Edibles not working

BuzzyB

I was referred to this forum from the MM lounge forum. They said you may be able to help me! I have been consuming edibles for 4 or 5 months now.....suddenly they have quit working.....COMPLETELY! I have been using white rhino...1/2 oz to one stick of butter to make no bake cookies. I eat one at night to help with pain and insomnia. The insomnia is the worst....now I get no relief at all, not even the tiniest buzz. I have tried smoking it recently, nothing. I ground it up and put it in 00 caps and took one and nothing. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions? I am about at my wits end. No sleep and pain makes for a miserable existence! Please help? Guess I don't have enough posts yet to ask the higher ups! Your help is so appreciated!

BuzzyB :love:

Sounds like you might be building up the tolerance to thc. Its a normal thing as it is with all drugs. I usually add about an ounce to my brownie mix.
Have you changed how your making the cookies? Maybe its effecting the thc? Be careful with heat. You want to keep temps below 300 or you cook the thc off.

Sounds like you might be building up the tolerance to thc. Its a normal thing as it is with all drugs. I usually add about an ounce to my brownie mix.
Have you changed how your making the cookies? Maybe its effecting the thc? Be careful with heat. You want to keep temps below 300 or you cook the thc off.

Actually, I have been on the med for about 4 months. Can I build up resistance that quickly? I am making the cookies the same way I have been....I make the no bake so that I reduce the risk of too much heat. I am confused. Could I have just gotten hold of a bad strain? I should feel some effect with any strain I use, correct? I am going to try to double my dose tonight and see if it helps. I apologize for pestering you, but there are very few, if any, places to go for advice. Everyone looks at me like I am nuts when I tell them it has quit working. I appreciate your help! I am a senior and never liked the stuff in the 60's so guess I am a first time user. It is my last hope...docs filled me with so many chemicals over the years I don't know how I've survived this long! lol Please let me know if you have any other ideas on what to try or what might help? Thank you so much!:thumb:

Hey BuzzyB, sorry to hear your edibles aren't as potent. I am an avid baker and my go-to method is reliable and has kept patients happy. I use an ounce per pound of butter, with mid to high grade med. I will melt the butter in a large saucepan with about 2 inches of water added, to prevent the butter from scalding. Once it's fully melted, I add the med - which I loosely tore apart, stems left on. I bring it to a gentle boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. I let this go 6-8 hours, depending on what time I started that day, adding water as it evaporates. I use a bolt on the inside of the pan as a guide for how much water I have lost during the day.

Remove the pan from heat and let cool briefly. I use an extra large measuring cup and rubber-band a cheesecloth loosely around the top. You want the med to be able to sit in a little pocket as you pour it in from the pan. Pour the mixture through the cheesecloth, remove the rubber-band and gather the ends of the cloth together. Starting from the top and working your way down, squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the cloth.

Refrigerate the cup and when the butter is solid, use a butter knife or small icing knife (a bit easier to work with) and slide it around the edge of the solidified butter to dislodge it. The butter will be resting above the water, once you have disconnected it from the sides of the glass, carefully hold the edge of the butter and pour the excess water out the spout. Remove from measuring cup, and you have a perfect round block of butter!

I find that cooking with 325 degrees is adequate for keeping the potency of the cannabutter intact. Use with any recipe that calls for butter, but here's a modification that I find extremely helpful: If a recipe calls for 1 stick of butter (4oz), I will weigh out 6oz of cannabutter, plus 2-4oz of regular butter - depending on desired consistency. This is due to the THC which has bonded to your butter, which creates a dry product. The increased amount keeps potency and moisture in your baked goods. Adding regular butter will also help keep your moisture content.

I hope that was helpful! Let me know if you have any baking needs/concerns.

Hey BuzzyB, sorry to hear your edibles aren't as potent. I am an avid baker and my go-to method is reliable and has kept patients happy. I use an ounce per pound of butter, with mid to high grade med. I will melt the butter in a large saucepan with about 2 inches of water added, to prevent the butter from scalding. Once it's fully melted, I add the med - which I loosely tore apart, stems left on. I bring it to a gentle boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. I let this go 6-8 hours, depending on what time I started that day, adding water as it evaporates. I use a bolt on the inside of the pan as a guide for how much water I have lost during the day.

Remove the pan from heat and let cool briefly. I use an extra large measuring cup and rubber-band a cheesecloth loosely around the top. You want the med to be able to sit in a little pocket as you pour it in from the pan. Pour the mixture through the cheesecloth, remove the rubber-band and gather the ends of the cloth together. Starting from the top and working your way down, squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the cloth.

Refrigerate the cup and when the butter is solid, use a butter knife or small icing knife (a bit easier to work with) and slide it around the edge of the solidified butter to dislodge it. The butter will be resting above the water, once you have disconnected it from the sides of the glass, carefully hold the edge of the butter and pour the excess water out the spout. Remove from measuring cup, and you have a perfect round block of butter!

I find that cooking with 325 degrees is adequate for keeping the potency of the cannabutter intact. Use with any recipe that calls for butter, but here's a modification that I find extremely helpful: If a recipe calls for 1 stick of butter (4oz), I will weigh out 6oz of cannabutter, plus 2-4oz of regular butter - depending on desired consistency. This is due to the THC which has bonded to your butter, which creates a dry product. The increased amount keeps potency and moisture in your baked goods. Adding regular butter will also help keep your moisture content.

