First Grow Questions-SH Bubble w/ DS

flybyshooting

Hey all,
Been reading this forum for a while, at first I was reading on another site but it seems like there was a large Deep Water Culture migration over here and there is a lot more information here on Deep Water Culture and people seem more helpful and friendly.

Anyway, I'm going to be doing a stealth attic grow this summer and I have a few questions

I'm getting the Deep Water Culture Dual Spectrum kit (with the bigger cfls and drainage thing, as well as some regular cfls)
I'm growing Nirvana Snow White (fem) and my goal for the grow is 3 oz+

I only have 20 days from seed to start flowering (then I'm going away for a few weeks)
I have a large reservoir I made that will pump water into the base every night while I'm gone (button dripper w/ pump from res), with some cannazym so i don't get root rot (b/c no res change for 3 weeks) and some nutes proportionate to how much they will need, plus an overflow spigot on the base so it doesn't flood
I'm also going to try everything I can to boost growth during the 2 weeks I'm here (CO2, air baths for the roots, etc)

Here are the Q's
Q1: Should i make the pH in the reservoir higher than 6 so that it balances the pH change while they suck up nutes?
Q2: Should I do 3 plants or 2? If 2 where do I put the 2nd, in opposite corner or in the same row as the first but on the other side
Q3:Is ~16 days enough for veg? Will I be able to get 3 oz from 2/3 plants?
Q4: Anyone have any tips for what i should do while I'm gone? I'm gonna put the lights a little high so they don't burn the bud but its in a mylar tent so it shouldn't be too bad (loss of light-wise)

Thanks a ton :smokin:

Well I have ventilation and its in a mylar tent, but are you saying I shouldn't do it?

Also I'm not harvesting right when I get back
I was under the impression flowering took around 2 months, and I was planning on leaving a few feet between the lamps and the plants

I thought that CFL's were pretty safe in terms of heat too but if the general consensus is not to do it then I won't try
My attic is vented too and I will leave a window open w/ a fan and probably flower at night to keep from overheating

Would a basement grow be safer? It might be harder to do but I can try

I wanted to have the grow finished before I go back to college.
If i start after i get back i only have 6 weeks (as opposed to 12, 3 before vacation and 3 during)
I'm not worried about pump malfunction, I have a basin under it to catch water if it floods and all my electrical stuff(lights, fan, etc) is well above the tanks

If I do do it though, do you have any suggestions/answers to my questions?

There is a lot of daily maintenance that must be done, especially like adjusting the pH daily. pH will bounce daily from 5.5 to 7.0 and need adjusting daily. There are pH adjusting kits available for sale but they are very expensive.
It is not like setting out a tomato plant in your yard, and watering it ocassionally.

Until you can stay with them, I think you are wasting your time.

thanks joe
chances are slim I could get someone
I don't want anyone to come steal my grow so i've only told one person i trust, he lives a few hours away
maybe I could get him to check it once? It's in my attic so I'd need to give him a key
If i keep the res aerated + nuted is there anyway I can balance the pH? perhaps make the reservoir slightly acidic? (4.x)?
Guess I'm gonna get an LED.

Hey all,
Been reading this forum for a while, at first I was reading :rollit: but it seems like there was a large Deep Water Culture migration over here and there is a lot more information here on Deep Water Culture and people seem more helpful and friendly. We are glad to have you here. Welcome

Anyway, I'm going to be doing a stealth attic grow this summer and I have a few questions An attic grow will be hot. I don't know where you live, but my attic hits 100 by 10AM in the summer. I have no idea how hot it gets, but it hotter then I can take.

I'm getting the Deep Water Culture Dual Spectrum kit (with the bigger cfls and drainage thing, as well as some regular cfls)
I'm growing Nirvana Snow White (fem) and my goal for the grow is 3 oz+ Cool choice. I was going to get that one when I was looking at seeds.

