DWC Deep Water Culture. first hydro attempt.

thank you charlie.it means a lot. dealing with a death of a close family member is extremely difficult. but the love and support of friends and family will get you through anything.

ive also been burning as many grape cigarillos as i can, as they were my cousins favorite, and we smoked a whole lot while he lived with me. those times will never be forgotten. i love him to death. and although he is in a better place now, i wish i had more time with him, and i wish he had more time on this earth. 19 years old. hislife hadnt even started yet.

R.I.P. GDG. youll never be forgotten.

"dont wollow in your sorrow, live life to its fullest. tomorrow isnt promised to anyone. have no regrets."

no flush yet. i need to. but my cousin was in a car accident and past away. so im gonna be busy for a few days. im sure ill get to flushing soon. but this is a bit more important ya know.

ill update when I can.

My blessings and prayers go out too yoou,and your family as well hopefully you will find strength too carry on....Sorry too hear about your loss may your cousin rest in peace.......

hang in there weedy, loss is a bitch, but after time you'll feel a bit better.

just remember that he isn't suffering or in pain or missing you, only you him, and you will eventually be less sad and the only thing that will remain is your appreciation for having the time that you did with him, and thankful for the positive influence he had on your life.

i lost my uncle recently. my heart goes out to you my friend.

about your grow:

dont worry about the difference in appearance, different types of weed look different, its totally normal, as long as it is growing and not showing signs of stress.

A ppm, ph, and temp meters are all very helpful in DWC. hanna meters are good if you get an expensive one, poor if you get a $30 one. just like every other company, you'll pretty much get what you pay for.

don't worry about getting your roots into the solution, actually they will probably feed better in the air above the water due to lots of available oxygen and 100% moisture, dont worry by the time they are bigger you wont know what to do with all those roots. it looks like you have plenty of air in your bucket, and your PH sounds right. and if your leaves aren't showing any burn, I think your nutes are cool too.

I'm gonna let you in on a little DWC secret that took me a long time to discover. one of the most important factors growing in DWC is getting oxygen to the root system. Most people just think this means an air pump and stone, and your good. . . not really. The amount of oxygen that your water can retain is directly related to its TEMPERATURE! anything over 75* is getting dangerously close to not being able to retain enough oxygen for your plants. your target res temp should be around 68*.

the first sign that your plant isn't getting enough oxygen to the roots is slimy brownish roots that dont have little hairs or many off shoots. Healthy roots Are bright white, and look like they shot out of spiderman's wrists.

if your little room is getting up into the 80's it's quite possible that you res is getting too warm. There are many expensive and awesome ways to cool your res if you want to spend a hundred bucks or more, but if you want to go cheap, you could always freeze some 2 liter bottles full of water in the freezer, and change them out as needed. you will of course need a thermometer to maintain the right temp. There are other cheap ways to keep it cool if you look around.

if you have ph drops, and follow the directions on the FF nutes, i would be most concerned about res temp. . . plus its nearly impossible to burn your plants using organic nutes (but FF is only partly organic. so you should still monitor it closely)

good luck with your grow bro.
I'll check in from time to time. hope all is well.

so sorry abut your cousin man, best thing you can do to honor his memory is live a good life yourself.

peace.
WOF!

ok first i want to thank everyone for their kind words and prayers. i appreciate all of it.

anyways. i didnt flush. i took WOF advice and started putting frozen two liters into the res. and with the lower temps, the plants have gottena darker green, and the roots are more white, and haveless organic sludge on them. FF nutes used at the 100% strength according to their schedule is way to strong BTW. i picked up a cheap ppm pen. itwas $40 i know i needed it anyways. i tested my res. and it read 550 on a .5 pen, so its acutaly 1100ppm. so they drank up some water anyways, so i added a gallon of plain water and now its down to 505 or 1010ppm. i change the res this week, so ill be mixing nutes at 75% and see how that turns out. im hoping to have a ppm of around 950 or so seeing hows its been so high already, they should be able to handle it. ive also got the res temp down to 65-75 deg. with the temp in the room around 85 on a normal day. also ive been thinking about the fact that these two plants are completely different. it might be a good idea for me to switch them out of the DWC and just have seperate 5 gallon bucket DWCs to manage their levels easier. idk well see. anyways heres a few pics. more will come of the root mass and everything else.

0810091251.jpg

0810091303.jpg

bushmaster supreme. this one has like 10 branches and is only 6" tall. all the others are pushing 11"
0811091301a.jpg

and this one i supercropped and this was the day after. it had already stood right back up.
0811091301b.jpg

healthy lookin ladies
:goodjob:

I was jus reading up on your thread.. my sincerest apologies.

lookin good bro.

Good advice from WOF - res temps are key

Thank you guys, and yes because of that info from WOF my ladies are looking a much healthier green, and ive been keeping the res temps between 62-75. two liters melt too fast, and take too long too refreeze. so i need to figure something out for that to make it easier.

other than that, the tall one is standing back up tall at 11" after straightening out after the supercrop. the other is only about 5 or 6" tall but has like 10+ branches.

few things you can do to make it a bit easier.

first is try to keep the cold IN your res. wrap it in fiberglass insulation, spray it with foam, tape styrofoam on it, something. if you keep the cold in, the things your using to cool it with will last longer

also you can use something that has a higher heat capacity than water. water has a heat capacity of about 2.05 (J/(g*K)) in ice form, and about 4.18 in its liquid form. this means that it takes alot more energy to change the temp of the water from 40* to 41* than it does from -10* to -9*. thats why they melt so fast, but if the water in the 2liter is still 36*, its still working even though its not frozen. the water Cp is very high, which is good, but its not so high when its in ice form. you can find things that stay frozen better. if you just wanted to buy something, you could buy some of those blue freezer packs, they're pretty cheap and you can find them everywhere. i bet they stay frozen longer.

last option is to spend some money on a chiller. there are chillers that drill into the side of your tub, half inside, half out. less than 100 bucks. uses little electricity. i'm thinking about getting one later when i have money again.

way healthy bro.. way healthy

thanks man, my only concern has been that the roots are still brownish. so im was thinking about adding some superthrive when i do the res change. correct me if i shouldnt do that please.

ive been keeping the res temp 70 or below.

do you use hygrozyme, or some other enzyme formula? also you could add some bene's if you don't do that either. either of those would help tremendously with roots if you haven't done either. hygrozyme all the time! bene's once in a while. superthrive is good too, but not like the other two as far as roots go.

the leaves are looking very healthy though! remind me again (im forgetful lol) when are you planning on going to 12/12? what is the plan about keeping a plant going to clone again later?

Back
Top Bottom