First Time Grow

BudFrostyleaf

I'm a total noob, been growing for exactly 48 days.
2x600 watts HPS/MH
8x4 tent
CO2 enriched environment
Sunshine Grow Mix 4 with Advanced Nutrients, Sensi Grow, Connoisseur, VooDoo Juice, B-52, Big Bud, Overdrive, per directions on label.

Growing:
Feminized Photoperiod - Silver Surfer Haze, Pineapple Sativa, Kalishnikova, Blue OG
Auto Feminized - Northern Lights, Amnesia, Jack Herer, NYCD, Pineapple Express, Tangelo Rapido
AND some bag seed 12/12 from seed

Ok. This has been a fun little journey, and I'm beginning to see the fruit of my labor, literally (pun intended). However, it has not been without issue.

Issue #1: I'm clumsy. Or perhaps overly excited.
Issue #2: One of my hoods, and ballasts went out.
Issue #3: severed Tangelo Rapido stem at a week old. This has a bit of a story. This is the strain that I started this for, and now I thought that I killed it straight out the gate. She had been growing beautifully. I was watering her when I noticed that she just laid over. I picked her up and tried propping her up with dirt. The next day, same thing but upon further inspection, she had nearly an inch of stem and zero root. Her little stem had become hard and had began to dry up. I quickly took her to some root growth hormone, sliced off another quarter inch of her precious little stem, and dipped her for about 5 seconds. Sure, that she would not make it, she has proven me wrong. Her will for life was too great, and I just transplanted her a second time (gnarly, good-looking roots). All of my other Autos were planted in their final containers to begin with. But, Tangie has required some extra Handling. making me second guess so much information that I have read concerning cloning Autos. I may experiment in the future.

Enough of that story.

Two weeks before I tried to pop my beans, I had the foresight to test my environment variables. My test rats were tomato seeds, peppers, and some flowers. I learned about having lights too close to seedlings :( I learned that I needed to used hose clamps on my air cooled lights instead of just HVAC tape, when I killed everything with 108 degree temps. So I killed many things in those weeks. I learned. I am still learning, but since saving Tangie I have suffered no real loss.

I began with an 18/6 veg schedule with veg nutes an MH lighting at 600 watts. Fought like hell to control my temps, and then decided to dial down to 250 watts on my dimmable digital ballasts, lowered the lights to within 6 inches, and things went wonderfully. Wonderfully with the exception of burning up a 20lb CO2 tank every 7 days.

I am using the Atlas 2, CO2 controller, and the Titan controls regulator. I didn't realize that I would use this much gas to keep my tent perfectly at 1500ppm but turns out that it takes a lot of gas. Where I'm from gas ain't cheap. I had a very tight budget for this project following my initial gearing up, and stopped CO2 enrichment after 3 weeks. Next time I will go longer. Turned out that you can negotiate a contract with gas providers and lower the costs of gas.

So after 30 days and no action on my autos, I decided to force flowering. The veg phase scared me, that with the amount of growth that I'd seen, that if I didn't hurry-up and flower, that I may have a jungle on my hands and run out of room. I had also heard that it was necessary to force flowering on northern lights from Nirvana Auto as it was a true auto.

So, perhaps impatiently, I made the decision to throw everything into flower. So before I do that I take clones. 14 clones, with 100%success. I have a close friend that I am cooperating with, and he currently vegs those. I ended up taking several dozen more, as I had some light leaks (cheap tent). And flowering was slow to start for my photoperiod plants. My autos, automatically flowered and are looking AWESOME. After figuring out the light leak issue, my photoperiods are budding up nicely as well.

All-in-all, this has been WORK. I am thoroughly enjoying this, preparing for my next grow. And, I'll fill you in with more details along the way. So now, I am in full flower, 600 watts HPS, Carbon filter 24/7, cause I got some stinky babies. Lovin' it!

Awesome intro. Your grow set up sounds outstanding. You are not joking about going threw co2. I my self know about that in my Mh/Hps rooms. I wish you the best.

Thanks y'all. Check out my member gallery for photos... Something is goofy with this app, My pic didn't post correct within this thread... I'll get that worked out.

So I had an equipment failure last week. My hood and ballast went out. After a week of a really cramped space, I was able to spread out under the replacement tonight.

On another note, regarding Tangie, when I severed her I tried to pop two more beans, but both seemingly failed. After aborting further attempts at germinating them, I placed one in a pot with fertile soil, Ina lost ditch effort, and low n behold she sprang up. I notice her two inch grow in the corner of the grow room ... It put a smile on my face.

Things are looking SO GOOD. I think I'll be able to harvest my Northern Lights Auto in two to three weeks. I'm going to start using overdrive on her this Sunday and will run that for two weeks, before making a final determination.

Update

I harvested my Northern Lights Auto at day 63 from seed. I listened to the plant and harvested when the trichs were 20% amber. Red hairs out the wazoo. Just over 600 grams of Bud wet, expecting a good 5 ounces.

This girl was forced into flower, even though she's supposed to be an auto, at day 30 from seed. She got fat and stumpy at about 30 inches of dense buds. Following a good flush I took her down, and she filled the air with her piney aroma. I have strung the buds up, and they are in the process of drying in a cool, dry, ventilated area. I am very pleased with my first plant and harvest .

Can't wait until she's ready to smoke. But after all this hard work, it will be well worth the wait for a proper cure.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom