First Time Grower - Advice Welcome

Haven't seen any lately, too close to harvest to treat with anything harsh. Monitoring, shaking the plants daily. Had 1/3 perlite with FFOF, but still got a mild case of gnats. I quit feeding molasses, got out the wet vac & ended the war.

Good morning!

Ladies will be going outside the next 5 days. The forecast looks great. I have a question, so maybe I can get some strong feedback.

How low can the Temps drop to at night without killing them and totally stopping Trich production?

I was thinking of leaving them out on the porch all night to finish up. I'd be elevating the pots off of the ground to by placing Styrofoam under them to protect the roots The night Temps will be ranging between 40 & 50 degrees. The porch is enclosed with screens, so very little moisture/dew will fall directly onto the plants. They have 6 - 10 days to go & am trying for a "Controlled Shock"!

:thanks:

40 to 50f might be too cold. For outdoor I usually wait till the temps are low 60s high 50s. Usually at the end of this month. If not first week of June. I know your just finishing up the plants. But it would be a shame if something went wrong.

I'm on the east coast of Canada so things take abit longer to warm up. Not sure where u are located.

This is just my opinion. Good luck! Things are looking nice.

I was shoveling gravel all day yesterday.... Thought I would test the ground here and see how thawed we are. 5 inches till I hit frozen earth lol 'shakes fist at permafrost....

Damn you must be pretty far north man lol. I've only encountered permafrost past the arctic circle!

Damn you must be pretty far north man lol. I've only encountered permafrost past the arctic circle!

It was kinda a joke to call it perma frost but we do have a crust of it under us all year here , kinda normal , only at 53' north too. Central.

Sabo , plants stop growing when temps drop below 10'celsius (50'f) although they can survive colder and continue growing when they warm up. That hardens them as well as mofonatures wind and rain ect.... Some strains will keep growing cooler than 50 , like most northern Ruderalis or Northern bred regulars for outdoor but they have a relationship with cooler climates that make them more potent (They require cold to encourage more hash production potency is in health) NL strains and hybrids do well even when they get hit with cold weather. Or they should....

I had a small plant hidden amongst the tomatoes last year and it survived up until the first threat of frost and I picked it Oct 27th.

I had a few clones 2 years ago I put outside at the end of April which is REAL early around here, but the spring was unusually warm.
Within a few weeks they were showing hairs because the daylight was short like it would be in the fall. I was expecting them to revert back to veg and then flower again later in summer.

Well I never found out because a week after I saw hairs a huge storm came through and blew down a fence where they were. When I lifted the fence the plants were gone. I think I was ripped off in the one week between seeing hairs and the fence falling.

I was glad I was ripped off in the spring rather than full bloom ready to harvest.

At least they didn't get to smoke some mature buds of the best pot east of the Mississippi

I almost forgot we are in the same neck of the woods and climate, so I hope this helps

Yeah HH, Rippers aren't good. All the work and someone steals them. Agreed, better in spring than in fall to be ripped. You do grow some wicked looked specimens!

I'm in full harvest prep mode, the Skunk/NL Ladies got razored today and will stay indoors the rest of the day, but tomorrow & the next couple of days are supposed to be half decent in my parts, so out the door they will go, even though they are almost completely naked now.

Looks like it will be a half decent harvest, considering how small I kept them, but I think that I did pretty good managing their height.

:high-five:

Yeah HH, Rippers aren't good. All the work and someone steals them. Agreed, better in spring than in fall to be ripped. You do grow some wicked looked specimens!

I'm in full harvest prep mode, the Skunk/NL Ladies got razored today and will stay indoors the rest of the day, but tomorrow & the next couple of days are supposed to be half decent in my parts, so out the door they will go, even though they are almost completely naked now.

Looks like it will be a half decent harvest, considering how small I kept them, but I think that I did pretty good managing their height.

you lollypop them?

Good morning!

Ladies will be going outside the next 5 days. The forecast looks great. I have a question, so maybe I can get some strong feedback.

How low can the Temps drop to at night without killing them and totally stopping Trich production?

I was thinking of leaving them out on the porch all night to finish up. I'd be elevating the pots off of the ground to by placing Styrofoam under them to protect the roots The night Temps will be ranging between 40 & 50 degrees. The porch is enclosed with screens, so very little moisture/dew will fall directly onto the plants. They have 6 - 10 days to go & am trying for a "Controlled Shock"!

