First grow - Transplant catastrophe!

Soulrust

Hey, first time grower here, and I had some problems with my transplant today. I was transplating two seedlings (2 weeks old) from small pots (about cup-sized) to larger pots. Never done it before, but I read some guides and I tried to follow every step, starting with watering 24 hours in advance so the root ball would be easy to get out, holding the pot upside down while carefully tapping it etc.

Unfortunately, the soil wasn't holding together at all, crumbling as I held the pots upside down and I eventually cut open the pots with a scissor and tried my best to scoop the plants and soil out and into the new pots. Even with being very careful, some roots came off from one of the seedlings and the other got a dent/bend in the stem.

I guess I killed them both. The plants really seemed too fragile - it seemed as if the root systems weren't developed enough for this transplant - they hadn't filled out the pot at all.

Did I do the transplant too early? The seedlings only had one full pair of the "real" leaves, with a second pair just starting, but the first pair had grown wide of the pot on each side, so as best I could understand (and according to the internet), it was time.

Also, I thought maybe the soil I've used isn't ideal for this - it's 70/30 peat/compost. It seems coarse.

While it was probably worse for the plants than me, this first transplant put me a bit off and I wonder if I shouldn't start my next attempt directly in the bigger pots.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It's generally much better to start small and transplant your way up through a series of pot sizes, IMO. Better root development, and much easier watering logistics.
Yes you transplanted too soon. It takes leaves to grow roots, and vice-versa. After a little more growth those containers would be right full of roots.
I do not water before transplanting. I let them get fairly dry- they hold together much better that way and are easier to move. Also root growth is better when they aren't wet.
I often just pull them out of the pots by the base of their stems. I moisten the soil I'm using for the new pot, and don't water much right after the transplant - just the minimum they need.
I just got in from transplanting some plants from 7 gallon pots to 10 gallons. Even with these ones I was able to lift them out by the stems (I'm not reccomending you do it this way- just pointing out that they hold together very well)

I always try to transplant when the plants are dry, anything i plant/transplant. Even with a crummy root ball is always easier for me. Most will recommend that i think you'll find.

That being said, they should be fine. I've broken more than a couple on transplant and if you leave them alone in the sun/light they'll recover.

Good luck!

Guess everybody has it's own method, after a few attempts you'll find the perfect way for you as well.

The way I do it: I always start in small containers, when I am comfortable they are ready to go into their final pot, I let them get very dry, check if it's light when you pick it up. I water them really good, with decent runoff, and then I turn upside down and gently remove the girl. Never killed a baby, but it has happen like once that the soil just went poof, only left with the stem and a couple of roots in my hand, but you'll find out, they're really tough plants, can take some abuse and bounce back. As long as you planted her to sit somewhat straight there's no problem, she will bury the roots and be able to stand up herself again.

:Namaste:

Planting wet sucks and is a mess. I now transplant before lights off when its dry. After transplant I then water with some Thrive vitamin B1 and have had no problems seems to help with shock and plants don't notice the change.

I would never transplant "wet". A dry root ball is much lighter and holds together better (and doesn't rip the fine roots off from all the weight). The plant also comes out of the pot more easily since the soil contracts when dry but swells when wet.

Unless the cups were very small, it also sounds like you were early. Once root bound, the soil will hold together. It seems to take me about 1 month to get to that point with seeds in solo cups. YMMV.

When dry, you can always knock a plant out of its cup/pot, take a peek to see if the roots are well-developed. If not, just drop it back into its original cup.

No worries. Even if only a few roots made it, they should survive. It just sets them back a while.

Back
Top Bottom