First Time Closet Grow - July 2009

mtnbiker2288

Hey all. I'm really new to this site, but I joined because I wanted to try and grow and just kinda see what happens. haha Anyways, I don't have a lot of money so I don't have the greatest supplies or the best set up probably, but I tried to do a lot of research and I'm gonna try my best. haha.

So this is what I've got going on. I took a few seeds out of whatever I had and tried to germinate them using the paper towel method and 3 germinated. so i planted the first 2 in Miracle Grow Potting Soil. The 3rd germinated late so i planted it in half perlite half MG Potting Soil because I bought the perlite after the fact. haha. here the info:

Strain: no idea. bagged stuff.

Medium: 2 in just MG potting Soil, 1 in 50% perlite 50% MG potting soil.

Pots: 4" peat pots

Lights: 2- 24" 40 Watt Cool White Flourecents, 1- 23 Watt Warm White Flourecent. and a 24/0 light schedule for veg.

Room Temp: 78-82 degrees F

Ferts: Miracle Grow Tomato Plant Food, 18-18-21 (not being used yet)

I think that's all so far.... ?? haha but i have one sprouted because I planted it first before the other 2 germinated.

here's some pics of the set up and everything:
P7090002.jpg

haha I know its not the best, but its what I've got.

heres a close up
P7090014.jpg

and heres the first one that broke ground!
P7070004.jpg

this is a couple days after she broke ground
P7090017.jpg

Thats all I got for now, but I'm going to try my hardest to keep this thing updated. I also don't have a ph tester yet or a humidity meter yet, but I don't know what kind to buy or anything like that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :thanks:

like the duct tape on the light lololol. Your setup is better than my first grow. i hope there all female. i used white lights on my 1st grow n they work great for the veg period but on the flowerin there useless so try n get a hps(i think) it a must. but apart from that you should be ok. 1 last thing, my soil soil wouldnt dry out coz of my white light not bein strong enought n my plants died, so dont over do it dude.

thanks man, yea the duct tape is just how i had to do it to get the lights to hang straight down. haha. ghetto, i know. but yea i was gonna try and not get a different light because I cant really afford it right now... and yea I was worried about watering them too much... but the top of my soil seems to dry out pretty fast, maybe my humidity is just really low or something? i dont know. thanks though.

hey fuuji, thanks =) and ive heard from people that MG is bad because of the time released nutes.... but they are .21-.07-.14... thats really low considering most people say to use about 20-20-20 nutes. do you know why it could potentially cause problems?

thanks again!

Nice nice bro. I love closet grows for some reason or another. I guess small things are neat like small cars, mopeds, bonsai trees , sexy women and closet grows hehe. I'm planning on doing the closet thing once i get legal , so the few plants i can grow will have to be mini bushes. I'm planning on putting a 1000 watt in a little 3.5 x 3.0 x 10.0 foot closet hehe. The plant space wil only be 2x2 though, so 1000watts in a 4 sq foot area hopefully is worth it hehe. :grinjoint:

I have seen some crazy pics in hightimes where they put a 1000 watt lamp over a single plant and the plant looked heavenly.

hey all, its been a few days and i now have 2 seedlings and 2 seeds that germed and are in peat pots. just waiting for them to break ground! i got a few more pics and everything.... just waiting till they grow up a little bit. =)

the first one
P7120003.jpg

the second one!
P7120002.jpg

isnt she so cute?
P7120005.jpg

and the stats with lights on:
P7120008.jpg

hope u like them. i cant wait for them to grow big and strong!

Everything looks good. The MG soil with time release nutes does not meet the specific needs of cannabis. It is very easy to over nute them as well, because the nutes in the soil are unpredictable. ;-)

your seedlings are looking good man nice colour n every thing. mine are a bit lanky i left them in the dark too long lol. do you know what to look for in finding out if youve got male/female plants

no actually i really have no idea what to look for to tell whether or not its a male/female... ive been doing lots of research, but as you can tell, im a little bit far away from that point. haha.

hey thanks Fuuji and Number1! good info.

okay, well its been about a week and my babies have done a little growing! the first 2 that germinated are growing beautifully, (in my mind, haha) and one other has broke ground and is still just coming up.

heres them together
P7190006.jpg

P7190007.jpg

and heres a few of them by themselves:
P7190001.jpg

the older one =)

P7190003.jpg

the younger one =)

P7190004.jpg

P7190005.jpg

P7190008.jpg

other then them growing, ive started using Miracle Grow Tomato plant food, its N-P-K is 18-18-21, so i figure it should be pretty good for veg stage. I used about a 1/4 strength solution for the past 2 feedings, and I only feed them every third watering. I think thats all for now... other than the fact that im going to step up the nutes to about 1/2 strength sometime around Wednesday probably.

tell me what you guys think! thanks

You really don't need (I don't believe it's recommended either) to use nutes until at least a month after planting, especially with the time released nutes that are already in the soil. But hey if your doing to much your plants will let you know :)

Dfw-guy is right. watch out with the nutes, but you dont have to listen to us lol. your plants/seedlings look nice and healthy. they look like there gonna be nice n bushy

Thanks for the advice dfw- guy and number1! im using a really low potency for the nutes so I didn't know if it would be harmful or not. and figured i'd give it a shot!

and thanks tamemoe for the encouragement! I cant wait to see how u set up your closet and how it works out for you. good luck!

okay... so my girls have been growing pretty good over the past 3 days. they started to get more bushy and havent really grown any taller (which i like!) haha but I do have my first problem. I don't know if its a big one or what... but my oldest plant is looking very droopy and not all perky like the other one.... the only thing I can think of is like pH or something because I don't have a pH tester.. =( but heres some pics anyways!

the one on the left is the droopy one =( and is older by a day or 2
P7220001.jpg

my baby girls!
P7220005.jpg

P7220008.jpg

and heres some singles and the really young one is one that just came up really late.
P7220004.jpg

younger one below:
P7220006.jpg

P7220009.jpg

P7220012.jpg

time for the older one!
P7220010.jpg

she just looks sooooo droopy! =( =(
P7220007.jpg

P7220013.jpg

P7220011.jpg

I'm not sure. maybe its over-watering or under-watering? anyways. today marks 14 days for the oldest and like 12 days for the second! I cant believe its only been 2 weeks. haha I'll post again in a few days.

::edit::
Ps. i dont know how i got this post above number1's or tamemoe's but its not supposed to be. haha

Back
Top Bottom