Finally Got My MM Card: Newbie

Hello all,
After years of dealing with pain and also taking opioid pain relievers, I was approved for a Medical Mariajuana card earlier this week. I'm excited, but nervous about coming off the pills (pain/withdrawals). I so can't wait to visit the dispensary and see what goodies they have. I am currently dealing with terrible neuropathy in both legs/feet, arthritis in my neck, bad back, etc. I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (form of Muscular Dystrophy). I also have major anxiety problems and am clinically depressed, although I feel happy right now lol

Hope I get some good info here and maybe make some new friends :) I do have a couple questions. Can MM make you high or give you a relaxing buzz while helping conquer the pain at the same time? What strains are good for the type of problems I have?

Thank you in advance.
First off welcome to the blog!

I didn't read what others have posted so if I am repeating anything I am sorry.

I found that finding the majik cannabis that cures all has been a journey lol. Basically what works for one may not work for another so you have to try a few and figure it out. I have general anxiety but heavier in the social anxiety, I've been diagnosed bi polar but that changed when I changed my mind set and diet so was I actually bi polar?, depression is/was a constant struggle for me but since I have dabbled in cannabis it's much less obstructive/destructive to my daily life - I find now that I am just lethargic (sign of depression as I am sure you know) and I either need to get up and move about, go outside etc or smoke some weed if that doesn't work.

I prefer sativa as indica has the tendency to make me more lethargic and aggressive than I already am. Though I am going to try it again as I would like some assistance with my insomnia. I haven't decided yet Bubba Kush X PCK or Bubba Kush X Hashplant, time will tell.

If you are looking for something that helps with pain and anxiety but leaves you functional maybe try something high in CBD.... just scrolled up to see what others had to say and man I'm not telling you anything they haven't lol.

Terpenes are another thing to take into consideration as Buds Bunny said. Personally I like a citrus or tropical fruit scent as these tend to be uplifting and that is what I look for in cannabis. Again though terpenes and cannabis effect each of us differently and even the same individual will have a different experience based on mood, time of day etc so yes, indeed you do have a beautiful journey ahead of you and we look forward to what you learn through out it!

Is there much of a difference between dry herbs, vapes and (say) edibles? Looks like this place only has pills.
I wanted to share my experiences with each of these.

Dry herb is the oldest way, of course, and many state it's still the best. It's almost always the way we all start out. For me, I find smoking a joint hits me the hardest/fastest/highest. And I never shy away from this when visiting friends and sharing a session, talking, laughing and filling the room with a cloud of smoke. :rollit:

However, because of my long term conditions that I'm medicating for, I've chosen to primarily use a dry herb desktop vaporizer for inhaling my home grown medicine. It's the least harmful to the lungs, and I like that. My herb lasts so much longer this way too. One of the many things I like about this method is that one can start a new bowl on a low setting to get the benefits of certain terpenes and cannabinoids that vapor off at these lower temps that would otherwise be destroyed with a flame. Then I turn up the heat and get the rest of the good stuff, which is fun, fun, fun. :volcano-smiley:

Many years ago, I tried an edible for the 1st time. I was at a well reviewed dispensary as a 1st time patient and they gave me a cookie/edible as a thank you for my purchase. I told them I was still rather new to this whole thing and then asked: "Do I simply eat this whole cookie?" I apologized for the dumb question, but because I was so new to this, I needed to know. They assured me that I could eat the whole cookie with no problems at all. Boy were they WRONG!!! The next evening, I eat the cookie while watching some TV. About 40 mins later I started to feel something. 20 more mins and I was so high, I started to feel horrible. Then the shakes started. The shakes got so bad that I had to go to bed. I stayed there and shook for 2 and 1/2 days, only getting up to drink water and the restroom. This is NO exaggeration! Once I recovered, I searched online for answers and discovered that new people should not consume more than 10mg at a time, then wait an hour or more to see how things go. I then dug in the trash to find the wrapper and discovered this edible had 100mg of THC!!! No fucking wonder!!! I was SO mad... but what could I do? Live and learn.

Then last year, after reading so many good things about edibles, I decided to make my own. And BOY am I happy I did! This is an absolutely WONDERFUL way to consume cannabis. The effects are much deeper and much more focused on your entire body, and not just your head. Pain? What pain? I feel sooo great when I eat edibles. And it stays with you for sooo much longer too. My fave is to make oatmeal raisin cookies using the recipe on the Quaker Oats lid. All I do is infuse the butter with my ground up buds, no other changes.

