First Grow - First Journal

Poopypal

420-magazine-mobile1031354525.jpg
420-magazine-mobile976183725.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1684839360.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1041650773.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2103334776.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1103680848.jpg

This is my first true attempt even tho I did once inherit a plant a long time ago that ended up getting stolen, I wasn't concerned or thinking much back then so I'm not counting it . Lol.

Seasons greetings and salutations all !

Before you all ask what is wrong with me, and if I am over the age of 13, let me answer those questions for you:

Probably a lot of things and yes I am over the age of 13, 18, 21, 26 and won't go any higher in fear of beginning to feel old. I did create the screename poopypal as a kid, and use it when gaming as well, so if anyone sees me gaming, say what's up!

I've been reading the forum for about a month and decided I should probably start to participate as my grow has started to develop into more than a handful and hopefully I can get advice and wisdom that can help me learn to be a better grower.

I'm a late 20s Longtime toker, and Have been inspired by my states new laws ( MA, aka Gods country ) that allow me to practice growing! I actually have always gardened and maintained vegetable and flower beds routinely. I am no expert, but a seasoned hobbyist at the very least, and prepared to work hard to get the good results.

I am just staring indoor growing and know absolutely nothing until last month when a friend gifted me four clones and two seeds , and I was thrust into the world of growing. I'm super paranoid because when I did try to grow a plant once my place got super robbed , not just the plant and light but like everything I owned at the time. So yeah it's been hard actually mostly dealin with the anxiety of a break in, and also of rising electric bill due to the indoor lights and venting and ac that I felt would all be nesecary to make a decent attempt. I have studied environmental science and sustainability in college and am trying to bring in an efficiency and sustainability geared grow philosophy.

So here goes everything:

4 clones - all fem obviously , 2 cheese (cloned 5/22) and 2 Afghan Kush ( 5/21) . When I first got them ~5/28, I had them just in indirect sunlight and also most likely overwatered them like multiple times the first week. But I had a 50 dollar coupon for eBay and so I bought a Viparspectra 450w ( someone correct me if I shouldn't say what brands I use or something ) full spectrum LED ( person I got the clones from said he used two of these in a 4x4 tent) .

I put it in my closet and surrounded my closet in reflective Mylar , I'd say the closet is close to a 32"x32x5' area. I transplanted the clones to 5 gallon buckets from a big home improvement store, and went to my local indoor gardening store, if allowed I'll shout them out for sure because the place is awesome and I think their staff were super helpful and actually didn't know a childhood family friend was working there and just showed me a super positive vibe on my growing adventure. Anyways,

I planted those 4 in 707 roots organic soil that they sold me on, and I had also bought a hydroponic setup ( a bit over ambitious in hindsight) that came with the flora series from GH so I'm going with those nutes since I already have them even tho probably better for hydro setups was told I can still use them just fine for soil.

So i think I started with just my veg switch on my light at first, and did 18/6 off as well thinking this would be safest and what I read everywhere. All these events happened before or by June 5th, by June 6th everything was in place .

I had also been gifted two auto seeds ( Purple haze {I think}) and decided to plant both of those by June 11th. Mostly incase the clones got messed up, and because I was really bored and have ADD and couldn't help myself. Did them with paper towel method and within 36 hrs both had sprout, thru them in well drained 707 solo cups and put them under a 100w cfl 2700k ( was the wrong spectrum 2700k is for flower right ? Also found really cheap led strip lights and decided to grab those as well.

Anyways growth was slow but only one clone didn't look well ( one AK had like yellow on the leaf, and I think I had heavy water or mineral in the water cuz I saw white buildup that scared me into thinking it was powdery mildew ) my temps did raise to 90+ a couple times for extended amount of time, and humidity was usually barely 30% for the first two weeks , these things suffered lol. But the AK showed like awesome signs of resiliency and really blew up tall. One was 7 inches when I got it and in two weeks was 16 inches and bushy and didn't seem too stretchy . The other AK had worse light and so did the cheese I think, so they kinda lacked and the cheese were small when I got them probably only 4.5/5 inches but even two weeks later were only 7.5/8 inches tall and didn't think that was promising . So I found some more coupons and deals, and stole my girlfriends credit card ( just kidding babe ;-) ) and made some more out of my budget purchases ! Hell ya!