I have less weed growing experiences than you, but I ask you to consider seeds and growing. Very few temperate zone plants grow well or burst seeds at SOIL temperatures below 50F. If you do leave them out at ambient 50 degrees, consider laying a towel over the soil to help retain heat.

Hey WRB,

Nah, they were lollipopped before flower. I am introducing Intentional Stress.

I found this somewhere, but can't remember "Author Unknown":

"Intentional Stress- When your approaching the end of your flowering cycle, you start to stress the plant out.
Hey, they are about to die anyway. When plants THINK they are dying , the only thing they know how to do is grow or try to reproduce. If you start to stress them it is believed by many that the plant will try to get stickier in order to be able to catch more pollen from a flowering male.

ADD EXTRA COLD AIR
ADD A DARKNESS PERIOD

When you do this, there are some things to keep in mind.

**Never do this for more then 14 days before your harvest. The key here is to stress them out just enough, to not give them time to turn hermaphrodite on you. You have to estimate when you think you might have 14 days left, start and harvest no more then 14 days after. Kick the plant pots everyday, shake the plant a little everyday, and give it a few minutes of HIGH FAN Air, like a wind storm.
Take little thumb tacks, drive them into every branch on the plant right below the last node. Do not break anything, or drive big nails into them, just use small thumb tacks. Just a tack into every lower branch will do the trick. You're not damaging them, your just annoying them to get a reaction.

TWISTING- hold one part of the large stem between a thumb and finger, and one inch higher, hold one part of the large stem between a thumb and finger, and TWIST it, to damage it.

REMOVE FAN LEAVES- to promote a quicker drying process, by taking away excess chlorophyll

I know a lot of people like to do 24 to 48 hours of darkness prior to harvest but you can try 2 days of darkness before u chop, or even mess with the light schedule a little, using less light. I know this seems crazy but it works. Just do it the LAST week before harvest".

:Namaste:

If you laid a towel over them, you could get internal condensation that could cause mold. 40-50 degrees is not that bad for a mature fully budding cannabis plant. If my little seedlings could survive 48 F temperatures at night, then surely a fully grown adult can handle it. Actual freezing point, where the actual water inside the organism freezes is what you want to avoid. The plant is coming towards the end of its life and it needs to realize that.

If you laid a towel over them, you could get internal condensation that could cause mold. 40-50 degrees is not that bad for a mature fully budding cannabis plant. If my little seedlings could survive 48 F temperatures at night, then surely a fully grown adult can handle it. Actual freezing point, where the actual water inside the organism freezes is what you want to avoid. The plant is coming towards the end of its life and it needs to realize that.

:adore:

Thanks for the correction Relaxed Lester. I'm so glad I said "consider" instead of pretending I knew :)

I have soil mold on almost all my garden seed trays and lots of my outdoor soil. Massachusetts is swampy like Georgia.
My marijuana plants have not a trace of green soil. I'll try to keep it that way.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom

Radogast

Good morning!

I'd be elevating the pots off of the ground to by placing Styrofoam under them to protect the roots The night Temps will be ranging between 40 & 50 degrees. The porch is enclosed with screens, so very little moisture/dew will fall directly onto the plants. They have 6 - 10 days to go & am trying for a "Controlled Shock"!

No towels on top of the plants, Nope, Nope, Nope. Protect roots by elevating with Styrofoam, Yes, Yes, Yes.

05/02/14 Test Sample#3/Skunk/Northern Lights

Okie Dookie,

Snipped a nice bud + popcorn (notice the snippins are getting bigger?) Am going to dry this in a different way. "Ole Sabo's" Ceiling Fan Method was purdy good, but since I flushed, I have to get a lil more moisture out by Sunday for the Samplin.

This Samplin is critical, since "Ole Sabo" wants to capture & harvest at peak Trichome potency for the desired effect.

This time "Ole Sabo's" calls for the bud to be placed into the heating duct system. Tonight, it's gonna get into the lows 40's so the furnace is set on 68 degrees. Not to hot, not to cold, but just like the 3 Lil Bears said "This One is Just Right"! Plus when this lil Bud starts to slowly dry, "Ole Sabo's" recliner is a sittin right next to the vent, so I's can have a whiff & have some nip at the same time! :high-five:

Test_Sample_3_SKNL.jpg

Great info about irritating the plants SABO reps for sharing that,i'm going to try some of them things,maybe all of them lmao !!

And DING DONG what a lovely bit of popcorn,seing as i'm prolly going go get quite a bit of it i hope it turns out even a little bit like yours YUM

:blunt: :bong:

Back
Top Bottom