Diesels First Deep Water Culture Grow

infexion can you explain the water stuff more. I always dropped my water down that far since I knew it was going to creep up fast. I would like to know some science behind this if you know. This way I will adjust my next grow.
Well one time I replenished with straight cold water from the tap. About 3 hours later they all looked overly relaxed and droopy and the leaves were cupping. The water temp was like 54 F, I replaced with water that was 64 F and they straightened back up.

pH Values of Common Household Materials*

1.0 battery acid (sulfuric acid)
1.8-2.0 limes
2.2-2.4 lemon juice
2.2 vinegar (acetic acid)
2.8-3.4 fruit jellies
2.9-3.3 apple juice, cola
3.0-3.5 strawberries
3.7 orange juice
4.0-4.5 tomatoes
5.6 unpolluted rain
5.8-6.4 peas
6.0-6.5 corn
6.1-6.4 butter
6.4 cow's milk
6.5-7.5 human saliva
6.5-7.0 maple syrup
7.0 distilled water
7.3-7.5 human blood
7.6-8.0 egg whites
8.3 baking soda
9.2 borax
10.5 milk of magnesia
11.0 laundry ammonia
12.0 lime water
13.0 lye
*CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics

� S. Olesik, WOW Project, Ohio State University, 2002.

Keep temp below 75 degrees F (as mentioned above) is a good thing to always remember. Glad you mentioned that as I forgot to remember to add that. Mine are between 62 and 68. (I'm also growing outdoors via an automated Flood and Drain, Deep Water Culture hybrid hydro system.)
They seem to love the night air and the ever changing sun light. They're growing at around 1.5 inches in all directions each day. The 5 gallon buckets are rock filled with air stones in the bottom 3 inches of water. The drain line is 2 inches above the bottom of the bucket in this operation. And I did make it a solar powered air and water system at that.
Water temp is my main concern as the days are about to get hot (95F+) this week.

Pictures my man. Since you only have two inches of water and the roots don't sit in the water how would it really matter what the temp is? Just trying to learn.

Pictures my man. Since you only have two inches of water and the roots don't sit in the water how would it really matter what the temp is? Just trying to learn.

The water flood keeps the rocks cool and wet. They have the food they need and the air they love plus water for extra drinking if they chose at the bottom of the grow site/bucket. The air stone keeps the water there filled with Oxygen. 45 mins later it floods again. During mid day they go to a 30 min cycle between drains/floods.
Should have 6 foot trees by the end of the month as they are 4 feet+ now. I will let them finish naturally.
I think.
I may dolly them over to the warehouse and finish them early but that will depend on their size in mid/late August . I'd like to see just how big they can get in a five gallon bucket growing this way.

The water flood keeps the rocks cool and wet. They have the food they need and the air they love plus water for extra drinking if they chose at the bottom of the grow site/bucket. The air stone keeps the water there filled with Oxygen. 45 mins later it floods again. During mid day they go to a 30 min cycle between drains/floods.
Should have 6 foot trees by the end of the month as they are 4 feet+ now. I will let them finish naturally.
I think.
I may dolly them over to the warehouse and finish them early but that will depend on their size in mid/late August . I'd like to see just how big they can get in a five gallon bucket growing this way.

Sorry I am lazy 2 check back if you stated this already, but is your setup DWC or a flood and drain with 5gal pots or sum?

well thanks for all the replies my friends, I had to step back and relax for a while, smoked and had a few beers :) I went through the whole thing in my head, everything was fine till I did my res change last night, the water temp,nutes and ph`d water that I added was routine, yes the water was cold but was same as usuall when I do the change. When I checked this AM is when I saw the change (everything droopy and sad) so I immediately changed the res, as I was changing the res I could literatly watch them get worse, so I filled res and the branches started bending over at about half way up, like a suppercrop pinch was done on em all, oh ya, I added the extra air pump first, it didnt seem to do anything after a bit so I did the res change, I was so frantic with all this I didnt check the Ph before I changed the res. I just wanted to change the res ASAP. I went and got some test strips and the meter was off a full point to the hot side, so I drained again and filled (oh ya I threw the meter and its really off now, lol) hence the chill have a puff or 3 and a beer. Anyhow, lights off now and we`ll see tomorrow, they are all tied together with string, a sad lookin mess. I`ve read Rose and others posts on having 2 methods of testing PH or at least calibrating it often, I was just lazy and never did it, so everyone out there really should because this is bad, lol. On a positive note, 8 weeks of bloom will be tomorrow the trichs say they need more time but if I need to chop em it wont be a total loss. With my soil grows I dont need to add any down to the water, in at 7.2 and out at 6.2 to 6.6 the plants seem to love it, so the bubble system is really the first time I`ve had to deal with it and I didnt take it serious enough. Lesson learned, we need this in life to get better at anything IMO. My next bubble grow will be better than ever!!! Peace all and thanks again for the help and support.

Your Brother in Bubbles, DF

I digg, 8W of bloom=better than nothing or a complete loss. Good to know this though I have PH strips and plan on ordering a PH meter but will take a mental note to calibrate my PH meter once a week or make sure it is on point plus get some more strips so I can double check. Good lesson learned though and even better persistance to not let this deter you from growing with teh bubbles :) :goodluck:

As the Deep Water Culture say...things grow fast and show good stuff fast but things can go bad fast as well.

I am sure you will overcome with all your experience. It was a good idea to chill for a while.:peacetwo:

well thanks for all the replies my friends, I had to step back and relax for a while, smoked and had a few beers :) I went through the whole thing in my head, everything was fine till I did my res change last night, the water temp,nutes and ph`d water that I added was routine, yes the water was cold but was same as usuall when I do the change. When I checked this AM is when I saw the change (everything droopy and sad) so I immediately changed the res, as I was changing the res I could literatly watch them get worse, so I filled res and the branches started bending over at about half way up, like a suppercrop pinch was done on em all, oh ya, I added the extra air pump first, it didnt seem to do anything after a bit so I did the res change, I was so frantic with all this I didnt check the Ph before I changed the res. I just wanted to change the res ASAP. I went and got some test strips and the meter was off a full point to the hot side, so I drained again and filled (oh ya I threw the meter and its really off now, lol) hence the chill have a puff or 3 and a beer. Anyhow, lights off now and we`ll see tomorrow, they are all tied together with string, a sad lookin mess. I`ve read Rose and others posts on having 2 methods of testing PH or at least calibrating it often, I was just lazy and never did it, so everyone out there really should because this is bad, lol. On a positive note, 8 weeks of bloom will be tomorrow the trichs say they need more time but if I need to chop em it wont be a total loss. With my soil grows I dont need to add any down to the water, in at 7.2 and out at 6.2 to 6.6 the plants seem to love it, so the bubble system is really the first time I`ve had to deal with it and I didnt take it serious enough. Lesson learned, we need this in life to get better at anything IMO. My next bubble grow will be better than ever!!! Peace all and thanks again for the help and support.

Your Brother in Bubbles, DF

The school of hard knocks has it's price.
+ reps to you for your attitude! Well done and a lesson well learned and shared to one and all.
Peace be the journey!
Justin

Sorry I am lazy 2 check back if you stated this already, but is your setup DWC or a flood and drain with 5gal pots or sum?
It's an Flood and Drain with Deep Water Culture basics in the bottom 2 inches of each 5 gal bucket grow site plus bubbles in the main res.

I added the stones to each bucket for wind stability and to decrease the amount of water/nutes needed to fill the array of 12 plants in the outdoor solar powered grow.

15 mins on fills the array and 30 mins off during the heat of mid day, 45 mins off during evening and 1 hour off 12am to 6 am.

It's working well and will upload new pics tomorrow. My camera is set at high pixle rate which exceeds the 1,000kb limit in posting. Can't upload the old pictures until I install me CS5 program and photo manipulate the size of those.

Needless to say they are all doing very well.

White Widow, Blue Widow, Amsterdam, Super Nova, Purple Trinity Kush and some other nasty smelling clone ladies of the night who have no names. Nasty in a great way.

The Clones are from the Permagrin crowd which should say it all.

snicker, snicker, snicker
:hippy:

Justin, so good to see you my friend!! I hope you have been doing well. I must say, your outdoor grow sounds very interesting. One day I am still going to make it out west!

Justin, so good to see you my friend!! I hope you have been doing well. I must say, your outdoor grow sounds very interesting. One day I am still going to make it out west!

Glad to see you all too ! Hope you check the listings out here. That one duplex that was going for $125,000 is now at only $95,000 for a quarter of a city block in Darby Montana! Awesome place.

Back
Top Bottom