I hope this sheds some light on things for you... :smokin:

P.S. What did you mean by "pills"?

WOW!! I didn't expect to get such a welcome, but thank you all!!

I live In Pennsylvania (I feel fine saying where I live now), so medical marijuana is legal. Regular isn't...yet. As far as growing, I'd rather not. Not now anyway. I have an appointment for one dispensary this coming Friday (6/4). There are only 3 places in my county I can go to. I will have to look at all the replies. I shouldn't have too much trouble as the pharmacists there seem knowledgable.

I wanted to share my experiences with each of these.

Dry herb is the oldest way, of course, and many state it's still the best. It's almost always the way we all start out. For me, I find smoking a joint hits me the hardest/fastest/highest. And I never shy away from this when visiting friends and sharing a session, talking, laughing and filling the room with a cloud of smoke. :rollit:

However, because of my long term conditions that I'm medicating for, I've chosen to primarily use a dry herb desktop vaporizer for inhaling my home grown medicine. It's the least harmful to the lungs, and I like that. My herb lasts so much longer this way too. One of the many things I like about this method is that one can start a new bowl on a low setting to get the benefits of certain terpenes and cannabinoids that vapor off at these lower temps that would otherwise be destroyed with a flame. Then I turn up the heat and get the rest of the good stuff, which is fun, fun, fun. :volcano-smiley:

Many years ago, I tried an edible for the 1st time. I was at a well reviewed dispensary as a 1st time patient and they gave me a cookie/edible as a thank you for my purchase. I told them I was still rather new to this whole thing and then asked: "Do I simply eat this whole cookie?" I apologized for the dumb question, but because I was so new to this, I needed to know. They assured me that I could eat the whole cookie with no problems at all. Boy were they WRONG!!! The next evening, I eat the cookie while watching some TV. About 40 mins later I started to feel something. 20 more mins and I was so high, I started to feel horrible. Then the shakes started. The shakes got so bad that I had to go to bed. I stayed there and shook for 2 and 1/2 days, only getting up to drink water and the restroom. This is NO exaggeration! Once I recovered, I searched online for answers and discovered that new people should not consume more than 10mg at a time, then wait an hour or more to see how things go. I then dug in the trash to find the wrapper and discovered this edible had 100mg of THC!!! No fucking wonder!!! I was SO mad... but what could I do? Live and learn.

Then last year, after reading so many good things about edibles, I decided to make my own. And BOY am I happy I did! This is an absolutely WONDERFUL way to consume cannabis. The effects are much deeper and much more focused on your entire body, and not just your head. Pain? What pain? I feel sooo great when I eat edibles. And it stays with you for sooo much longer too. My fave is to make oatmeal raisin cookies using the recipe on the Quaker Oats lid. All I do is infuse the butter with my ground up buds, no other changes.

I hope this sheds some light on things for you... :smokin:

P.S. What did you mean by "pills"?
The places by me don't have gummi bears or any edibles, but they sell MM in pill form in a bottle. They look like capsules.

WOW!! I didn't expect to get such a welcome, but thank you all!!

I live In Pennsylvania (I feel fine saying where I live now), so medical marijuana is legal. Regular isn't...yet. As far as growing, I'd rather not. Not now anyway. I have an appointment for one dispensary this coming Friday (6/4). There are only 3 places in my county I can go to. I will have to look at all the replies. I shouldn't have too much trouble as the pharmacists there seem knowledgable.
You are quite welcome. I think that, for many of us (myself included) the fact that you're just starting out with this fabulous herb, is what has garnished such a warm welcome from us.

While the people at your local dispensary can be knowledgable, it certainly helps for you to do your own research and bring whatever knowledge you can to the experience. It will be interesting to see what you end up getting.
The places by me don't have gummi bears or any edibles, but they sell MM in pill form in a bottle. They look like capsules.
If you want my advice, try the buds first, and leave those "pills" for someone else. I also recommend you getting a dry pipe and a water bong. These are so much easier than trying to learn how to roll your own joints when you're first starting out. Also, whenever the time is right for you, look into getting something called the PerfectPipe®. They are one of our sponsors. Here's a link to a review someone did here at 420 Mag. I've got one of these and they really are everything that people are saying about it. @PerfectPipe

Hope this helps... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom