DrDan's Advanced Nutrients Hydro Grow, Afghan-Gooey and Others

DrDan

Hello all and welcome to my first grow journal. I am a medical MJ patient and I grow for myself and 2 other patients. I am currently getting things rolling so I can harvest every 4 to 5 weeks. The strains I am using are high THC content and two are mystery girls that are either White Widow or Big Bud, Permafrost or Alaskan Thunder Fuck. I obtained these two clones from a dispensary and the owner forgot to mark what was what. So we will all get to solve the mystery together. Though I will only follow the progress of this batch of ladies in this journal, I will be doing a head to head comparison of Advanced Nutrients and my old GH formula in another thread that will involve this crop. I am thinking I may just compare the "Lucas Formula" since it seems to be quite popular, and I can't find my notes from my previous grows.:tokin: However, for the purposes of this grow I will be following the Advanced Nutrients Grand Master Grower Level which is reported to be a 37% increase in yield over any competitor..hmm.. we will see.:morenutes:
A fair warning in advance, I can get long winded and ramble without realizing it but to make up for it, I will be posting lots of photos. So lets get this goin, eh?

System and Plant statistics:

Aeroponic cloner (home made one used for these clones)
Ebb and flow table (purchased from Garden store)
Ebb and Gro system (buckets home made)

Plant strains: Afghan-Gooey (known), White Widow vs Big Bud, Permafrost vs ATF

Veg room specs: 8'x10'x8', T-5 lights for cloning and first transplant station, 400w full spectrum MH in vented hood for veg weeks 2-3, 2'x4' ebb and flo tray with 25 gal. res., ebb and gro transition table with 25 gal. res. Room temp 78 degrees, RH 60%, 4" inline exhaust with can filter 120, passive intake.

Bloom room specs: 10'x10'x8' (not inc. closet), 2 1000w HPS lamps in vented hoods on 5.0 light rail (will be total of 4 by the time these get to bloom), 8" exhaust fan and filter combo, 6" inline fan with booster fans cooling lights, two 16" circulating wall mount fans, 6" booster inlet fan, Dehumidifier with out of room drainage, 2 Ebb and Gro systems with 2 55 gal. res.

Time for some pics at this point, don't ya think?:popcorn:

My cloning and early deveolpment station
Puppies_and_Plants_035.jpg

Close up of Moms under T-5s
Puppies_and_Plants_037.jpg

Close up of Adolescents getting thier walking papers
Puppies_and_Plants_036.jpg

Neighborhood construction, future home of my graduates
Puppies_and_Plants_039.jpg

High rise apartments springing up everywhere
Puppies_and_Plants_044.jpg

Inside look at the plumbing facilities
Puppies_and_Plants_042.jpg

Puppies_and_Plants_041.jpg

After soaking used hydroton in Flora Clean and Hygrozyme overnight, a good rinse meant the girls could start packin thier bags. With a 10 bucket 2.5 gal. system I use approx. 20 gal. of hydroton. When filling the inside bucket, I stop 2" from the top because this will never see water. When the buckets are at full flood, the water level is about 2" from the top of the lower outside bucket giving me a 2" depth of constantly dry hydroton. This really cuts down on pests, especially those nasty nutrient flies.
When I first purchased a CAP controler and was able to get my buckets off the "height stealing" table for the first time, I ran into root rot because of the standing water the system leaves behind in the bottom bucket after draining. Not everyone seems to have this problem but enough did for the company to come up with a fix while they improve thier design. It entailed putting 2" pieces of 2" diameter pvc piping under the inside bucket to elevate the roots. Works until the roots get to the water again! My fix was a bit more expensive but has benefits that improve yield. I drilled a hole in the bottom of my inside buckets for an airline to protrude into the standing water and hooked em up to an air pump. The results have been very satisfying to say the least. A couple pics of this for those that are as visual as I am.

