Finally Got My MM Card: Newbie

GWB1975

420 Member
Hello all,
After years of dealing with pain and also taking opioid pain relievers, I was approved for a Medical Mariajuana card earlier this week. I'm excited, but nervous about coming off the pills (pain/withdrawals). I so can't wait to visit the dispensary and see what goodies they have. I am currently dealing with terrible neuropathy in both legs/feet, arthritis in my neck, bad back, etc. I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (form of Muscular Dystrophy). I also have major anxiety problems and am clinically depressed, although I feel happy right now lol

Hope I get some good info here and maybe make some new friends :) I do have a couple questions. Can MM make you high or give you a relaxing buzz while helping conquer the pain at the same time? What strains are good for the type of problems I have?

Thank you in advance.

Hello all,
After years of dealing with pain and also taking opioid pain relievers, I was approved for a Medical Mariajuana card earlier this week. I'm excited, but nervous about coming off the pills (pain/withdrawals). I so can't wait to visit the dispensary and see what goodies they have. I am currently dealing with terrible neuropathy in both legs/feet, arthritis in my neck, bad back, etc. I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (form of Muscular Dystrophy). I also have major anxiety problems and am clinically depressed, although I feel happy right now lol

Hope I get some good info here and maybe make some new friends :) I do have a couple questions. Can MM make you high or give you a relaxing buzz while helping conquer the pain at the same time? What strains are good for the type of problems I have?

Thank you in advance.
:welcome:A whole new world is about to open up to you my friend. Not sure where you are from, and please don't say, but Mary Jane will be you new best friend. It should help with a lot that ails you. Ween of the pills slowly. and go easy on the pot until you work up a tolerance. Not to sure about the dispensary, but sure worth learning to grow if legal and also if not, but you didn't hear that from me. :lot-o-toke:

:welcome:A whole new world is about to open up to you my friend. Not sure where you are from, and please don't say, but Mary Jane will be you new best friend. It should help with a lot that ails you. Ween of the pills slowly. and go easy on the pot until you work up a tolerance. Not to sure about the dispensary, but sure worth learning to grow if legal and also if not, but you didn't hear that from me. :lot-o-toke:
Thank you for the welcome :)

I won't say the state, but medicinal is legal (recreational hopefully this year). I have been on Oxy/MS Contin for years. And the plethora of depression/anxiety pills is insane. My PCP said he would have written a letter saying I would benefit from going on MM, but I didn't need it. And the doctor who evaluated me looked at my laundry list of pills and said I was over-qualified.

I won't lie and say I am sort of hoping to get at least a little high while the pain is held off. Is it wrong to even ask that at the dispensary?

Hell yea, bonus . Start your research lots of good info on here and lots of great people to help out. I use Cbd that i Grow, it is a god send toward helping with arthur ittis. Gotta be careful with the anxiety as some strains c.ould be a bit much to start out, again read, read , read. Questions anytime.

Hello all,

Thank you in advance.
If you want to find exactly what you want then look up "Cannabis Terpene Profiles". Then you'll know which Terpenes you want in it & do a search for Cannabis Strains with the Terpenes you like. Different Strains have different Terpenes that cause different effects.

Thank you for the welcome :)

I won't say the state, but medicinal is legal (recreational hopefully this year). I have been on Oxy/MS Contin for years. And the plethora of depression/anxiety pills is insane. My PCP said he would have written a letter saying I would benefit from going on MM, but I didn't need it. And the doctor who evaluated me looked at my laundry list of pills and said I was over-qualified.

I won't lie and say I am sort of hoping to get at least a little high while the pain is held off. Is it wrong to even ask that at the dispensary?
I go in & ask what the strongest stuff they have is that will rock my world. No need to beat around the bush. They don't care.