Anyways I found a deal for 2 used HPS/MH hoods ( one was a batwing one a enclosed sun system++) a used 600watt digital dimmable ballast , two new bulbs and one used one, and gifted two more auto seeds, for $100. Seemed like reasonable to me so I did that, and I also won a auction on eBay for a valubox 4x4x7.5 tent for 50$ . Clearly I don't and didn't expect to be getting top gear, but the tent has been awesome so far, and both hoods work, the bulbs work, the ballast has worked for a month now, and the seeds were good, and the tent like really has been a great deal but I could just be trying to blow smoke up my own skirt. I also don't wear skirts , pm for more information ;-) .

So by 6/17 had the Mh 600watt setup in the tent, and moved the three bastard children of my LED heat box closer to the more spacious bed side growtent sleep time sweat box and possible radiation hazard . Still with me ? If anyone has read this far, bless your heart.

So I set that stuff up, AND THEN I went out and found a good deal ( any deal I make has to be good , like Danny Ainge) for some AC units , I got two for 50$ used of course but working from a nice white suburbian family that undervalues due to wealth and possibly kindness. Anyway, I sold one of those for 60$, and then bought and even bigger AC ( 15,000 btu frederich window unit ) my place is only like 1200 sq ft max, so this thing is like super over kill.

So I setup the tent and the closet , and compared results after a couple weeks. The Mh , once I got it figured out and moved it to within about 13inches of the plants tops has worked admirably and they have all shown awesome signs of growth. I sort of ran them pretty much 24/7 tho and didn't give them much of a break. Also because I probably overwatered them and found it was taking like 7daya or more sometimes between watering .

I've been all over the place , but this is a good start, will probably make a journal or something , but just wanted to let you all know what I was working with and trying to do over here, I've certainly had a lot of issues and still will, and I hope there are some active members or are willing to share some wisdom with a new grower . I actually already really appreciate this forum and other forums like it because I wouldn't have gotten this far or have had decent progress so far if I didn't read everything I know basically from these forums. It's an awesome resource , and I think it will only improve as we add information to the system . This isn't just good for weed growing you know, I've been thinkin maybe this is the future of space farming too, and we are all on the front lines of learning how to grow quickly , or efficiently or awesomely , maybe the government wants us to grow, and wants us to learn how to be better stewards of our world and build better sustainable practices for using energy and creating and maintain agriculture . Maybe I'm just high, but always good to have some ambitions as a group, I know this place has been here a long time, I anticipate it has grown and grown over the years and is near the time when it actually begins to really be mainstream, and we are still on the front lines here.

Well, about 14 days removed from my first time cutting potential clones, and I was mildly successful.

Ihave two Afghan Kush and cheese mothers I took cuttings from, in all I tried 7 clones as I was unsure the outcome and wanted to up chance of success . I had purchase a very small packet of clonex gel and diluted it just a little with water and let some rooters soak in them over night before I took the cuttings. I had a humidity dome and a seed warmer that I only used sparingly because temps were sort of high ( 79+degrees) and I tried everything from a full top cutting to just a leaf which was more of a science experiment than being realistic.

Anyway, on like day 5 I pulled one clone out to see if it had roots as a sacrifice along with the leaf, neither of them had growth or roots and one had what I'm pretty sure was root rot...... I waited another 4 days and this time I saw signs for hope . There was new growth and lower leaf yellowing that I took as a good sign. I also pulled another sacrifice that to my dismay definitely had roots lol, but as I took a bunch of clones , I got three solid specimens from the 7 cuttings, and atleast 3 of those cuttings were sacrifices so not a bad ratio for my first time.

