Drying Your Weed - A Tutorial

ok that sounds great. I have heard cutting buds off and placing them on a screen in the dark with moving air (no heat) is the way to go. Does it really matter if I cut them or just leave them on and hang them? The white hairs are all changing colors to orange or browinsh gold now. I really concur with you. The quick dry ways are not for me. Don't care about length just quality and quanitity. Thank you SO much for your help. Thank you VERY much.

ok that sounds great. I have heard cutting buds off and placing them on a screen in the dark with moving air (no heat) is the way to go. Does it really matter if I cut them or just leave them on and hang them? The white hairs are all changing colors to orange or browinsh gold now. I really concur with you. The quick dry ways are not for me. Don't care about length just quality and quanitity. Thank you SO much for your help. Thank you VERY much.

id say yes it matters they'll dry fast on a screen even w/ ambient air. id hang them in the dark in a closet and monitor the humidity. i use a small 4 inch fan in the closet just to keep the air moving. the fan is not pointed at the weed drying. but just to move the air.

Curing is best done in total darkness at room temperatures with 62% RH. I use mason jars stored in a closed cardboard box in my office. The biggest advantage with that setup is that you can inspect your stash without having to open it up which can impact the stability of the cure environment for a short period of time.

slow drying is the way I have done for many years. Now for some people that do not live in a supper dry state like I do. If you slice open each branch it will help with drying time. My days in San Diego I had to do that . Curing I now cheat and use C Vault's no more burping jars.

420-magazine-mobile1890448680.jpg
freshly cured Davis banner super sticky . .

gwayne

Ok I just finished my harvest and dried for a week my buds feel crunchy on the outside so I Jared then after 24 hours the humidity was 72% should I pull them out of the jars and let them dry some more or just pop the tops for a few hours? I just bought some boveda humidity packs @62% but they won't b in till next week any opinions would b helpful
420-magazine-mobile17215697.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Re: Drying your weed - a tutorial.

In my eyes there is one and only one way to dry yor buds, and that is the slow drying mentioned above.

Fast drying will ruin the taste entirely and the smoke will be harsh. Oven drying (or dare I say microwave) is about the worst thing you could do because you have accelerated the drying process to such a degree. A fast dry does not allow chlorophyll to break down and instead preserves it. An oven only makes this increase tenfold. If you fast dry and dislike the taste, you had better learn to like it, because no amount of time will make that "planty" taste or harsh smoke go away, the ship has sailed at that point and theres no going back.

Sun drying is another method I disapprove of. Ultra-violet light (sunlight) degrades THC content and decreases potency. Also, the idea that if done quickly the potency will be untouched doesn't fly with me either. Fast drying is bad, remember?

I have never heard of the dry ice method, but something tells me that a substance that cold would not be good for trichomes at all.

I have no idea why growers get so impaitient at this point. They complete months of hard work in order to make the best possible buds and then throw it all away because they are too impaitient to wait another week for it to dry properly. Furthurmore, drying samples in the oven, for the reasons I have stated, will taste horrible and will not be a reflection of what you grew in anyway. So why bother? In closing, I would like to say I myself have been guilty of trying some of this in the past, which is exactly why you should heed my words of wisdom.

Paitience grasshopper! Dry you buds slow, dry your buds well! :peace:
Well Said.

Back
Top Bottom