First Grow: 4Bucket Hydro With Barney's Lucy

Plant #1 is now 5 weeks old, and every time I look at it it has noticeably grown since the prior. I have noticed some spots of the plant that appear to be beginning to show a sex, though I am not yet sure which sex... I have taken a picture of it as best I can, it is not yet a white hair or a sac, but maybe you can early identify it, I can barely even see it in the picture, I will get a better one later. I also have a question about trimming, I am not sure when or where I should take off shade leaves, you will see in the pictures it is getting pretty crowded underneath. It is now 9.5" tall, when it hits 12" I am going to switch to 12/12 for all 3 and we will know for sure. Plant #2 is starting to look a lot stronger, I think it is loving the nutrients, I gave all 3 plants their first full dose nutrients last week, I think it has responded well. Plant #3 is still kind of just doing its' thing, growing steadily, just looking odd.

The DWC had another problem that seemed to resolve itself, there was a somewhat alarming amount of water on the floor of the tent and after searching for a source (while racing the clock on their nighttime, I switched it to 11am-5pm in order to avoid having the lights on during the heat of the day) I came up with nothing, but I did remove the humidifier. When the lights came back on, the water had mostly dried, and there was no evidence of a leak. So it seems to be ok...
The plants look great, they are not yet rooted through the netty pots but the bubbles are reaching the clay and the roots are getting down there. I updated the ventilation and it is 10x better, the tent is staying at an average of 86 degrees. Now for the pictures!

Plant #1

IMG_173811.jpg

IMG_173911.jpg

Sex? so hard to see.
IMG_17429.JPG

Plant #2

IMG_174611.jpg

IMG_174712.jpg

Under the Tree
IMG_17497.JPG

Plant #3

IMG_17439.jpg

IMG_17447.jpg

Barney's Lucy 2.5 Weeks

IMG_17527.JPG

IMG_17538.JPG

Green Love Potion 6 Days

IMG_17456.jpg

Your plants look like there off to a great start.:goodjob:COLORADICAL check out kingjohnsc site he got for you on inline fans.Ii will make such a difference in your plants.They will LOVE you for it and there affordable most of all.Keep up the good work my MILE HIGH buddy.:high-five:

the photograph you posted does not have enough detail to judge yet. i would avoid leaving water droplets on your small cannabis plants, it may burn the leaves. i would defoliate your plants one week prior to switching to 12/12 flowering by removing the lower fan leaves and any leaves that block bud sites.

here are male and female cannabis plants

Male_Female_Cannabis_Plants.jpg

So I haven't posted an update because not too much has really changed! Everything is just growing healthily, which is interesting to me beyond belief but I have tried to spare the rest of you. Plant #1 is approaching 10.5" in height, the apical meristem is bunched up with a bunch of new shade leaves, the axial stems are filling up the interior of the plant more and more, and the nodes are starting to show more easily the sex organs of the plant (which I took a much better pic of thankfully). Plants #2 and #3 are at about 8" in height and starting to branch out a lot more in the interior. Plant #2 has been my rock, it is the least picky of the three for demand of water, nutrients, and care. When I got home from work today I came home to find Plant #1 very wilted and a few of the lowest small leaves had shriveled up, the soil was bone dry which was shocking because I gave it plenty right before I left to start my day. I guess it is just a little more thirsty. I gave it some water and within 15 minutes it perked right up to its' usual gorgeous green self.

The Barney's Lucy saplings and Samsara Green Love Potion (GLP) are doing well too. The roots for Lucy #1 have broken down into the solution dipping out of the netty pot! They are very white and branching out nicely. You will see in the pictures Lucy #1 is wasting no time. The GLP may actually be the most impressive however, it is only 11 days old and it has nearly caught up with Lucy plants #2 and #3. No plant other than Lucy #1 has rooted through the netty pots. Temps have been hot here without any let up making the tent a little warmer than I would like during daylight, it's so dry the humidity is always at 0%. I have not noticed any problems from the temps or the lack of humidity, just some healthy looking babies :love:

Plant #1

IMG_176210.jpg

Plant #1 Early Showing Sex (no flash and flash)