I also sent some of my girls into flower about 5 days ago, glad to be saving some on the electricity bill now with the 12/12 cycle. Have seen some good bright new growth , but still waiting for a big Stretch. All the girls were 20+ inches and 5+ weeks in veg, so should be well stocked for a good yield. Time will tell.
420-magazine-mobile1535549272.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1493594521.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1063538734.jpg

Not that anyone is listening, and with all the quality journals , who could blame them, but here is some pictures from day 40ish, I've seen a lot of yellowing, and some nitrogen toxicity I believe , either that my ph is bad or my plants are rootbound . All first time grown mistakes I'm sure, and when I harvest the first one will be able to see how the roots looked and how the bud comes out etc. not expecting much, but also still hoping for a miracle to make me smile yield wise. Electric bill sucked.
420-magazine-mobile1128267601.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2025475088.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1204106382.jpg
420-magazine-mobile268630396.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1634283059.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1235380964.jpg
420-magazine-mobile300335712.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1231735388.jpg

Well, I have two autos running which is what the bud pics are from. I'm thinking about a week or so for one and about 10-14 days for the other. Not really sure and that may be too early , my friend said his autos go 90 days but the breeder says 70-75. Hard to say. As for the fems they have a ways to go still I think, atleast 3/4 more weeks

That's awesome. I'm pretty new to growing still but I saw your journal with no responses and decided to comment since your plants look nice and healthy. Did you have any luck with the clones?

Hey I appreciate someone to talk to about it. My plants are alive, but certainly I'm making mistakes , either ph or nitrogen toxicity or root bound im still not sure . I think whatever it is, it's gonna effect the yield slightly but I felt some colas today that really do feel heavy which and have trichome dusting and still growing and all white pistols which seems promising . I'm glad I'm like 40 days in now too, and hopefully I think I can start to draw back on feedings and start using just water soon. Not sure about this tho if anyone wants to chime in as to the right protocol for this.

Also I'm 40 days from 12/12, but my plants were clones and I think showed sex already, and within 5 days of the 12/12 had true flowers forming, so I feel like I'm really 35 day of flower and giving myself an extra week atleast.

Have you harvested before ? Not sure on my trichs, I think they are all still clear, but my zoom is only 30x so not quite sure I'm getting the full look.

As for cloning my first clones were weak, but they lived and I gave two to a friend, one broke when he dropped it and was brittle, the other is just O.K, but I kept one and it's doing just fine although pretty small, just because I have it under a 60watt cfl I'll take a pic tomorrow for you .

The exciting part too for you , I took new cuttings last week, well 9 days ago, and I checked today and they all had roots absolutely busting out which I was real bonered up about . Will take pics of those as well tomorrow, and can let you know what I think works.

We all make mistakes and always will lol. I've harvested twice now but have grown a few and cloned a few due to the addiction. I've only dealt with bagseed atm but am waiting to pop some seeds that I got from Nirvana. Keep doing what you're doing it seems to be working. I'll be waiting for your pics. Happy growing!

Hey Poppypal
Your plants look pretty healthy i will be following your journal. :)
Looks a little like that one of the have some heat stress look close at the leaves.
IMG_476911.JPG

I would set the temps between 72-75F to see if that helps. :ganjamon:

Good growing :)

Yeah I think I was using a bad setup for a week with not proper airflow and it bleached some leaves . Plus on one I think I overwatered but it's a 3gallon fabric pot and seems to need water every other day .

Moved the light back about 10 inches and setup another fan and hovering around 77-80 with the lights on 69/70 lights off

420-magazine-mobile100721082.jpg

That is clone #1 from around the beginning of July. Gave it no love, no light, not enough water or any nutes and fungus gnats lol. Still living, although I don't have plans for it, I'll send it to flower next cycle for fun.

420-magazine-mobile2098087681.jpg

Cilantro , and an asparagus seedling as well lol.

420-magazine-mobile1358403277.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1473197057.jpg
420-magazine-mobile520595268.jpg

Newer clones from the 6th of august. ( Afghan Kush )

420-magazine-mobile344464055.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1990298392.jpg
420-magazine-mobile859931085.jpg
420-magazine-mobile646636697.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1431337607.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1628374805.jpg
420-magazine-mobile400978664.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2019730327.jpg

Purple haze autoflowers one is day 70 one day 60

Looking just fine I would say. Especially for a first grow. Problems help you learn. On my first grow I learned a lot about what not to do.
those Auto flowers look good, nice and chunky.
Nice job on the newer clones also. 9 days to show Roots is pretty good, my last clone took about 2 1/2 weeks to show Roots.
Looking forward to your harvest pics.
:thumb:

I think the trick was to not look at them at all, I changed the water twice and sprayed a few times but really just didn't pay attention much and gave them less light and never had heat above 79. Used clonex gel this time and opened the vent on day 7 and let them dry out just a little to promote root growth. Also used rooting solution from GH , I use the flora series from GH as I was gifted a free kit from them at a music festival .

Looking just fine I would say. Especially for a first grow. Problems help you learn. On my first grow I learned a lot about what not to do.
those Auto flowers look good, nice and chunky.
Nice job on the newer clones also. 9 days to show Roots is pretty good, my last clone took about 2 1/2 weeks to show Roots.
Looking forward to your harvest pics.
:thumb:

Do you think these autos are about ready, they are sensi seeds purple haze autoflower ( I believe a friend gave them to me, but unable to really find them or info on them) I saw 70-75 days somewhere for them, and so I must be closer then I am far away. My friend did say he lets them go 80-90 days , but when I smoked his bud it wasn't the best although it could have been from how he dried it or something . He doesn't smoke and thus the quality doesn't matter as much to him. I'm trying to get some sticky icky you know . Lemme know if anyone has some guidance on when to possibly harvest

Nice job.
I didn't use any rooting enhancement, and I think it was a little cold. I took the clone from an outdoor plant before my space was completely built inside. That caused a lot of fluctuations with temp and light, that didn't help.
Nice you got there kit for free. That helps narrow down what nutrients to use.

Nice job.
I didn't use any rooting enhancement, and I think it was a little cold. I took the clone from an outdoor plant before my space was completely built inside. That caused a lot of fluctuations with temp and light, that didn't help.
Nice you got there kit for free. That helps narrow down what nutrients to use.

I know right , I'm not sponsored nor am I here to promote them, but I do have to give them major props . They gave me a 30-50$ value pack for free at levitate music festival, and definetly will purchase the general organics line when I'm done with these , which may not be for close to a year im hoping. Big props to them for helping a brother out and giving out free merch to promote their brand, they also sponsored the music festival which also earned them some bonus points in my book.

Also if you goto mammoth nutrients and search free samples, as well as botincare ( sp prob wrong) you can request free samples and can get some free nutrients to try out. May take 2-6 weeks but, I did get mine from them and appreciate free stuff.

Do you think these autos are about ready, they are sensi seeds purple haze autoflower ( I believe a friend gave them to me, but unable to really find them or info on them) I saw 70-75 days somewhere for them, and so I must be closer then I am far away. My friend did say he lets them go 80-90 days , but when I smoked his bud it wasn't the best although it could have been from how he dried it or something . He doesn't smoke and thus the quality doesn't matter as much to him. I'm trying to get some sticky icky you know . Lemme know if anyone has some guidance on when to possibly harvest

I'm by no means an expert on the subject so take my 2cents for what it is.

I feel like it's more of a personal preference.. The longer you wait the more stony, couch lock it sould be. But if you wait to long THC will start degrading past the point where you would want it.
I feel like Purple Haze is a Sativa dominant strain so it's couch lock shouldn't be that strong. More the head high, get stuff done kind of Bud even when you let it go a little long. That said strains can affect different people in different ways.
I have never sampled it or grown it so this is all just general info that could apply to all plants.
The general rule that I have seen is 10%-20% Amber trics and 70%-80% cloudy with a 0-10% clear.
This is where the personal preference comes in, I have seen a lot of people harvest with only cloudy and some people wait till there's more amber. It's more like something you gotta try to know how you like it. If you want a more mellow high I would say let it go a little longer and wait till you have more amber, and if you want a more motivating, get up and move high harvest when the majority is cloudy, I don't know if you get paranoid when you smoke. But if you do more cloudy has a tendency to enhance that trait.

Just like your first grow, your first harvest will be a learning curve to it as well.

I'll probably wait about a week for one of them, which would make it roughly 77 days, I sort of lost track and it could be 4 days older lol. But 11 weeks I'll harvest and know whether it was too soon, and in time to know when to harvest the fems who are about 3 weeks behind atleast unless they mature quicker then the autos in the last weeks

Back
Top Bottom