Hello all,

Thank you in advance.
Hey, glad you have your card. Where I’m from it would have been a waste of time for me to get one because what the medical legal limit for here is wouldn’t get my goldfish high let alone me. I was getting mine off the street and then I did my first grow this year and found I grow it better than what I was getting off the street and for a heck of a lot cheaper. I grew Northern lights and gorilla glue. I use the northern lights for sleep at night and the gorilla glue for the pain and anxiety during the day. Those are heavy hitters but I have a high tolerance to things. I used to be addicted to pain pills and sleeping pills and lets not get me started about the antidepressants I have tryed through the years and now I take none of those medicines anymore!

Yay! Welcome! There's a scary amount of people on here that have experience with everything you listed. Can you grow in your state? Let us teach you!

I recommend reading mmj dispensary reviews online and looking for places with bud tenders that have some form of training. Not sure how common that is where you are.

If you can grow your own you're gonna save butt tons of money and get way better bud in the long run. You can get some suggestions from people here....do your own research...buy a couple seeds, grow a few strains...figure out what you like. The growing itself has been a huge part of my own therapy and recovery.

I personally use the following:

Gelat.OG for depression
Blueberry anything for anxiety
Critical Sour Diesel CBD for insomnia and pain (while this is only a 10%/10% strain it's real easy to take too much and wake up with a hangover)

Also be warned your first few highs are not what it's gonna be like forever. I stayed away from cannabis for a long time because I had some really couchlocked lazy highs back in my younger years. I liked speedy drugs so I never got into the ganja. After an incredible depression a couple years ago I started growing and using and again the high was an all or nothing affair. One or two hits and I was getting my brain tossed about by timewarps and the bloated body thing. I guess my receptors finally woke up and started handling the cannabinoids and boom: happy peppy bliss.

Ugh! You're gonna love it. It just feels better. I don't ever feel ravaged by weed. I don't feel trapped with it. It doesn't make me feel guilty. :cheer::green_heart::tommy: So happy you get to have it now, too

Hello all,

Thank you in advance.
Hey welcome, I have a similar story and I was hooked on pills for years and it became an addiction. Well after getting my medical card my life changed. It literally saved my life. I just started growing and this site has some great info.

The dispensary by me sells an indica call Papa Legba and it’s one of my favorites. But for pain I usually stick to an indica or hybrid(for during the day).

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask here!

Doesn't seem like I can get a straight answer on whether it can get you high or not.
Ok I can hopefully answer you. Yes!! If you get anything with say 18% or so THC in it you will get high. That being said you have to find out how much you need to smoke to get there. Everyone tolerance is different. When I first started smoking I was complaining because I felt it didn’t really work for me but I just needed a higher dose was all. Smoke a bowl (i use a dry herb vape) and wait 20 minutes and if your not where you want then smoke some more. Its all about the dose my friend

Ok I can hopefully answer you. Yes!! If you get anything with say 18% or so THC in it you will get high. That being said you have to find out how much you need to smoke to get there. Everyone tolerance is different. When I first started smoking I was complaining because I felt it didn’t really work for me but I just needed a higher dose was all. Smoke a bowl (i use a dry herb vape) and wait 20 minutes and if your not where you want then smoke some more. Its all about the dose my friend
I can 1/2 agree with you. THC content is important. But not as important as getting the right weed with the correct Terpenes for the effect you want. Some weed I smoke with friends & they say they're wasted while I'm still waiting for it to take effect. Then I smoke a different kind with friends & some of us get high & some don't. If it doesn't have the correct Terpenes for the high you're after you will not be satisfied. A strain that has 15% THC & the Terpenes you like will get you higher than a strain with 22% THC & Terpenes you don't like. Now find a strain with the Terpenes you like with a High THC content & you'll be in heaven.

I can 1/2 agree with you. THC content is important. But not as important as getting the right weed with the correct Terpenes for the effect you want. Some weed I smoke with friends & they say they're wasted while I'm still waiting for it to take effect. Then I smoke a different kind with friends & some of us get high & some don't. If it doesn't have the correct Terpenes for the high you're after you will not be satisfied. A strain that has 15% THC & the Terpenes you like will get you higher than a strain with 22% THC & Terpenes you don't like. Now find a strain with the Terpenes you like with a High THC content & you'll be in heaven.
I am going to have to write some of this stuff down. Right now I am more concerned with whatever helps with the pain over anxiety/depression problems. That is on the back burner for now. I pray the people at the dispenser know their stuff. The place I want to go to has gotten great reviews, so we will see.

Is there much of a difference between dry herbs, vapes and (say) edibles? Looks like this place only has pills.

I am going to have to write some of this stuff down. Right now I am more concerned with whatever helps with the pain over anxiety/depression problems. That is on the back burner for now. I pray the people at the dispenser know their stuff. The place I want to go to has gotten great reviews, so we will see.

Is there much of a difference between dry herbs, vapes and (say) edibles? Looks like this place only has pills.
Edibles will last longer

14) terpine effects.jpg

Hello all,

Thank you in advance.
Hello @GWB1975 welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
Your life will improve from here on in.
Pot will make everything so much better.
Getting off the pharmaceutical train will make your life more enjoyable again.
Hope everything works out well for you.
If you decide to grow we can help.
Stay safe.
Bill

Hello all,

Thank you in advance.
Welcome @GWB1975 , you've come to the right place. I also have a Medical Marijuana ID Card (MMIC) and I renew it each and every year. If I may clarify something... MM is simply a medical approval to use Marijuana. In a widely generalized sense, if there's THC in it, you will get high. Like a great many others, I have found MM to be the best medicine that Mother Earth has ever come up with. Period. I have found that MM helps my body, rather than tear it down. Plus, none of the "scary side-effects" that pharmaceuticals bring to the table.
Hell yea, bonus . Start your research lots of good info on here and lots of great people to help out. I use Cbd that i Grow, it is a god send toward helping with arthur ittis. Gotta be careful with the anxiety as some strains c.ould be a bit much to start out, again read, read , read. Questions anytime.
Like @bluenoserjoe , I advise you to seek out strains that have CBD in them. Many of us swear by these strains for pain relief and the calming effects to the body. One of my favorite strains is CBDutch Treat. While it's surprisingly low in THC (4%) it has a strong calming effect on my body because of the higher amount of CBD (8%). This combination REALLY works for me. And yes, I do get quite high on this strain!
If you want to find exactly what you want then look up "Cannabis Terpene Profiles". Then you'll know which Terpenes you want in it & do a search for Cannabis Strains with the Terpenes you like. Different Strains have different Terpenes that cause different effects.
You are well advised to listen to people like @Buds Buddy . Terpenes and the dizzying number of cannabinoids in marijuana is what brings us what our bodies are begging for to help heal what can be healed and help manage what cannot be healed. Personally, I have found that higher CBD levels and lower THC levels work for me. I also alternate with other strains that are the opposite (i.e. higher THC levels & lower CBD levels).
@Buds Buddy here is illustrating a very good point that I often make to people that I meet face to face. You have to simply try a lot of different strains to discover what works the best for "you". I tried 8 or 9 different dispensaries before I figured out that they just aren't offering what my body needed. This is one of the reasons why I started growing my own medicine. In the area that I live, most dispensary customers just want to get stoned. Don't get me wrong, I "LOVE" getting as high as a kite. Just not ever minute of every day. I do need my MM each and every day though. This is where the strains with high levels of CBD come in. One in particular is a strain called Blue Berry CBD. Because it has less than 1% THC and 16% CBD, I can do the work that I need to do around the house and yard, and even a few handy man jobs here and there for other people, and I'm completely sober and can drive my car without any worries. Then, later in the day I turn to something that has more THC.

I'm not trying to overwhelm you here... just trying to give you some insight from someone who had to figure all this out by myself. You have good people here, willing to help you on your journey. Enjoy yourself and have some fun.

You have a beautiful journey ahead of you, enjoy the ride... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom