Fabric pots

Dirtdemon

I have decided to try 15 gallon fabric pots. 4 or 6 in a 4’ by 4’ by 80’ tent. See how they fit before I decide. Is there anything different I need to know to make the transition?

15 gallon is pretty huge for a tent grow! Why so big? Just curious.. Maybe for just one or two plant in that space it would be good but I'd call it major overkill.. You're likely going to be wasting a bit of media/water /nutes. Just my opinion though.. Also be aware that moving a full 5 gallon fabric pot is not that easy due to its saggy nature , can't imagine wrangling 15's... They do dry out noticeably faster especially if there is a breeze. All the best with the grow!

15 gallon is pretty huge for a tent grow! Why so big? Just curious.. Maybe for just one or two plant in that space it would be good but I'd call it major overkill.. You're likely going to be wasting a bit of media/water /nutes. Just my opinion though.. Also be aware that moving a full 5 gallon fabric pot is not that easy due to its saggy nature , can't imagine wrangling 15's... They do dry out noticeably faster especially if there is a breeze. All the best with the grow!
Okay here is my thinking. With a 15g pot the roots will be able to spread as much as they want. And I can put 2 or 3 plants per pot if I so choose. and Just because I want to try and see how big of a plant can be grown in my little tent lol.

Okay here is my thinking. With a 15g pot the roots will be able to spread as much as they want. And I can put 2 or 3 plants per pot if I so choose. and Just because I want to try and see how big of a plant can be grown in my little tent lol.
I fill my 4x4 with 4 5gal fabric pots. The point of a fabric pot is that it gives you a much bigger/denser root system anyway. So 4 15gal would be definite overkill. Ive only got 3 in my tent at the moment but as you can see Id have room for 1 extra plant maximum

I fill my 4x4 with 4 5gal fabric pots. The point of a fabric pot is that it gives you a much bigger/denser root system anyway. So 4 15gal would be definite overkill. Ive inly got 3 in my tent at the moment but as you can see Id have room for 1 extra plant maximum
Very nice! That’s kinda the point. I want to see if the roots will fill the pot like a 5 gallon pot. The theory in my mind is the plants will be happier if the roots never bottom out on the pot.

Although I do like your idea. I been toyin with the thought of 1x50gal fabric pot and try to fill out my 4x4 with one plant lol. Thats waaay in the future though once im sitting comfortably on some jars of heaven.
I was going to get one that filled the hole floor of the tent. But I changed my mind because I was worried about drainage.

Very nice! That’s kinda the point. I want to see if the roots will fill the pot like a 5 gallon pot. The theory in my mind is the plants will be happier if the roots never bottom out on the pot.
Yah but then you're losing major root pruning action. If the roots dont reach the bottom or sides they wont get air pruned (well they might but not at the magnitude they should)

I do not know what that means.
Fabric pots build roots. The way they do this is air pruning. The roots reach the fabric and start to grow into it, once they hit the air they get pruned (basically topped) which forces another root to branch off that root to search for moisture and so on and so forth. If the root does not hit that air you may aswell just save your money and get some biiiig plastic pots.

In short if you go for 15gal your plants will fill your grow space and need to be flipped before your roots even touch the sides of the pot. Once in flower there is little to no new root development (I think ,hopefully someone will correct me if im rong) so its fruitless. You would have to grow a monster of a plant to fill out the 15gal

I been toyin with the thought of 1x50gal fabric pot and try to fill out my 4x4 with one plant lol. Thats waaay in the future though once im sitting comfortably on some jars of heaven.

Somebody somewhere made a good point that you are better off growing 4x plants than 1x large plant in a tent....I forget the specifics but it made a lot of sense....50 gallons work well in this type of tent though......

Somebody somewhere made a good point that you are better off growing 4x plants than 1x large plant in a tent....I forget the specifics but it made a lot of sense....50 gallons work well in this type of tent though......

Looking goood blew. Yah true as i said though this is just for in the future when I got time and a LOT of bud to tide me over lol

In short if you go for 15gal your plants will fill your grow space and need to be flipped before your roots even touch the sides of the pot. Once in flower there is little to no new root development (I think ,hopefully someone will correct me if im rong) so its fruitless. You would have to grow a monster of a plant to fill out the 15gal
I did not know that was the point of fabric pots. I figured it was some hippy save the environment kinda thing lol. Hmmmm I already bought them and too late to put them outside.hmmm need a new plan

I did not know that was the point of fabric pots. I figured it was some hippy save the environment kinda thing lol. Hmmmm I already bought them and too late to put them outside.hmmm need a new plan
Lol na man science is behind it.
Transplanting from a smaller fabric pot first would help. Let the roots fill out say a 3-4gal, then when you up pot that fat root ball will take off and your plants will explode. Maybe just use 2 or 3 plants. Only reason I say 3 is for quick tent coverage so you wont be in veg for too long and be doing loads of lsting. training will be mandatory to stop em getting too tall

In 3 and 5 gallon fabric pots I get very solid root balls that still drain perfectly. No chance of reclaiming coco without a ridiculous amount of work. Also I find the roots are stuck into the fabric a bit at harvest time, not a big deal just annoying at clean up. Maybe it's just the particular brand I have.

In 3 and 5 gallon fabric pots I get very solid root balls that still drain perfectly. No chance of reclaiming coco without a ridiculous amount of work. Also I find the roots are stuck into the fabric a bit at harvest time, not a big deal just annoying at clean up. Maybe it's just the particular brand I have.
Na thats normal cuz. it makes you wonder where all that soil dissapears to ay.

Lol na man science is behind it.
Transplanting from a smaller fabric pot first would help. Let the roots fill out say a 3-4gal, then when you up pot that fat root ball will take off and your plants will explode. Maybe just use 2 or 3 plants. Only reason I say 3 is for quick tent coverage so you wont be in veg for too long and be doing loads of lsting. training will be mandatory to stop em getting too tall
Excellent now I have a new plan. Thanks guy!

Also I find the roots are stuck into the fabric a bit at harvest time, not a big deal just annoying at clean up. Maybe it's just the particular brand I have.

I cut off at the base of the stalk and let the pot sit for 2-3 weeks...drying it makes it easier to peel pot off root ball.

Back
Top Bottom