IMG_17647.jpg
IMG_176510.jpg

Plant #2

IMG_176011.jpg

Plant #3

IMG_17618.jpg

Lucy #1

IMG_177110.jpg

Lucy #2

IMG_17709.jpg

Lucy #3

IMG_17689.jpg

Green Love Potion - day 11

IMG_176912.jpg

I have transplanted the three original plants, their roots had reached the bottoms of their previous homes and the roots look extremely healthy. They have all handled the transplant like champs! I think this will be their last home until flower. I'm debating when to put the plants into flower, but currently the date is set for July 7th giving me two more weeks of veg bringing the total veg time to 8 weeks (today marks Plant #1's 6 week birthday). I have been looking everywhere for mylar fire blankets and I have come up with nothing so far, I want to build a flower room for these three at another location where they can have more space. Dollar stores have not had any.

Lucy #2 has now dropped its' root into the mixture, I could tell before even lifting the netty pot that it had reached by the quick spurt of growth it had suddenly undergone. Lucy #3 is still looking a little stunted in comparison to the other 3 plants. GLP is growing very very strongly, I don't expect to see it root for a few days yet. I have very high hopes for the DWC to produce an impressive crop ;)

I think Plant #1 is a girl!

:circle-of-love:

I have taken a picture of one of the regions that I believe to be sprouting white hairs, though it is happening at many other nodes. I am also going to put up a photo of the root system of plant #1, I took it during the last transplant but forgot to upload, and also some updated pics of the interior stems.

White Hairs

IMG_179713.jpg

Root System Plant #1

IMG_17747.jpg

Interior Stems Plant #1 Week 6

IMG_178612.jpg

Closet Grow pic Week 6

IMG_179411.jpg

Thanks TM! I have two branches tied down, they were really low and couldn't get light, so I pulled them horizontal, they responded and have grown but nothing too notable. I am kind of afraid to tweak anything though (exception being some of the lower fan leaves), I should top it and now is the time, two more weeks of veg would let it heal and grow before 12/12.. I just don't want to mess it up! Any advice on it? I think I will start lst with a future grow, I just need to get some good looking buds from a first grow and then move on to the more advanced techniques, there is still so much time to go until these girls are ready! Though I do see the benefit of lst right away, it is just one thing I can do without until I get a grip on this science.

Hey bro, I was nervous as all get out the first few tops and even more on the first FIM's, of which I hosed one and just ended up topping. Either way though, they all did fine and after a few days (without superthrive or vitamin b) they were growing again, just fine and the side branches accelerated growth. Same with the FIM. I will tell you though on FIM, if you don't get it "just right", you end up with a few short and ugly fan leaves, but everything seems to do just fine. My biggest problem seemed to be my PH testing solution being slightly off, damn colors never match all that well, lol.

I'd do it now, let them recover before flower, but that's just gut instinct there chased with a little logic "if you shock them a bit before flower, they have time to recoved, get stronger and then flower harder", but that seems to be hotly debated. There was an article a while back about plants, especially hydro plants, but plants in general, producing better quality and better tasting fruits when given certain amounts of stress, since they'd have stress in nature and we put them into environments that are very low or fully stress free. That article got me thinking about cannabis. We baby it a LOT, which makes sense cause we want it to thrive. But in it's natural environments, even at the best times, it has more stresses (stronger winds, bigger temp and humidity changes, rain, animals, bugs. etc), even when in a protected outside grow. Even greenhouses tend to get more humidity and temp shifts and gods, those plants look intense and the few I've smoked from that I knew came from a hothouse, all had a richer flavor and more of a kick. So I don't think a little stress is a bad thing to start with, just not constant stress.

Ok, enough rambling. They are looking good and you're taking care of them, so don't let it stress you too much. Remember, we do this not just for cheaper meds/usage/whatever, but because we love the plant... and we keep doing it (hopefully) because we find we enjoy nurturing the plant. So, enjoy and be careful and nurturing, but don't forget the "enjoy it" part that keeps it from being "just one more damned thing I need to worry about or do" or "a drag" or "another thing to stress about" or whatnot. Keep it fun, you're doin good so far :)

Off to medicate a bit :smokin:

Just medicated! :smokin: as it happens, I currently possess the same strain as plants #1,#2, and #3. I wasn't sure if I would see it again until after MY grow finished as it was a local grower's strain and I am not familiar with the grower him/herself. If it turns out anything like this I will be beyond stoked haha :) head high, smooth smoke, euphoric, and a little spacey! Couldn't ask for anything else right now! (my Friday at work)

Runewulf I never once thought of that as a ramble! I appreciate the first hand take on it. There is no better way to learn something than by learning it from someone who has actually done it! I have watched a couple videos on topping, with care it should not be difficult! I can tell you what though, through all this work that I have done and stress it gives me keeping their health, I am infinitely happy doing it. I catch myself with a smile on my face when I am working on the plants it seems every time. Nothing but happiness here :Namaste:

The Lucy #1 roots in the dwc are really branching out, they must be 4-5" deep into the solution and well branched. Lucy #2 is also showing impressive root growth into the solution. No root tips dipping in yet from the GLP or Lucy #3. I have pictures of everything I just have to upload them, a task for tomorrow haha. Also included in a task for tomorrow is cleaning the buckets out and new nutes.
Plant #1 is getting close to 12" tall which I think is where I will top it and Plants #2,#3 will be topped as well. Date still set for July 7th for flowering. I will be out of town all weekend, and this is the first time I am leaving the plants alone for a long period of time, I am thinking for the soil to just give it a heavy watering prior to leaving? The DWC will be fine on its own for 2 days. It is all on timers so the lights are not a concern.
Happy Growing Everyone!

:morenutes:

Appreciate the complement Narg0th! :)

So today I put fresh water and nutes in the DWC and cleaned the whole thing out, it was due and I wanted it done before I left for my trip. The roots and plants all look so healthy! Lucy #3 just dropped a first root into the solution. I upgraded to a 6"cool tube which is a much appreciated addition to the tent, aesthetically pleasing and functional! :) I got a bunch of pictures of everything to give you while I am gone!

Grow Tent with Upgraded Light Cooling System.

IMG_181912.jpg

Lucy #1 - 4 weeks

IMG_181814.jpg

- Roots

IMG_181112.jpg

Lucy #2 - 4 weeks

IMG_181713.jpg

Lucy #3 - 3.75 weeks

IMG_181511.jpg

Green Love Potion - 2.25 weeks

IMG_181610.jpg

Plant #1 - 6.75 weeks

IMG_18069.jpg

IMG_180714.jpg

Thank you and congrats on winning Member of the Month KingJohnC!!! :)

So the closet grow had an interesting weekend with me gone, the light timer must have been bumped when I double checked it (ironically) and set the switch to 24hr vs selected times, so the plants received about 48 hours of straight light, which sucks, because they also grew vertically 2-3" more haha. At the moment Plant #1 is 14" tall, Plant #2 is 13" tall, and Plant #3 is also at 14" tall. So yes topping needs to happen, I should have done it before leaving for the trip! Some of the very bottom leaves of Plant #1 are yellowing but not unhealthily, I think just from lack of light, anyway I am trimming them. Plant #2 and #3 are getting especially purple, the main stems and shade leaves are distinctly purple and the secondary growth is all extremely dark green. They are now 7 weeks old.

The Tent had a far more normal weekend, the growth is looking great! Temps are continually running hot during the peak hours reaching as high as 96ºF, and I can not cool off the entire area the tent is in enough to get it settled. Still looking healthy though... I am thinking of a change in locations to an easier space to temp control, I am working on the logistics. That problem also puts off building a new room for the Plants #1,#2,#3, though either/both that turn out male they will just move to a windowsill clearing some more room.

Plant #1
Canopy

IMG_18745.jpg

Closet Grow Room Week 7 Plants #1,#2,#3

IMG_189510.jpg

Plant #2

IMG_18698.jpg
IMG_18708.jpg
IMG_187110.jpg

Plant #3

IMG_18728.jpg
IMG_18739.jpg