First Time Grower - DWC!

Atraindwc

Hey everyone I am a new grower of medical plants. I have grows peppers in dwc but now I am taking the plunge into this awesome crop!
A little background on my grow so far:
-Started with a rooted cutting (Girl Scout cookies)
-5 weeks of veg
-Flora duo a and b
-great white and rhizo blast
-heavy folier cal mag spray
-started lights with 400w mh but was fighting high air and res temps so I made the switch to led(Mars hydro 300w and the 48 reflector series)
-currently into the 3rd week of flower
Here's a pic of my plant a couple weeks after I received it. It was still under the mh so the temps were out of control.

image_E01.jpg

Whats up fellow hydro-head. Welcome to your first grow, i hope it is successful for you. I will follow along to offer any assistance i can and if i cant assist i will encourage.
I have fought with temps and ive tried all kinds of ways and means to keep em down. Moving your air pump outside the tent where it can draw in cooler air will help keep your rez temps down a fraction.
Your set up looks really clean and i am looking forward to watching your progress.

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Lazarus13 Thank you for your support! I have updated pictures I will upload later tonight when I get a chance. I have it in a scrog and I've done some very light defoliating. As I am new I am hesitant to hack away at it. Once I get up some pics I will be very interested in everyone's input on my scrog and topping.

Nice set up , Also keep your ona out side the tent :thumb:
Good catch... I didnt even realize what that until you said something.
Ive never used it but i have heard it can make your plants take on the smell and taste if its in the tent.
Cant wait to see the pics.

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Nice set up , Also keep your ona out side the tent :thumb:
Thank you ! It seems obvious now to not have it in the same space as the plant! Luckily I just had the gel during the first couple weeks of veg till my carbon scrubber came! Pics coming soon I am out and about at the moment but I'll upload them tonight.

Is there any particular reason your exhaust fan and filter are on the floor? It would be more efficient if they were fastened to the bars at the top of the tent.
Well I gave it some thought and I did it for a couple reasons, the main reason is that when I first installed it on the top of my tent the fan puts out this high pitch noise. With it on the bottom the more ducting on the exhaust side of the fan seems to really mute the noise. I am limited on space because the tent is right by my bed so I can't mount the fan remotely. The second reason is that it takes up a ton of vertical space in the tent. My temps are pretty good now that I am using led. I know ideally It would be better to catch more of the hot air at the top of the tent but given my situation this seems to be the most practical and stealthy method. I am open to any suggestions!

After doing some research and cruising through other grow logs here I decided to give her a hair cut and start to train her around the Scrog.

image17945.jpeg

image17943.jpeg

image17944.jpeg

Small update
This is week 4 of bloom
image18234.jpeg

I currently want to change my base nutrients. It seems difficult to choose given everyone's opinions on which nutrients are worth the hype. I have been leaning towards advanced nutrients. But at my local shop the guys there told me that they are over priced and they only work great if you use there entire line. In other words if you want to "play mad scientist " and use different products I should use aqua flakes a&b. Apparently you mess up there ph perfect formula when you start adding other products. Any input on additives and base nutrients would be greatly appreciated! I've been doing a lot of research and I know there is a lot of "snake oil" additives on the market.

Hi AtrainDWC! IMO the best additive I ever had and am still using is HESI supervit
supervit.png

As mentionned on the back of the bottle, a drop for 4,5 Liters of water. I use it once in two watering. It contains all the vitamins an amino acids that could lack in a fertilizer brand. With this, you're at least certain that your plant won't suffer any weird defficiencies.
It contains vitamins A, B1, B6, E, B2, B3, B12, B4, B7, B9, B10, B11, B15, C, K.

cheers

Hi AtrainDWC! IMO the best additive I ever had and am still using is HESI supervit

As mentionned on the back of the bottle, a drop for 4,5 Liters of water. I use it once in two watering. It contains all the vitamins an amino acids that could lack in a fertilizer brand. With this, you're at least certain that your plant won't suffer any weird defficiencies.
It contains vitamins A, B1, B6, E, B2, B3, B12, B4, B7, B9, B10, B11, B15, C, K.

cheers

Thank you! I will defiantly check that out! That's the kind of product I am looking for. There is just a lot of products out there like "bloom boosters" that I am not entirely confident using.

I recently picked up some liquid kool bloom and some armor si. I also think I am having a cal and or mag deficiency. I did some pruning and got rid of all the leaves with rust spots. I have also started using more heavy folier spray with cal mag to see if that helps as I am using RO in my res.
image18376.jpeg

I read that it could be a fungus but it seems to be dead dry spots of "rust" occurring towards the end and tips of leafs. No powdery moldy type powder or anything on the leafs. Any thoughts?

Some quick update pics!
I also added a pk booster (liquid koolbloom) and some armor si.

image18475.jpeg
image18476.jpeg

image18478.jpeg
image18474.jpeg

After doing some reading I think I am going to go with heavy 16 base nutrients. They are very informative and I would prefer to support local businesses.

The flowers are really starting to develop despite a major cal mag deficiency and high res temps(76-79 degrees).
This week I switched from flora duo to heavy 16 bud A and bud B for flowering. I also added cal mag and inoculated my roots again with great white. The stems are quite small and very purple. I am hoping my new nutrient mix will kick in soon. I have ph set on the higher side to help cal mag uptake(ph 6.1). Also I have placed my air pump outside the tent and insulated my bucket to see if I can get temps down and my res temp is now at 73. My ppms are higher now due to the new base nutrients and the adding of silica and cal mag(1600ppm) seems high but I'll just have to wait and see how she responds.

image18669.jpeg

image18670.jpeg

Got a small macro lens for my phone and was surprised what I found!

image18672.jpeg

image18671.jpeg

Looking really nice man. Moving your pump outta the tent will help. I love that i can sit my pump on the windowsill now that its getting cool outside. Keeps the rez perfect blowing fall air into the water. Good insulation job on the bucket too. Looks really clean in there. Keep up the good work.

I have run into a problem within the last couple day and was wondering what all you guys think. It seems that all the leafs (not just the ones that are closest to the light) are starting to get really crispy and brittle. It seems to be drinking a good amount of water from the res,but to me it look like the moisture is just getting sucked out of the plant. The temps have been around 80 and the rh is at about 30%. The weather has been dryer recently but I am not sure that's the reason. My res temps are about 72-74 degrees and my ppms are 1500. Could it be heat stress? Nute burn? Combo of both? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom