First Grow - Unknown Variety - Mother

Reetafour

400W HPS- BPN nutes, greenlite soil around original planting mix of unknown material in one gallon pot
brought indoors at 1-2 weeks of flowering
8/26 1st Nute feeding at Bloom rate
8/27 1st day of 12/12 38.5" tall
8/28 repot in greenlite plain water as needed
8/31 nute feeding Bloom rate also 1st day of CO2
9/1 Neemed for spider mites as evidenced in gallery since I can't seem to post two pix in one journal entry
9/3 plain water
9/5 41" high
Had concerns over discoloration and damage to middle of leaf, deemed it to be too close to the light at 18". Pix show the mid leaf crisis.
midleaf_distress.jpg

Re: first grow, unknown variety, mother

Howzit growin' Reetafour...

18" away from a 400w HPS is not the prob, i would think-- i hold both of my 400w MH's in the same room approx. 12"-14" from tops of plants... i use the back of my hand under the light & feel for a comfortable distance-- if its too hot for your hand, same goes for the plant.

to me the plant looks like it goin thru some nute burn-- but the damage to the middle of the leaf has me guessing @ a possible nutrient lockout?! i would flush the pot, wait a day or 2 then introduce the nutes again...

but if you suspect heat is your issue... r u exhausting the light, hows the air circulation, temperature/humidity?

It does resemble some light burn, tho i have seen over dose on N thats done similar??
I have a 600w about 35 cm away from tops, but have a desk fan blowing in between the globe and plants tops.
If its not a heat/light burn issue, well then nute burn is most Def. the prob.. Flush and see if she survives, it sucks when things like this happen to our girls:( Goodluck mate, SMOKEM..

Between my wife's opinion and Jimmycrickets similar opinion, plus the fact that it's only on the top leaves, I chose too close to the light as the cause, I have raised the light. I guess I should take off those bad leaves so that any similarly damaged leaves will show it's not the light. This being my first grow, I'm basically just trying it to see if it will work. So I'm growing the mother in a corner of the cellar, open ceiling above the light and walls only go about 6' high, so I don't think heat accumulation is the problem. Air circulation is aided by a couple of fans at windows to bring and expell air, but since I'm using a yeasy bottle for co2. I don't want to just blow it all away so I run the fans at night when lights are off. temp mid 70's rh mid 60's

your parameters sound good... after raising the light, I'd go w/straight water for couple of days b4 nutes again. But if she isn't showing any signs of shock i'd keep on motoring w/ your nute schedule...

From my own observations (haven't had a light issue) in my (current 1st time) grow-- nutrient issues start@ new growth (top of plant) & if not caught/corrected travels downward affecting lower parts of the plant & I think ( someone let me know)-- deficiencies show more @ the bottom of the plant, & r more uniform across older growth... n move upwards.
All the luck to you in your grow... Aloha!

Thanks Livenburn, do you mean to say that Nute burn starts at new growth at top of plant?

yep... usually the very tips/edges of the new growth will slightly brown/burn @ first, if its stays @ the tips-- not an issue, just a warning that ur approaching nute overload... jus back-off nute strength a little or dilute what you fed them the last time n go from there-- i love the look of a deep rich green color on the leaves... unfortunately-- its also a pretty good sign of nitrogen overload. in flowering-- plants don't need as much nitrogen... & when in doubt FLUSHITOUT & soldier on...

Is there a consensus about flushing with plain water that hasn't been adjusted for ph? My well water is about 7.0-7.2. And what the heck is RO water???

RO=reverse osmosis... well the only adjustment to the water i flush with is from the hose to the pot-- don't get me wrong i pH my nutes for feedings, but when i flush/water its straight out the tap & i let the water run thru the pot till CLEAR.
My tap comes out pH+/-7.0 @103ppm

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom