Does pot get stronger in TCH with age?

garybo

While storing this year’s crop, with a few left-over’s from last year’s grow, I came across 2 bags I grew 2 years ago (2019), stored in sealed vacuum quart bags. One was Hawaiian Skunk and the other Blue Dream.

Curiosity killing me, the wife and I have been toking on them for about a week.

Let me tell you something, both strains are as strong and perhaps stronger now than they were 2 years ago. And the wife agrees with me, she is as much a stoner as I’ve ever known. Anyway, they both are definitely a two toke smoke without getting messed up. The taste is about the same, not bad.

Has anyone here at 420 experienced smoking old pot? This was my first time that I'm aware of.

Thanks and spark up

While storing this year’s crop, with a few left-over’s from last year’s grow, I came across 2 bags I grew 2 years ago (2019), stored in sealed vacuum quart bags. One was Hawaiian Skunk and the other Blue Dream.

Let me tell you something, both strains are as strong and perhaps stronger now than they were 2 years ago. And the wife agrees with me, she is as much a stoner as I’ve ever known. Anyway, they both are definitely a two toke smoke without getting messed up. The taste though is about the same.

Has anyone here at 420 experienced smoking old pot? This was my first time that I'm aware of.

Thanks and spark up
I've read that some strains get better up to 2 years. I know for sure that the aroma and taste are much better 2 years later of being untouched, so that sensory perception may make it seem stronger

Old weed, for sure. Back before I ever heard of storing weed in jars or even zipper baggies. We all kept our weed in fold top sandwich baggies. All weed got dried out fast and the joint or bowl would burn WAY to hot and fast and never really has much effect. That same weed properly re-moistened can kick yer butt the next day.

I re-moisten old weed inside a mason jar with a single square of toilet paper or a Kleenex laid across the top of the rim. Add a few drops of water onto the Kleenex, screw on the lid and wait. In the morning it should be just right to smoke instead of burn. Somewhere between smolder and burn is the right smoke.
I cured my weed at 65%. This was my ambient RH not a controlled setting. I smoke joints straight away. My brother got the same bud and says it is too wet to smoke and can't keep a joint lite. He likes 60-62% and I can't convince him that he is wrong.

Lately I have really been concentrating on moisture content and smoking temperature. I think the more volatile compounds that burn off first are more speedy and by the last to burn off are the sedative compounds. A similar thing happened to the buds I picked VERY early. After drying a few days (dry enough to smoke) there was a nice stimulating boost immediately after smoking and it. As it cured over the next several weeks it changed. Early on I could smoke a whole joint, then 1/2 a joint. Now a few tokes at a time and I'm good. I suspect that after so long all the speedy compounds of your weed are degraded into a more sedative cannabinoid. Old weed will get you stoned but not lifted.

Smoke it slow because it makes a difference and it taste better and smoother after being remoistened.
That a mouthful, I guess I had a lot to say.
p.s. Lemon Haze appears to be a very creative strain for me.
Thanks for listening, LOL

I re-moisten old weed inside a mason jar with a single square of toilet paper or a Kleenex laid across the top of the rim. Add a few drops of water onto the Kleenex, screw on the lid and wait. In the morning it should be just right to smoke instead of burn.
Brother, I've done similar techniques, I've used a quarter of an apple, as well as a wet towel, also a couple pcs of an orange. Never tried the orange peel though.
Dry pot is sort of like a sponge, put moisture on it and it well absorb enough to smoke.
Thanks for the chat.

Let me tell you something, both strains are as strong and perhaps stronger now than they were 2 years ago. And the wife agrees with me, she is as much a stoner as I’ve ever known. Anyway, they both are definitely a two toke smoke without getting messed up. The taste though is about the same.

Thanks and spark up
What, if any, temperature controls for long term storage do you like?

What, if any, temperature controls for long term storage do you like?
Its not really what I like or want, It's what available, which is my house.
I store the pot, after being sealed in vacuum quart bags, in a cardboard box placed in a dark closet in our house which maintains 78 degree F temp for 24/7. The relative humidity ranges somewhere between 65 to 75.
It works for me.
Thanks for asking.

