Dubnation's - Indoor/Outdoor - Winter Grow Journal - 2016/2017

No no I didn't mean cooking the plants haha. I only referred to the soil, just thought your post I quoted meant something different. Basically can you over 'cook' a soil, to where it's TOO broken down? I definitely do not mean the plants themselves hahaa

Ah lol! Well I'm still a beginner so take it for what it's worth. I started off with a sub par soil which my first run gave me a chance to observe. Now I have another set that's flowering but I amended her before final transplant into flowering pots.

The first soil, since it's lacking, needs more amendments. And I'll see how my second batch works. Just dialing in until I'm satisfied in building a living organic soil.

I certainly have no idea about too broken down. Curious about that too... I know home made supersoil does have a self life.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So getting one new toy for the tent opens up so many other possibilities....

I decided to try for a multi use veg 4x4 tent. Where I use basically 1x4 for humidifier, fan and my new clone, germination and pre-teens. Stacked so I can clone on one rack and veg to pre-teens on the top rack.

Then on the other 3x4 area I use the LED for continued veg before sending out to flower.

Please let me know if this is absolutely absurd or I'm heading in a decent direction of always having new strains, clones for friends and patients and vegging.

c8618fc53dbda8b35c714359835942ca.jpg

37f81dcded40cdc0f48a452b4708488b.jpg

9f4cf28095b04bc1d364be7e2e566396.jpg

One reason I did this was that I had the extra lights so might as well use them?

It's a 8-bulb T5HO for pre teens. And a 2-bulb T5HO below for new cuttings.

On the left is the Mars Hydro 2 400W.

So getting one new toy for the tent opens up so many other possibilities....

I decided to try for a multi use veg 4x4 tent. Where I use basically 1x4 for humidifier, fan and my new clone, germination and pre-teens. Stacked so I can clone on one rack and veg to pre-teens on the top rack.

Then on the other 3x4 area I use the LED for continued veg before sending out to flower.

Please let me know if this is absolutely absurd or I'm heading in a decent direction of always having new strains, clones for friends and patients and vegging.

c8618fc53dbda8b35c714359835942ca.jpg

37f81dcded40cdc0f48a452b4708488b.jpg

9f4cf28095b04bc1d364be7e2e566396.jpg

One reason I did this was that I had the extra lights so might as well use them?

It's a 8-bulb T5HO for pre teens. And a 2-bulb T5HO below for new cuttings.

On the left is the Mars Hydro 2 400W.

Nope, I'm running a 2 light system as well. If you add another flower tent, you could be harvesting once a month, instead of every 2 months. If I had the room, I'd do that.

Sent from my Z981 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Nope, I'm running a 2 light system as well. If you add another flower tent, you could be harvesting once a month, instead of every 2 months. If I had the room, I'd do that.

Yes I do have a flower room! My backyard lol. So that is my plan. Harvest monthly. Still behind that schedule now but as soon as my next clones go I should have monthly harvests. Fun and challenging.

Also I plan on bud washing this next chop. My first time. Since I had those aphids (black and super tiny) I'd like to see what the wash will bring out.

Seems like all the evidence points to a great smoke! And of course healthier. Why grow organically if the finished product isn't of that high quality.

Sounds good to me, I'll be sitting on on your next journal. I hate aphids, they got all over my peppers. But luckily getting rid of them was easy, I don't know how easy it'll be to get rid of them on bud.

Yeah I started another journal, it's just the flower stage. But cloning from the flower stage is pretty interesting, I'm excited to see how well it does.

Interesting, I might have to read up on using the string lights in a veg. How's this weather affecting your grow, any bugs or adverse effects?

Taking clones from flowering plants is called "Super Cropping"... well thats the stoner work for it~! :thumb:

I do it some but its usually when I forgot to take clones in VEG and the lady starts to look like a keeper and no clones.

Lately I've been slacking and keep forgetting to take cuttings at the 12/12 flip. I run REG seeds a lot so I won't know it's female until sometimes into flower and then it's a super crop clone... Some girls don't want to show the bits .... shy I guess. Some are like: Hey look at at me over here I need a lot of attention NOW and throw out a few pistols in VEG..

What I'm doing now is take clones of every plant that goes into flower... cull if male... if exceptional doner plant, make a mother.

So Dub what you see with those 1 leaf then 3 leaf clones, they were taken when there were flowers or pre-flowers and were maybe even on the clone too. That causes all sorts of things for the cutting....plant thinks it got cut down....plant lost its main stem (apical meristem) and forgets whom she is basically. This is why it takes FOREVER to develop into a normal looking plant. Lots for the cutting to catch up on but the main thing is she thinks her head (main stem) and legs (roots) just got cut off... well they did. Big shock for sure.

BUT - the good thing is you saved the genetics.

Patience and you can get them back to looking like the mother. Dub you got in going with the training specially with the top and spread in VEG.

The Super Crop plants seem to want to grow with extremely tight inter-nodes from my experience. So training is the way to go and Dub you have it going on. That's the way I wanna do mine... I have at least 10 clones I took off 2 plants and they were in flower hard when I took the cuttings. Ah well... They look pretty much the same as the spindly 1 leafs or 3 leafs for now.

