like this first ?
I continue to use your watering system.
Thanks and have a great day.

OK.
Sounds crazy but I will try this.
I wonder who & why someone would have thought of doing something like this first ?
I continue to use your watering system.
Thanks and have a great day.
I tried Emilya's screw tip last week, which was my first harvest. I don't have anything to compare to, but the trich's on my buds are all glistening and very easy to see with the naked eye. I also bud washed.

screwed 1.png
screwed 12.png

Do you begin harvesting immediately after 36 hrs plus of dark ?

I am sold on washing those buds.
Did you use anything other than water ??
I used AdamInCO's method. First 5gl bucket was 32oz of Hydrogen Peroxide with water, next bucket was a cup of lemon juice and a cup of baking soda, then 2 buckets of just water to rinse. You go into both buckets one after the other to rinse.

Back
Top Bottom