I only have 20 days from seed to start flowering (then I'm going away for a few weeks)
I have a large reservoir I made that will pump water into the base every night while I'm gone (button dripper w/ pump from res), with some cannazym so i don't get root rot (b/c no res change for 3 weeks) The zymes might help, but if your res is running at over 72 degrees for any good amount of time, things will get very bad.and some nutes proportionate to how much they will need, Not sure how much you're planning on, but things can change a ton in 4 weeks plus an overflow spigot on the base so it doesn't flood
I'm also going to try everything I can to boost growth during the 2 weeks I'm here (CO2, air baths for the roots, etc)I've never used CO2 so I can't help there. air baths seem to help

Here are the Q's
Q1: Should i make the pH in the reservoir higher than 6 so that it balances the pH change while they suck up nutes?
Can't really say here. You could look for the computer systems that monitor and regulate PH, I don't know what that system is called
Q2: Should I do 3 plants or 2? If 2 where do I put the 2nd, in opposite corner or in the same row as the first but on the other side
If you end up doing the grow, I would say 3, with only 16 days of veg they shouldn't over crowd the system
Q3:Is ~16 days enough for veg? Will I be able to get 3 oz from 2/3 plants?
Not sure. A lot of factors in that, but leaving them for the 3 weeks will not help to get to that number.
Q4: Anyone have any tips for what i should do while I'm gone? I'm gonna put the lights a little high so they don't burn the bud but its in a mylar tent so it shouldn't be too bad (loss of light-wise)All I can suggest is to find forums on people that leave thier grows for long periods of time, maybe the commercial type growers

Thanks a ton :smokin:
Hope that helps.

Yes that helps a ton
I've been looking for grows that have been left for a while and seen some people have success with 2 weeks besides slight burn from plants hitting the lights (which shouldn't affect me if I'm using an LED)
have you seen any posts around?
by the way your grow is looking great besides the nute burn, nice buds

SanibelGreen is running LED's, so you could get some info on them here: SanibelGreen's LED/Bubbletronics Grow (1st)
I haven't seen anything really on leaving the plants for a while I read a grow about leaving them for a week at a time, but it was a while back, so I don't know where that one was. I don't think it was on this site though.
Thanks for checkin my grow and for the compliments. It can be a bit rough sometimes, and I think that is why you're not getting tons of help. Most of us check our plants daily, and only leave them for a day or two at a time. So no real good advise for leaving for long periods. If it was only a week, i think we would have a lot of folks with good suggestions. 3 weeks is just a really long time to not be monitoring the plants in a small grow. I've read stuff about the water turning toxic after 10 or so days, and that's why we need to drain and fill the systems, I'm not sure how bad it gets, and haven't heard of anyone not changing water for for then 14 days, so that could be a factor in this too.
I'm new to growing hydro, Deep Water Culture, etc. but have been growing house plants and gardens for a long time. I think if you went with a soil grow, it might be easier to leave it for 3 weeks, but I can't say for sure. It just seems easier to keep soil plants alive without constant maintenance. Just a thought you might want to consider. From all I read, and have seen, the veg will be pretty bunk at 16 days of soil veg, so that might not be a good plan either. There are a lot of great soil growers here that might have experience with leaving plants for extended amounts of time, like maybe using aqua globes lol.
I don't want to discourage you from using a Deep Water Culture system, I am very happy that I am using one, and I plan on always using one for all of my grows (unless it's an outdoor grow). I just want to throw out some ideas.

Wow, sounds intense man! Doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm 13 days out of germination and I'm around them all the time, and have had countless problems already.... I'll be the first to admit, I didn't do as much planning as I'd have liked, but I'm trying to pull it together. I would love to see you succeed! Good luck, I'll be checking in!

Thanks Joe + Denver
I got the seeds and LED panel, the tools for the reservoir, tent, etc are inc.
I will definitely post a journal with pics
I can't really say the same about planning, I've been reading grow forums like these an hour or two a day for a few weeks haha :reading420magazine:

If it works maybe I will be a pioneer in vacation grows :p
if it doesn't work though I won't be too bummed
at least I can say I tried

This should be an interesting experiment. I wish I could offer some advise but you are going where I've never seen anyone go before. :goodluck:

I'll be watching :popcorn:

Hey guys, started the grow!

First Grow-Nirvana Snow White, Attic XXX

I have a question though (its mentioned in my thread and I'm sure its been answered but...)
I'm growing 3 plants instead of 6 (for space)
Should I use the recommended SH nutrient doses? (1/4 for 6 tiny plants, after a few nodes 1 full for 6 three to four inch plants)
or half that because I'm doing 3?
Because the ppm will be the same regardless of how many plants I have
Thanks to anyone who can answer this

Back
Top Bottom