Congrats on your harvest there buddy... and the new lamp... Wife bought you a new light? You must be doing a lot of things right there, keep up the great work! :high-five:

Gnats.. get some H2O2 (Hydrogen peroxide) 3% or 7% solution at the drug store.. add a shot glass or 2 to a cup of water and into a spray bottle and spray on the soil surface around the plants... it's harmless to plants not so much for gnats and their larvae. Not for the seedlings tho... Gnats are just a pain they really don't bother with plants much. They are actually a sign of a lot of moisture in the soil.

Spinosad AKA Monterrey Garden Spray mixed with water and sprayed on with a sprayer is the solution to rid the grow space of these critters and some others that are actually more detrimental to life in the container garden and organic. We usually see the Gnats in the seedling area since we are not practicing any IPM on them.

Yer garden looking stellar .. pretty cool to see outdoor plants in flower in January.... Oh yeah Cali... nice. I'd be loving a drive down to Mexico ... way down south and sandy beach 4X4 for some swim/kayak time. My wife and I could do that...

Thanks for dropping in!

Looks like most critters are gone from tent. The traps and mosquito bits worked well. Great learning experience and thanks for sharing your strategies guys.

Here's the update.

White Russian chopped and hung (without bud washing) finally trimmed and in jars to cure. Here's her ridiculously small top cola:

420-magazine-mobile1352654310.jpg

I chopped the Chronic which is same age but took longer to get full cloudy with a little amber trichomes. She however did get WASHED. wow what an experience. These first two I chopped were the runts and test runs. My next two will be at least 4x this yield I can tell already.

Chopped:
420-magazine-mobile219149391.jpg

Cut to manageable branches to wash:
420-magazine-mobile2127190049.jpg

Top cola before wash:
420-magazine-mobile1864966143.jpg

Top cola after wash:
420-magazine-mobile874252475.jpg

And the 3 buckets (I couldn't get my hands on H2O2 so I'll do that next round):

Bucket 1: Lemon & Baking Soda:
420-magazine-mobile1882357004.jpg

Bucket 2: water room temp
420-magazine-mobile554717695.jpg

Bucket 3: semi cold filtered water
420-magazine-mobile461135065.jpg

I am such a believer in washing even before I started but now wow. Maybe the pic can't show it but there's a lot of gunk in there. Small baby critters, hairs, dust and who knows what else.

Now they hang:
420-magazine-mobile1839617021.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1025544700.jpg

They look amazing after the wash as compared to unwashed. Wow. Hope they don't get mold though. I shook them pretty well after.

Party on folks!

I'm so happy my clones bounced back. After the fungus gnats attack I thought these clones wouldn't make it. Here's a before (about 10 days ago)

420-magazine-mobile1785145106.jpg

And here they are today. When I pot up to 1-gal they weren't rootbound but I suspect they weren't getting enough oxygen.

420-magazine-mobile1672059125.jpg

These Chronic clones will probably go untrained and let them explode for the outdoor season soon.

Also here are the White Russian clones. They are very squat and in 3-gal pots. Been in veg for a long time and will be for another 20 days as I'm going on another biz trip soon.

420-magazine-mobile1224252161.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1363580556.jpg

The closest one is my White Widow from seed. She now has 8 tops and will be topped a last time in a week. Then will start more bondage and let her go.

I am having concern for my GDP seedlings. They are finishing up their 2nd week and leaves are droopy. I water very consistently and only when the cups are light. I worry it may be pests in the soil?

420-magazine-mobile798448593.jpg

The 2 seedlings w/ turned down leaves look like too much water. I suggest watering only around stem in small circle. As they grow, increase size of circle & amt. of water. Based on current size, ~2 oz. each will do it, then go to 3-4 oz., etc. This will increase oxygen in root zone. The pale seedling looks like it needs to be fed..maybe a drop or 2. Check your pH too as seedlings are very sensitive about pH. :Namaste:

Dubs have been looking good. Cupcake. Lol.

Quick update on the two girls flowering. Here's the White Russian:

420-magazine-mobile579148500.jpg

She's filling out much faster than the Chronic:

420-magazine-mobile840345509.jpg

And here they are together:

420-magazine-mobile1185699722.jpg

Been fighting fungus gnats so I ordered nematodes which I hope will be my long term solution. Certainly was slacking on my IPM. Yellow traps are catching less and less and there's no signs of damage.

The seedlings all perked up. But a little lighter green side so I'll be top dressing with some N Guano next feed along with a diluted tea from Alfalfa and Kelp Meal.

Finding P deficiency surprisingly so made some ACT for the WR clones. They have been in veg for a long time. Nutes must be depleting in the soil.

Transplanted my clones from 3 gal to 5 gal fabric pots. I'm leaving for another biz trip for 10 days this Friday.

They surround my 6 week old White Widow now topped for the last time for 16 tops. Will transplant and cage up prior to leaving as well. As of now she's in a 1-gal.

420-magazine-mobile1790649372.jpg

I've been dealing with yellow/brown tips and brown spots on leaves of my WR clones. I added some P Guano to my ACT so hopefully that will correct things.

Still waiting on Nematodes but more yellow traps seems to be reducing the gnat population.

The seedlings have completely bounced back. Does anyone have advice about GDP? Is she a hungry one? Feeding her more N than any other seedling as she's getting a little pale green.

Have a great week all! By the time I get back I hope to chop one of my flowering girls. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom