Fabric pots

HermanMonster

Hi On my second crop. Had good success with first harvest in 3 gal plastic pots. 100% germination rate. So having read positive comments about fabric pots decided to switch to them. Out of 6 seeds in fabric 3gal only two survived. In every failure the seed penetrated the surface and stopped before popping open. On removal it was obvious the root had dried and died. Im thinking that I neglected to pre saturate the 4 failed pots enough or didnt water enough? I would appreciate any advice or shared wisdom on germinating in fabric pots. Thanks.

Starting in a fabric vs plastic has no bearing on the seed germination

Side of the pot is so far away from the seed there is no relation

Start seeds in water, then paper towels, then in solo cup, much better success %

Hi thanks for your input. fabric pots drain more rapidly than plastic. And they breath through the sides causing them to dry out faster. Thats why i was wondering if i dried my seeds to death. I will try them again but will pre soak them for longer. I have two growing nicely in the fabric and am wondering what I did right?

fabric pots drain more rapidly than plastic. And they breath through the sides causing them to dry out faster. I will try them again but will pre soak them for longer. I have two growing nicely in the fabric and am wondering what I did right?
fabric and plastic pots drain equally, assuming they are using same medium. Most likely your admission of not pre-watering the pot was an issue in non-germination. Soaking them longer won't help if they get water starved in the pot.

Fabric pots are porous; water drains from the whole pot even the sides as opposed to plastic which drains only out of holes on the bottom. Perhaps a better way of stating it would be fabric pots dry more rapidly. I meant soaking the fabric pots longer perhaps even keeping them in a tray with a inch or so of water to prevent them from drying completely.

Fabric pots are porous; water drains from the whole pot even the sides as opposed to plastic which drains only out of holes on the bottom. Perhaps a better way of stating it would be fabric pots dry more rapidly. I meant soaking the fabric pots longer perhaps even keeping them in a tray with a inch or so of water to prevent them from drying completely.
Fabric pots allow the roots to air prune, which means the roots are occupying the porosity of the fabric...also means there is a more expansive and water-retaining root ball. The media in the pot is the actual water retainer, so it depends on what you are using. A properly prepared soil will hold moisture equally well in plastic, fabric, or air pot.

Keeping any pot in standing water will rot your roots. ;)

I have my plants in fabric 3 gallon pots. I started the germination in Jiffy peat pucks. Once they sprouted I expanded some more peat pucks and then used some 3 inch jiffy cardboard cups with holes all over the place. I drilled them although I could have poked holes. Once they got a little bigger I transplanted them in the jiffy cups to soil. They are growing like weeds now and just hit 15 days. One thing I used was a clear plastic dome that was about 10 inches tall to give it the greenhouse effect. The diamond nectar is 1 liter and is for size comparison. Gotta like Success Jalapeno peppers. You might be able to get the containers from a grocery store that has a deli and or bakery in it. That's where I got mine. I actually have a few of them and am getting more all the time.

I've had nearly 100% success rate by mixing 5ml of Clonex into 1gal R.O. water jug, and pouring it on a doubled up paper towel, putting into a closed sandwich tupperware container, with the seed(s) between the soaked paper towel. Leave in a dark warm place for 48 hours and...BOOM! Germinated seeds!
I pretty much do the same thing I put them in paper towels with the water that I used to soak the seeds for 18 hrs .Then I put them in a warm dark place . I dont bother with the Tupperware and have had a 90% germ rate.

Once the tap root is 1/2 inch long I plant them into a 4 inch pot in promix simply because I find up potting from a fabric pot to be a pain and only use fabric for my final pot

I pretty much do the same thing I put them in paper towels with the water that I used to soak the seeds for 18 hrs .Then I put them in a warm dark place . I dont bother with the Tupperware and have had a 90% germ rate.

Once the tap root is 1/2 inch long I plant them into a 4 inch pot in promix simply because I find up potting from a fabric pot to be a pain and only use fabric for my final pot

Nice! I use 1 gal fabric pots to plant them in. I don't find them too bothersome at all, and found that they have a much better grow rate than in plastic as long as the soil stays consistently moist.

Feed-Feed-Tea-Feed-Feed-Flush

Back
Top Bottom