Puppies_and_Plants_047.jpg

Puppies_and_Plants_049.jpg

Puppies_and_Plants_048.jpg

Puppies_and_Plants_057.jpg

These roots are begging for a new home
Puppies_and_Plants_056.jpg

"See ya Mom, gotta groove in my new digs"
Puppies_and_Plants_059.jpg

These clones were in my home made aeroponic cloner (no pics yet, cleaning it) for 2 weeks with the exception of 3 of them that were in it 4 weeks (no homes avail. when they were ready). I used a combo of Greenfuse Clonex and root enhancer with a touch of Superthrive B-1 for clone solution. I purchased a Botanicare cloner that came with Powerclone and Aqua-shield. Using this mix and the cloner has not been a very positive experience for me. I used to have a 99% success rate cloning and so far I have lost 10 starts of 30 in this system. I will be going back to my own home made system and nutrient program and selling the botanicare cloner to anyone interested and at a marked discount.:surrender:
Due to this I will be taking clones today or tomorrow and use my old system in case these tadpoles don't make it. Take a look for yourself:
Puppies_and_Plants_040.jpg

These were transplanted into 6" net pots one week ago for the move to the ebb and flo table to start vegging under my FS T-5 light. I usually take the best 13 to 15 clones for this stage then the best 10 from them for final transplanting. I have 7 known Afghan-Gooey girls, 1 possible White Widow or Big Bud and 2 possible Permafrost or ATF that are now under a 400w FS MH. I have the light 3 feet above the plants at this time and will lower it by 4-6 inches a day until the glass of the hood is 5-6 inches above the canopy. I love air-cooled lighting!
I veg with the lights on 24 hours a day mainly because of location being shared with my maturing and new clones. I have vegged with the 18/6 cycle also and haven't seen any ill effects from the 24 hour regimine for the past 3 crops I have been doing this.
This batch has been getting nutes in the 900-1100 ppm range while in the ebb and flo tray under the T-5 lights so my mix for the transplant res was started at 1500 ppm. I use RO water (reverse osmosis) that has a ph of 7.1 and ppm of 6 after filtering (295 ppm prior to filtering). I store it in two 35 gal. plastic trash cans and one 55 gal plastic barrel connected to each other. This gives me approx. 110 gals. of clean H2O to work with and I need it all come fluid change day (I can have as many as 4 resevoirs running, 2 55gal and 2 25gal). I change fluids weekly and always on the same day so I don't forget how old the nutes are.:tokin: I also found through experience that it should be a day you have plenty of time and the local Hydro store is actually open!
Res. Mix week 2 of veg: 24 gal. RO H20, 160mls each of Sensigrow A & B, 100mls B-52, 100mls Voodoo jc., 200mls Sensi Cal-Mag Grow, 200mls MEST-Grow (Mother Earth Super Tea Grow). PPM 1500-1510, PH 6.1 (did not require ph adjustment).
Feeding Schedule: every 4 hours, 8, 12, 4 etc.
(first week of veg same nutes, lower amounts to get ppm 900)
You may have noticed that the amounts of each nute varies from the Advanced Nutrients "Bigger Yield Flowering System" recommendations. As many have found that use AN, if mixed at the levels they recommend, ppm is over 2000. I have not found a strain that can handle more than 1800ppm in my experience with hydro so as a result I rarely mix over 1500 ppm to allow for concentration of the nutes during plant transpiration. By altering my mix this way, I am able to go for 48 hours without the need to top off due to high ppm. I tend my ladies daily but this gives me a safety net for those surprises in life.
Ok, thanks for hanging in there with me so far, just about to wrap up this intro. How about some more pics? Well... if you insist, here ya go.

Welcome to the neighborhood ladies!
Puppies_and_Plants_063.jpg

Lady Afghan-Gooey herself
Puppies_and_Plants_067.jpg

Which will it be, White Widow or Big Bud, stay tuned!
Puppies_and_Plants_066.jpg

Another mystery date, Permafrost or ATF, bachelor number one wants to know, "Are you of two minds?"
Puppies_and_Plants_069.jpg

Well, thats the cast of characters in my play. I hope you have enjoyed act one and please come back for the next act. No need to hold applause until then.:popcorn: Obviously, any and all comments or suggestions will be completely ignored so go ahead and waste your time if ya want. (thats sarcasm by the way, and I am full of it, litterally. :peacetwo:)

Welcome Green, glad to have ya aboard. Thanks for the +reps, and glad you like the setup, there will be a couple more pics tomorrow. I had to super crop 4 of the tallest to keep the cannopy fairly level. Figured I would have to do that sooner than later due to some more mature plants than others in this mix.

Well, as promised, here are a couple of pics from yesterday's intervention with the ladies.