Let me tell you something, both strains are as strong and perhaps stronger now than they were 2 years ago. And the wife agrees with me, she is as much a stoner as I’ve ever known. Anyway, they both are definitely a two toke smoke without getting messed up. The taste is about the same, not bad.

Thanks and spark up

Absolutely positively true. My 2 year old bud is just as good as new if not better. It is also easier to separate the golden stalked capitate glands. This 2 year old golden powder is stronger than it is from freshly cured plants. All my harvest is cured for several weeks, double bagged in freezer bags, and kept in the fridge. Prior to creating the golden powder the bud goes into the freezer to 'brittle' the powder up before crushing the buds in the bag to release it. Five sifters of decreasing screen size later, a golden pile appears.

All my harvest is cured for several weeks, double bagged in freezer bags, and kept in the fridge.
Interesting response to my post. Tell me more about how you cure your herb; I've been pondering the idea of changing my curing time and procedure and am open to suggestions. Also, why double bagging and lastly why the fridge?

Also, I see you are a new member and I want to welcome you to the 420 family.

garybo

I harvest in early autumn (NYC), let dry for one week and weigh,
dry another week or two till twigs nearly snap and weigh again.
Double bagged in freezer bags (prepped to reduce static electricity)
is, in my years of experience, good for freshness. Then into the fridge.
It will dry a bit more in two years, especially the trichomes, making it
easier to produce the golden powder..

Right now I have three bags from 04/20 left that I will turn into more
golden powder over the next few months. The golden powder produced
now from the 04/20 harvest seems different than golden powder produced
and consumed in 2020. A bit scary it is so good. Go figure.

Please note, the 04/20 batch was from an indoor grow. Curing is the
same for indoor or outdoor grows. I wish electricity was free!

Marxman

I have several jars from various grows and I toggle between them.
It's fun and a different high when you mix different strains, such as a bud from 2 or 3 different strains, grind them up into a rollable consistency and toke away.

@Marxman , what exactly do you mean by "golden power"?
Thanks
Its Keef man
B872DD8A-493D-4E62-992D-628AFAA6FE49.jpeg

sorry marxman—couldn’t resist

@zigzagman1960
I see you have recently joined up with 420. Welcome aboard and I hope to see more of you and please don't keep all of that savvy to yourself.
Spark up

Has anyone here at 420 experienced smoking old pot?
I have one or more samples of each strain that I have grown since 2017 except one.

Some strains I have a sample of each seed that was planted. Blue Dream is an example. I flowered and harvested 3 seeds. Still have a small sample of 2 of the 3 plants from seed. Have several samples from the clones, and from the 'clones-from-clones'.

I've noticed (nothing scientific) that after you smoke the same pot for a while, when you switch to something new, it always seems to be "stonier" than the prior stuff. I have several jars from various grows and I toggle between them.
I notice the same thing. Most of the time I hit off a particular joint and the next day light up a different one. Might not get back to that first joint for a week or more.

Brother, I've done similar techniques, I've used a quarter of an apple, as well as a wet towel, also a couple pcs of an orange. Never tried the orange peel though.
Tried the apple piece but most of the time it was a piece much smaller than a 1/4 apple. My wife would cut out a sliver, maybe 1/4 of a 1/4 or 1/16th of an apple. Then she covered it with a layer of aluminum foil and poked a few holes with a straight pin. And, she did not smoke. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

Never tried the piece of orange but I have used the piece of orange peel.

Have you tried using a piece of stem? When trimming or pruning or whatever during harvest take several pieces of 'cola' stem, or stem which had the secondary buds, and cut those into short pieces which will fit into a zip-lock baggie. Put the baggie into the freezer. When needed take one or two or more stem pieces out and put in the jar. They will act like a humidity pack and it does bring some moisture back. Eventually they loose all their moisture and have to be tossed on the compost pile.

It's fun and a different high when you mix different strains, such as a bud from 2 or 3 different strains, grind them up into a rollable consistency and toke away.
I had thought of this once or twice and would forget. Thanks for the reminder.:)

Back
Top Bottom