Thanks for the info! Always a little nervous making butter! Sounds simple enough. Will certainly give it a try!

Thanks for the info! Always a little nervous making butter! Sounds simple enough. Will certainly give it a try!

Forgot...when I made butter I used 1/2 oz to a stick of butter. I ground up the med in my coffee grinder. The powder was so fine that when I made the chocolate no bake cookies I didn't bother to strain it. Just dumped the whole thing into the cookies. They were awesome and worked great! For whatever reason, the med, whether its butter, smoke, or capsules just does not have any effect. I think I could ingest an entire pound and it wouldn't make a difference. Any ideas on what might be causing that? Was using New York Diesel first and then a batch with White Rhino. Ran out and my caregiver gave me something different. Now it doesn't work anymore! HELP!!!!:420:

I've never made butter or edibles, but I have had similar experiences with smoking it. Usually I notice that I have to switch up the strain's every few weeks, some sooner than other's, because I build up a tolerance if I smoke 1 type of strain for too long.

I don't know if you have been using the same strain to make your butter with for the past 4 months, but if you have, you might want to switch it up to something a little different to see if you regain the effects :) hope this helps :)

I am a baker by trade. Never a recipe i couldn't get done. I,personally wouldn't simmer the butter w/ herb in it. After melting the butter w/h2o simmer that (reduce) and add the herb before the h2o is gone completely and let it steep a bit. to long a steep makes for a bitter product so just steep a little. Maybe in a double boiler set up. a sm pot w/ simmering h2o w/ a stainless bowl containing melted butter,h2o, and herb covering the simmering h2o. I find that keeping my herb under 200 degrees f. melts the tricomes but doesn't take from them.:goodluck::rollit::rollit::nomo::woohoo::battingeyelashes:

ps. I'm not crazy about edibles either. I like to smoke :joint::joint: WE have a pipe or three but I enjoy the old:joint: I love it matter of fact. I have a hard time putting my cola in butter n e way. like this: 1/2/oz will give u "X" amount of rolled smokes. Put 1/2 oz in your cookie recipe and you have divided that 1/2 into 36 (3 doz.) single servings. U eat X amount of cookies to get all the medicine u will from your 1 joint. Depending on if u roll fatties or skinnies or even that anorexic looking joint some of your "friends" bring to share.

I am a baker by trade. Never a recipe i couldn't get done. I,personally wouldn't simmer the butter w/ herb in it. After melting the butter w/h2o simmer that (reduce) and add the herb before the h2o is gone completely and let it steep a bit. to long a steep makes for a bitter product so just steep a little. Maybe in a double boiler set up. a sm pot w/ simmering h2o w/ a stainless bowl containing melted butter,h2o, and herb covering the simmering h2o. I find that keeping my herb under 200 degrees f. melts the tricomes but doesn't take from them.:goodluck::rollit::rollit::nomo::woohoo::battingeyelashes:

May have come up with a better way (for me) to make budder. I followed your suggestion and used a double boiler setup. Added NO water this time.....simmered for about 6 or 7 hours. Did not strain. Used entire batch for cookies. I used 1/2 oz to 2 sticks of butter (making 1 cup of med butter). Worked awesome! Thank you for the suggestion!

Take your bud remove all sticks and grind into a fine powder and add to your butter. let plat material simmer and cook with your edibles.
Avoid cooling Canaproducts in cold temperatures as i find it messes with potency.
Change up your meds. Injesting leave the product in your system so your body will adapat to it quicker than smoking. And yes, you do build a resistance to canabis pretty fast. The remedy is usually simple. Flush out your system with a detox. or swith to another bud for a bit or switch to a few buds for a while and then go back to your regular dose. there are several more out there for what you described.

As an added kick, any leaves or trim or stick, feel freee to boil those with the milk you use to bake, take out the rufage at the end of milk boiling, Milk works wonders at abtracting thc due to natural fatty components.

Try methods suggested, if not try a canabutter, canaoil, canamilk browny to help with your edibles.

EXCELLENT POST! Great advice. I have only made brownies over the years and am extremely interested in perfecting the baking end of the spectrum. Al you "budder makers" have some great techniques but what you just posted seems quite helpful for my future projects. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

ps. I'm not crazy about edibles either ... Depending on if u roll fatties or skinnies or even that anorexic looking joint some of your "friends" bring to share.

Ever notice how friends bring really skinny joints to a sharing party? How come they do that? When they are "borrowing" a dube from you they sure can pack a bunch of weed into that roll, but somehow it becomes quite thin when it is their turn. HAH!
Oh well, as the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers once said: " A friend with weed is a friend indeed!" is oh, so, t-r-u-e!!!
Peace, love and greeness...

Thanks, STP! The latest bud and trim from the last harvest has finished curing. I will be working on making new butter/oil batches. I have plans on making browned cannabutter, which would be browning the milk solids in the butter after it separates; the technique makes for a really pleasant nutty aroma of butter that really boosts the flavor in recipes like classic chocolate chip cookies. I'm hoping I can figure out the right method to make it translate to cannabutter without losing potency or burning the milk solids.

Blacken, great idea with the milk. I was doing some research on that as well. I believe I would try the double boiler for milk, as it has the potential to burn if unwatched.

MMM, what is it you don't enjoy about edibles?

Back
Top Bottom