Too_tall.jpg

supercropped2.jpg

Lights have been lowered another 4 inches today, Room temp 85 degrees, RH 58%, res. temp 72, ppm 1515, ph 6.1, no need for add back H2O yet.

Ok, it is day 3 under the 400w full spectrum MH and I have lowered it to one foot from the cannopy. I plan to leave it here for 2 more days then I am thinking of changing it to my 1000w MH. It seems to me they are not as bushy as I am used to and are stretching a bit. I don't normally have to supercrop so early, and today I had to do it again.
I also gave my moms a hair cut today and took clones. I will be cloning them in my home made aeroponic cloner this time. I am using Olivia's cloning fluid and vita grow cloning hormone this time. I hope I will have better results than with the powerclone and aqua shield. I have pics of the girls and my cloner I will post later tonight. :smokin:

As promised, here are some pics from today.

Puppies_and_Plants_005.jpg

overall view of the chosen few
Puppies_and_Plants_006.jpg

2 days post supercropping and nicely healing
Puppies_and_Plants_007.jpg

Good vertical growth of top post supercropping
Puppies_and_Plants_008.jpg

Fresh supercrop on the left and 2 days post on right
Puppies_and_Plants_009.jpg

Another view of the ladies

Here are some pics of my cloner and the new residents
Puppies_and_Plants_011.jpg

inside view of cloner, 3/4" tubing makes up the manifold and 560gph pump
Puppies_and_Plants_013.jpg

Puppies_and_Plants_015.jpg

Puppies_and_Plants_016.jpg

Here are the Mom's, before and after
Puppies_and_Plants_014.jpg

Before
Puppies_and_Plants_017.jpg

After

Well, thats it for the show, you can go home now. :tommy:

Well, I had to do it. I replaced the 400w FSMH with my 1000w MH. The fixture is 16" from the cannopy and I have changed all the lights in the veg/clone room to an 18/6 schedule. The Summer is really heating up here and the room and plants will benefit from the downtime. I have never cloned with less than 24/7 but have read of others being quite successful.
I also fimmed the plants that weren't supercropped to get them to bush out. Res. is solid at 1570ppm and 6.2 ph, water level is good and no add back needed today. Room temp is 85 and Rh 58%. I will post some pics of thier progress tomorrow.:passitleft:

Here are some pics from today. Temp in the room is 86 to 87 degrees, warmer than I would like. Rh is 57% with a humidifier going set at 60%. Res. ppm was 1912 this evening and ph 5.8, I was held up getting to them today. After R/O H2O add back to get ppm down to 1500, ph is 5.9.

Puppies_and_Plants_003_2_.jpg

Tight quarters for the girls
Puppies_and_Plants_005_2_.jpg

another look at the accomodations
Puppies_and_Plants_004_2_.jpg

more super views of supercropping
Puppies_and_Plants_006_2_.jpg

Spreading em out a bit

The weather is supposed to cool down a bit here, I sure hope so. I don't have the scratch for an A/C at the moment though I am planning on adding one to my bloom room for CO2 purposes. Updates to follow same bat channel, same bat time.:peace:

Very nice bro! Seems like to got it planned to the T:bravo: The afghan goo is bommmmmm!:yahoo: Keep it up the babies arent babies anymore haha:ganjamon: Happy growing count me in!

HOLY GOD! haha love the set up brother, shit looks cash!
props homie, :D

Thanks StewyandShan, and thanks for stoppin in. Was gettin a little lonely in this thread, what with just me and Green007 on board.:thanks:

Very nice bro! Seems like to got it planned to the T:bravo: The afghan goo is bommmmmm!:yahoo: Keep it up the babies arent babies anymore haha:ganjamon: Happy growing count me in!

Welcome 808sWAGG, glad to have ya aboard. You know what they say about plans don't ya? They are best laid. :) And yes, my little girls are quickly becoming young ladies.

Hey drdan, if you post a link to this grow on the Deep Water Culture Home thread (link in my sig) you'll probably get some more viewers. ;)

lol, good, glad you like it. Welcome to the group! Could take you a couple of weeks to read it from the start. I recommend just jumping in on the end.
:peace:

Thanks, yes, I think it will take a bit to get through over 800 pages of threads. But I bet there will be jewels and pearls of wisdom galore. And it is going to be a blast discovering them. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom