First time grow - Growth came to a halt - Need advice

chuhaha

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read. Recently decided taking up the hobby of growing marijuana and was very optimistic and excited until very recently. I can tell something's wrong, but can't put my finger on what exactly it is after doing a fair amount of research and reading about other people's problems. I know the following off the bat:

- I transplanted too soon. The taproot was showing through the bottom of the container that I originally planted the germinated seed in, so I panicked and transplanted into a much larger box.

- I didn't pick good soil. I purchased MG organic thinking I could compensate with Fox Farm nutes (when I first decided that I wanted to undergo the process, I read that this would be easy and that the plant would grow in less than ideal circumstances).

What I'm working with:

SOIL GROW

Strain - Big Bud Autoflower (MSNL)
# of Plants - 1
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Seedling (first two true leaves)
Bucket Size - 3 gallon
Light - One 300W VIPARSPECTRA LED about 16" above top of plant
Nutrients - Fox Farm grow big and tiger bloom (not used yet)
Medium - MG organic
PH - Hoping this was something I could concern myself less with
RH - " "
Room Temperature - 70 -75
Solution Temperature - Room temp
Room Square Footage - ~3x5 - walls are not reflective
Pests - None Known

Problem: Stem is purple, leaves look depressed and floppy, and growth has slowed down. The seed was germinated exactly eight days ago, and was transplanted four days after germination. Appeared healthy until the sixth day. Has been watered tree times - once when planted after germination, once when it was transplated, and once today when it looked thirsty.

I know I'm less educated than the average first timer, but I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction based on the info above. I really appreciate anyone's time who's wiling to help.

Also - Do I have to add pictures from a URL? Can I not attach them as in an email?

Best,

Cole

Are you ph'ing your water?
There's a thread on the main page that tells you how to add pics. If your using the app it's easier.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Biggest problem is that you transplanted your Seeding 4 days old into a 3 gallon pot. You should be in 10 or 12 Oz Dixie cup for approximately 3 weeks or a few nodes of growth. And then I would transplant into a 1-2 gallon pot and finally into a 5 gallon before switching to flower. Your seedling is shocked and probably over watered. I would scrap that seedling and start over especially if it has shown signs of severe stress like you've described, your only 8days in, and will take a lot longer then that to try and recover a plant that has no root system if it will even recover. Cut your losses and move on. That's my suggestion, from a grower with 9 yrs experience. I've been through your situation many years ago and wasted alot of time in the process. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel XL using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You could lift that led up a bit. I'd start at 30in above until it has a few sets of leaves. It's really hard to pin point the issue esp with out pictures.
I can tell you seedlings like humidity/warmer weather. You could place a humidity dome over it or a cheaper way is with a clear plastic cup.
This seedling is 8 days old so I doubt it needed to be watered 3 times. That could be the issue. How are you watering? I would use a spray bottle and wet the soil in a circle around the seedling. It's really easy to over water esp when your using a larger pot.

Get a ph pen mate. I had one of photo periods get purple stem and droopy I checked the soil ph and it was 7.5. My ph pen needed calibration took me a good flush with 5.5 ph'd water then 6.0 ph'd watering and nutes when dry for around 3 weeks before I got her out of nute lock. Ya need that ph in good range 6.2 to 6.6 for soil seems to work ok for me. If ya running an auto flower ya might be best germinating another seed mate it could take the rest of your veg energy to come good therefore minimal growth for when she starts to flower = stunted
Good luck.

Listen to the Germinator on this one. He'll set you straight. But definitely get a ph pen and run a slurry test on that soil.

420-magazine-mobile1698035228.jpg

420-magazine-mobile24662693.jpg

420-magazine-mobile788481706.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thank you all for the responses. Pictures are attached. I downloaded the app (thank you germinator).

I'm going to order a pH kit shortly and probably some better soil. As suggested, I'll also avoid transplanting/over watering my next seedling, as well as keeping the light farther away to start.

Based on the pictures, does anyone any any suggestions on cheap setup improvements? Also, based on the looks of the seedling, any more insight on where on failed on this one, or do the pictures reinforce the original diagnoses?

Thanks again!

Cole

Hi chuhaha,

I started from seed using LEDs and agree with MsSinful that 16" is to close. I started out probably 36" away and gradually brought it closer. Also what the other, way more experienced, growers are saying may have more to do with it? All solid advice imho and worth following.

BobG

thats a big fan for a little baby

if thats pointed how it is in the picture and on, thats probably too much

even if thats oscillating on low its probably too much pointed straight at the baby

you mention purple stem. its still tiny give it time and see what that does. seedling stems are fine to be purple.

whats the humidity in the room. you have temp listed but not relative humidity
that was a major factor for me. mine liked 70 or so, maybe a little higher at that stage. actually they LOVED it.

watch this video

How to get high yields: environment importance - YouTube

if your gonna start over (i wouldn't be able to through her out yet, i would feed her superthrive and see what happens) get your setup dialed in then germinate.

The Good news is you got your cherry busted. The bad news is you are a bit disappointed. It happens to everyone at first. You learn from each mistake, so the next is better than the other. Only a fool would believe this is easy, as you just learned its not...Soil, genetics, nutes,mites, overwatering, underwatering, this is a labor of love...

I'm a relative newby myself with 4 grows under my belt. What I have learned is to not be too anxious and try to anticipate the growth speed. Water every 3rd day to start and then adjust to the plant reaction. Don't put the LED closer than 10 inches. I would avoid nutes the first grow to see how the plant grows without help and then adjust with the next grow. Keep a journal of what you find so you can modify your method on the successive grows. I too do it as a hobby with benefits and learn something new with each grow and each grow is getting more productive. Have fun!:Namaste

I'm no expert but Ive grown some inside and out. My advice to you is hurry up and do nothing. Let the plant do its thing for a couple weeks and see what happens.

The only problem I know of for mg soil is when it has slow release fertilizers. Its a problem when it gets to flower stage and there is too much nitrogen present. Ive started plants in it and they did just fine.

not an expert but i think you should not feed it since it has immediate and slow release nutrients already in it. 0.10 - 0.05 - 0.10 at least that is what googled showed me so no nutrients till she ask for it. Try what cnile said superthrive at 1/4 strength with r/0 water and i would even go another step and foliar feed it for now since the roots might not be that established if you can waste a little extra get some voodoo juice it will help her fill up the big pot you prematurely put her in. Do not over water. give it two weeks and see how she starts stretching. good luck

Agree with everything said so far. Stop watering it. Let the soil dry. You will get bugs in wet soil. Don't add nutrients until it's at least 5 nodes high.

Thanks again. Raised the light, haven't watered, ordered the pH pen. Going to let nature take its course and send a few pictures in a couple weeks as a follow up.

420-magazine-mobile892769717.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1565665169.jpg

So here we are almost a week since the last pictures. Haven't done any watering; moved the light. My question:

Does this seem like an adequate amount of growth for one week? It's hard to tell in the pictures, but there are four small leaves starting to show underneath the top two. Looks like the plant isn't stretching towards the light at all. Could it still be too close?

Back
Top Bottom