First Time Grower's Journal

yellowing clone

I moved this 9 day old yellowing clone to my DWC, let's see how she does there

image17436.jpg

I'm gonna be taking clones for the first time and this shit looks stressful! I hope yours make it and you get nice strong plants from all of your clones!!

Thanks man, it's learning by trial and error. I do a lot of research but some of it is contradictory. I figure after I get through this first batch I should probably be a professional LOL

Don't want come off as an ass or seem preachy in your thread but.

Researching cloning can be confusing with lots of conflicting info. There are several good methods and what works for one may not work for the other. Genetics plays a bigger role than one might think, and what works for one strain or phenotype again might not even work for another. Some root in 7 days others 21, some root faster in bubble cloner, others in rockwool, usually all of them root faster in aero though. I swear by a heat mat. In the end with cloning you kinda have to figure out what is best for you (ease, environment, cost,rooting time, maintenance ect.) and we try to help guide you through this process using our individual experience (ie. what works best for each individual)

yellowing clone

I moved this 9 day old yellowing clone to my DWC, let's see how she does there

image17436.jpg

When removed from a high humidity dome environment, clones most often need to be gradually introduced to the drier air. See how the lower leaves have gone soft and the tips curling up, tips will be crunchy few days. At post #60 you were right on track, the yellowing lower leaves are the plant sacrificing them and sucking out nitrogen ect. to send to newer growth, roots soon to follow. I would feed them, I root in 400ppm to avoid/minimize this. I know it's hard but patience, roots will come, then harden them off and go.

If you want to really see root progression in action build yourself a tupperware 4 site mini bubble cloner (8.00$) that fits in your dome, you can look at the rooting stems every day without disturbing them and you can see how it compares to RW.

Don't want come off as an ass or seem preachy in your thread but.

Researching cloning can be confusing with lots of conflicting info. There are several good methods and what works for one may not work for the other. Genetics plays a bigger role than one might think, and what works for one strain or phenotype again might not even work for another. Some root in 7 days others 21, some root faster in bubble cloner, others in rockwool, usually all of them root faster in aero though. I swear by a heat mat. In the end with cloning you kinda have to figure out what is best for you (ease, environment, cost,rooting time, maintenance ect.) and we try to help guide you through this process using our individual experience (ie. what works best for each individual)

When removed from a high humidity dome environment, clones most often need to be gradually introduced to the drier air. See how the lower leaves have gone soft and the tips curling up, tips will be crunchy few days. At post #60 you were right on track, the yellowing lower leaves are the plant sacrificing them and sucking out nitrogen ect. to send to newer growth, roots soon to follow. I would feed them, I root in 400ppm to avoid/minimize this. I know it's hard but patience, roots will come, then harden them off and go.

If you want to really see root progression in action build yourself a tupperware 4 site mini bubble cloner (8.00$) that fits in your dome, you can look at the rooting stems every day without disturbing them and you can see how it compares to RW.

Thanks Alienpus, I am def going to invest and the bubbler and give it a shot. I know there are a lot of variables and it is not an exact science for each plant. I guess the best teacher is hands on experience while having the resources available to guide you and help you make the most informed decisions. I really appreciate and value all that I have learned from the help that I have received in this forum and I'm sure all the recourse that I have found here my plants will thrive through some trial and error and produce a bountiful harvest.

Clones

The first clone I put into my DWC died quickly, but it seemed as if it was already dying before I placed it in there. These look healthy and were all transferred to my DWC I day or two apart, the latest being the two in the front today. The two in the back have been there for about three or four days now and are looking good. I covered them with clear plastic cups with holes cut in the top so that they can adjust to the humidity change slowly without causing shock to the babies, it seems to be working well.

image17764.jpg

Well my babies are looking healthy so far, it seems that using plastic cups with holes cut on the top to let them adjust to the humidity change slowly worked out really well. I just cut 6 more clones and will have my budding tent complete by the end of the week (I will post a pic when complete). I am going to first put plant 2 (back right) which is in between 2 to 3 feet tall right now and the first 6 clones in the tent and then keep adding clones as they are ready. I am guessing that in my 4 x 4 tent I can prob bud 24 plants at a time.

image17933.jpg

Tent set up
Just constructed my 4 x 4 tent. 1k hps, 6" fans and carbon filter. Tomorrow I am going to install the electrical and ducting. I also made a 4 x 4 wood platform which it sits on with wheels so I can roll it around for easy maneuverability.

image18378.jpg

Clones
My original 6 babies are growing fast and strong but 3/6 of the new batch that I cut died. The stems turned a blackish color and they shriveled up. I am going to cut more in a day or so as I want to flower 24-30 babies plus plant 2 which is almost 3' tall right now in my tent. What kind of yeilds do you guys think I will achieve off of this? I'm guessing 2lbs? About an ounce per plant and maybe up to 3 off of the big girl?

image18379.jpg

That 1k 6" setup is perfect, like the platform idea, realistically aim for one pound at first.

Keep in mind you are going to have to keep that light 18" from top of canopy so the top 30" of your tent is reserved for this, 30" lower than the top is the max height your flowered plants should achieve under the light, a bit taller around the perimeter, like if there was an 18" string attached to the bulb.
Unless you cut her back a lot, if you flower plant 2 as she is now under 1k, she will at least double into 5-6' tall about 3' wide monster and you will run out of height fast. With a 1000w tent height can quickly become an issue especially for first timers who just don't realize how big then can get during flower.
Plants double and triple during flowering, a 1k light puts out lots of growth and I really fear you are going to overgrow yourself with so many plants and all those different sizes, and will be disappointed by the results. I have taken the liberty of posting a few pics from my grow as an example of flowering growth under a 1000w to show how they just about tripled, I hope it's not impolite .Once again congrats up on the setup, good times ahead.

First day of 12/12, 5 heavily pruned plants about 9" wide and tall per 1000w light

IMG_134220.JPG

at about 4 weeks, about 18-22" wide and tall, from this point on it's pretty much buds only:

IMG_153214.JPG

At about week 7-8 it's just bud growth but they still grew another 6"

IMG_164018.JPG

Here are some chart that may help you

You may be able to lower your light. Place your hand underneath the light bulb to the point you can not feel any heat and move the light above your canopy to that height, raise the light as your plants grow.

Here are some lumen versus distance charts, they do not take heat into account

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

Thanks for the Intel alienpus,

Do you think if I off center the light and put plant 2 (just measured her at 25") to the side of the light that I will squuze her in there? The tent is about 6.5' tall, I didn't realize that she would grow that tall. Should I scrap her? She's not as strong as plant 1 and don't want to keep her as a mother but I didn't want to scrap her with all of the attention that I put in to her. I figured I could bud her and get a significant yeild because of her size. She's going in to a 5 gallon bucket when I transfer her so if she goes to 5' tall she will be hitting the top of the tent.

Thanks for the Intel alienpus,

Do you think if I off center the light and put plant 2 (just measured her at 25") to the side of the light that I will squuze her in there? The tent is about 6.5' tall, I didn't realize that she would grow that tall. Should I scrap her? She's not as strong as plant 1 and don't want to keep her as a mother but I didn't want to scrap her with all of the attention that I put in to her. I figured I could bud her and get a significant yeild because of her size. She's going in to a 5 gallon bucket when I transfer her so if she goes to 5' tall she will be hitting the top of the tent.

Even once you get an air-cooled reflector, to adequately cover a 4x4' you will be 16-18" above canopy plus 12" from bulb to top of tent leaving about 48" total height for DWC system and plants. This means you will have to settle on a growing technique very soon, like a screen,or pruning, training ect.

The closer to the light the bigger the bud, up to a certain point obviously, to up your yields you want to pack as many shoots as practical as close to light as safely possible. This means you want a flat or even better, a bowl shaped canopy (top of plants), you achieve this with your chosen technique, a plant with many shoots stretches less in flower also. Keep in mind yield is very strain/pheno dependent. Your plants are all different sizes that is what complicates things, you need to make them all low enough to finish under 48" and an even height to get them all close to the light.

We have a 4x4' area that we want to pack wall to wall with fairly evenly spaced and sized shoots, this is where the number of plants comes in. By nature, SOG aside, when we keep plants short by training and pruning they get wider so can less to cover the same area , their number will depend on their size and again will be greatly affected by your chosen technique,

We can fit plant 2 in there easy by pruning and training her, thing is she will take up a good quarter of the space or more and might make fitting others in there more difficult. I think that flowering trained plants 1 and 2 in half the tent with properly sized others in the other half would work well, get you into flower faster, and give you a crash course in pruning. Now that you have a 1k you can turbo veg the 6 while cutting back the bigger ones. The six you have rooted now with some training and veg are also enough to fill your tent, it's even possible with just one plant or 48.

Plant 1 will, as she is now outgrow you as a mom also, you could flower her with #2 and start a new one or two. Once you have your cycle going you will take cuttings every 8 weeks (assuming an 8 week strain) you have to control that 2 months of growth. Many people don't keep moms, they take cuttings from plants in veg as they are pruned. Personally just I veg a few extra plants and by the end of 5 weeks they give me 6-8 clones each. My cycle as an example is, around the day I start flower I take cuttings, they root and pre-veg 3 weeks in 1" cubes, then vegged and trained for 5 weeks, then into flower. Rinse and repeat.

If you want to flower #1 or#2 you are going to have to start by cutting back quite a bit, it may seem scary but with those root masses they'll bounce back real fast and end up being more productive. Google "sea of green" "screen of green" "low stress training". Look through this thread to see just what we can put a plant through and the results LST pics inside Think about and let us know.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom