First Ever DWC PC Grow Journal

mj0521

Hey yall so this will be my journal for my first PC Grow box i built below i have materials listed

I will be doing DWC (My first attempt) So comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated

Right now i have 2 Eco Smart CFL lights 26 Watts 6500k running its running about 80.6 Degrees right now. Im going to be running the light cycle for 18/4 starting tomorrow, then 12/12.

Tomorrow im going to pick up the Clone. This time i have the General Organics Go Box, I will be following the Feeding Schedule right off the bat. I've Ordered a Hanna tri Meter for PPM/PH etc. When i have all 4 CFLS in that have the 6500 Spectrum 26 watts the PC gets to the upper 90's. Could it be because the grow is in my closet and needs space for the fans to breath? I have ordered a Eco plus hygrometer. The only thing i will be waiting on is the PH/PPM tri meter. For now ill use the ph up and down kit and follow instructions. I have 2 res's ready to go so when i switch the nutes out and flush i can have another one ready to go. Just transfer into the new res and have the other res cleaned for the next flush. Any comments would be lovely'

Thanks
photo_copy4.jpg

First Ever DWC PC Grow (Journal)

Hey yall so this will be my journal for my first PC Grow box i built below i have materials listed

I will be doing DWC (My first attempt) So comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated

Right now i have 2 Eco Smart CFL lights 26 Watts 6500k running its running about 80.6 Degrees right now. Im going to be running the light cycle for 18/4 starting tomorrow, then 12/12.
photo_copy4.jpg

Tomorrow im going to pick up the Clone. This time i have the General Organics Go Box, I will be following the Feeding Schedule right off the bat. I've Ordered a Hanna tri Meter for PPM/PH etc. When i have all 4 CFLS in that have the 6500 Spectrum 26 watts the PC gets to the upper 90's. Could it be because the grow is in my closet and needs space for the fans to breath? I have ordered a Eco plus hygrometer. The only thing i will be waiting on is the PH/PPM tri meter. For now ill use the ph up and down kit and follow instructions. I have 2 res's ready to go so when i switch the nutes out and flush i can have another one ready to go. Just transfer into the new res and have the other res cleaned for the next flush. Any comments would be lovely'

Thanks

First Ever DWC PC Grow (Journal)

photo_copy4.jpg

Thanks

Re: First Ever DWC PC Grow (Journal)

Hey mj cool little setup you have there! A couple things I would recommend would be a thermometer to monitor res temps and a way to possibly move the light up and down. Your res temps are going to run high and it may cause you problems. I would use a root conditioner or cool the res somehow. Also it will be good to have the light close to them at all times so they stretch as little as possible.

Hey mj cool little setup you have there! A couple things I would recommend would be a thermometer to monitor res temps and a way to possibly move the light up and down. Your res temps are going to run high and it may cause you problems. I would use a root conditioner or cool the res somehow. Also it will be good to have the light close to them at all times so they stretch as little as possible.

Just want to pick you brain a little more. I know they sell things that you can put on an aquarium, almost like a temp sticker. Are you saying the same thing. Also I'm gonna be getting 3 week clones I believe. So will it be optimal to have it close to the light for the first week of veg? I could get a little splitter to lower the light. Thoughts?

What root conditioner do you suggest. I believe the go box be general organics comes with one or I could be wrong. I ended up with only 2 cfls at 26 watts and the temp is about 80.1 when I take it out of the closet it drops to 75-77.

Also what are your thoughts on tin foiling whole res (container, lid) for blacking out light for roots? I was thinking hot glue, pressed with tin foil. This could help with temps too possibly?

Just want to pick you brain a little more. I know they sell things that you can put on an aquarium, almost like a temp sticker. Are you saying the same thing. Also I'm gonna be getting 3 week clones I believe. So will it be optimal to have it close to the light for the first week of veg? I could get a little splitter to lower the light. Thoughts?

What root conditioner do you suggest. I believe the go box be general organics comes with one or I could be wrong. I ended up with only 2 cfls at 26 watts and the temp is about 80.1 when I take it out of the closet it drops to 75-77.

Also what are your thoughts on tin foiling whole res (container, lid) for blacking out light for roots? I was thinking hot glue, pressed with tin foil. This could help with temps too possibly?

they have digital temomitors that you can have a wire hung in water and a display outside of res, also when puting plants in becarful because the roots need to be cleaned of all soil unless they came from a DWC system which u might have to trim the roots for transplant, all depends. for temp you should be good with 80-75 just make sure you have the air flow you need in the pc, thats the hardest part.

The ecoplus hygro thermometer I believe has the option to have something hang in the water. I've read people stating that you need 4 lights. When 4 lights are on the temp is in 90s I have 3 fans going 2 intake 1 out. Is that enough? Also I'm getting the go box by general organics to use. Would you say start on week 3 mix feeding schedule today? Also when would you say to induce nutrients in again after feeding today? Thanks again for all the help

i would have 2 outtakes and 1 intake instead if your having heat issues, and if you just fed, next time you see plant dirt is dry when u stick finger in to your first knuckel. then once they dry up again you can feed again, you will get a better schedual, timing down, sometimes i feed back to back but i can tell when my plants are ready for food or water because i have been growing them for a while now, you will learn how they act before and after a feed and know when they are ready.

Hey guys,

So im heading to the club in a little to pick her up. I have a nice OG waiting for me named Cinderella (Strand). Below i have the completed grow box with the res, inside of another bucket giving maximum growth. Also my nutes came in the Go Box from General Organics also known as General Hydroponics. I have a Simple Ph, UP and Down kit, and Bought the Thermostat that does reading in water as well. I wanted to know if i was supposed to add water first to the res. and then do a ph up and down, or add water nutes, then check ph levels. Also when I put her in do i put the rockwell cube all the way at the bottom, or do i just put it on top of some of the hydroton. Thanks guys for all the help. Also i was recommended sweet when i picked the nutes up. Anyone have thoughts on that? This is my first grow before i go for the real thing. I want to make a few mistakes first, so im a n00b!! sorry guys.

MJ

photo370.JPG

photo_copy_7.JPG

One more thing. The Nutes. I was told to give it half of the actual feeding and start from Week 1. which states BG 5ml CAMag 5ml bioweed 2.5-5 ml bio marine 5-10ml diamond black 5-10ml. So for week 1 I would then put in BG 2.5 ml CAMag 2.5 ml bioweed 1.25-2.5 ml bio marine 2.5-5ml diamond black 2.5-5ml. Also if you guys think sweet is good or have any other suggestions let me know and ill go pick some up. Also how often do i give nutes just a week by week basis? Thanks again!

Hey mj. With the nutes you want to mix everything then adjust the ph. With a dwc setup its ideal to do a reservoir change every 7-10 days at which time you give them more nutes. As far as what you should give them when you get them(already being 3 weeks old) I would ask the person you get them from and see what they have been giving them and go from there. Are they coming form a dirt or hydro setup? Dutch master zone is a good root conditioner to use. Also anything you can wrap the res with will help the temps. Ive personally never used a conditioner and keep my res cool by adding ice bottles, also my res is a ice chest. With your light you're going to need to grab some 2700k cfls for when you switch them to flower too. Which shouldn't be to far away if they are 3 weeks old.

Got the 2700k cfls. I will ask the club If they are from dirt or hydro that will be tough to see what nutes have been induced. If root conditioner is not available. Currently I am only able to have 2 26 watts going at once and the temps are at 80.6. Have any thoughts on sweet by botanicare? Also when transplanting do I stick at the bottom of net pot? Or a little hydroton then ontop of that? Thanks again!

If you're not sure on the nutes I would start them off at like 1/2 or 2/3 strength of the recommended dose for that age. When transplanting I would put 1 layer of hydroton in the bottom regardless if they come from dirt or if its a rockwool cube just to give the roots a little something to grab onto. Not sure about the botanicare stuff. Also I was curious why you chose to grow in a pc case, and when they start to smell is that going to be an issue?

This setup ran for about 10 days before the res temps caused problems(no ice or conditioner was used)

Day_8_1-28.jpg

Rdooski,

Thanks for reply and information. Im gonna go with half the recommendation of nutes. Question i have is your lights are so low it seems to the res. Is there a reason for this? Also as far as odor control, i have purchased the ona odor gel. Still waiting on my PH, PPM meter. The reason for the small grow is for stealth right now and learning. Any other recommendations besides sweet

Cool I heard ona gel works good:) With the lights when you are using cfl's you want the light 3-4 inches away if you can while still maintaining proper temps. This will get as much of the light possible into the plants and minimize stretch. Notice how the plants in the pics didnt really stretch at all and all the side branches get to the light quickly.

Here is some more pics from a previous grow.

IMAG002514.jpg
IMAG012813.jpg

Cool I heard ona gel works good:) With the lights when you are using cfl's you want the light 3-4 inches away if you can while still maintaining proper temps. This will get as much of the light possible into the plants and minimize stretch. Notice how the plants in the pics didnt really stretch at all and all the side branches get to the light quickly.

Here is some more pics from a previous grow.

IMAG002514.jpg
IMAG012813.jpg

Beautiful! Is that a Feliz light? How is the grown on that. Also the reason behind my small grow is cause the next grow I'm doing is in a LED phototron with the same concept. The phototron is 5 and half feet tall. So I will be installing a 5 gallon or 3 gallon res underneath and cutting a hole in the bottom. Giving plant maximum growing space.

Thanks! It wasnt a feliz but similar, I believe it was called "sun god komee". Shortly after that last pic they went into flower with hps lighting. The reason I asked was because with something as small as a pc case and using dwc you would kind of need to start a seedling and 12/12 it from the start to keep it small as possible and be able to finish it in the case. I would definitely go ahead and 12/12 the clone as soon as you get it.

Any times where a plant could outgrow its area? I was gonna use Pinch techniques and scrog

Hey guys,

So I'm picking up the baby today. Gonna mix nutes in half strength of recommended amount. Then go ahead and transplant her. I don't have my ph meter yet so I'll be using the ph up and down system. I'll be posting pics of nutes selected amounts listed, and guesstimated levels. Thanks again for all the help so far!

Pics coming soon guys! So I filled the res about half way roughly an inch from the bottom of the net pot. I added the nutrients, but only half of the recommended dose, she's 2 weeks strong, and came from soil, so the transplant to DWC I think will shock a little bit! It's a beautiful baby, but no tag came with her, so we will just need to see as she comes out! Anyways pics to come soon and tomorrow I will put a temp meter on the res. I was told the res needs to be around 65 degrees. Guys give me input on that!

Back
Top Bottom