First time grower - Outdoor - Harvest status opinions please

@Zafu
Don't put the Boveda packs in the jars until you have it at the humidity you are trying for. Then once it is stable place the Bovedas in the jars and burp daily for a couple weeks and the once a week for a while. I usually just do one jar of buds until it's right and then I try jarring all the rest.

As far as when you harvest your outdoor ladies, a lot depends on your weather. For example my first risk of a hard freeze is the last week in October for my area. So regardless if I think they are ready, sometime near the end of this month my girls are coming down. Next year I want my regular (non-autos) outside as early as possible to try and get some more vertical height out of them. Also I will be working with known genetics, not some random bagseed, so hopefully that will help a little.

@HemoSync - At 66-67 humidity I don't see any harm that can come from leaving the 62% boveda in the jar, since 62% is my target. After 3-days, even with the pack, I'm still registering 66-67%, so not sure what's up with that. I'm opening the jars twice a day for about an hour and will keep doing that until I get down to 62%, though obviously not trying to do that quickly as I'm going for a slow cure. So far, so good. I'm not seeing any signs of mold and the jars smell lovely :thumb:

I understand how you'd have to harvest by a certain date based upon weather. I'm confident my remaining ladies will be finished before I need to worry about that. I'm just finding the process of determining harvest time (aside from mandatory reasons), is not a black & white science. While the info. behind clear. cloudy & amber trics is understood, the plants tend to make Trics frequently and they are not all made at the same time. So I'm learning that while Tric development is an extremely important indicator, so is the plumpness of the buds, stickyness, aroma and overall look of the buds. I can see a real benefit to sticking with specific varieties if they become favorites, as ones familiarity with them increases.

I posted those last pics of the buds and trics to get opinions, but I think I got this. I believe the window is about open and so I'm going to start harvesting in a week; probably 2 of the remaining 8 and then another 2 every 3-4 days until the 8 are all done. I'll be labeling the jars of course, so it will be nice having a semi early, mid and late harvest and determine any variances in how they feel.

By the way, we are finding the initial vanilla kush to be quite delicious. So gratifying!!!

PS: No sign what-so-ever of any more PM. Phew... :cheer:

Thanks -Zafu

I read where some trics dont get amber. What???
I figure if the bud has white hairs and or new white hairs its not done. Its still trying to make babies.
Zafu, I dident see any clear trics in your pics but no amber ones either.
Ive got 2 Sour Diesel clones in my tent and I read where they get funny bud tips like nipples when done. Ive noticed this with my yard grow too, the ones that look done are starting to get nipply ends.
We have rain coming Fri and Sunday and i will be pulling whole buds off and checking trics instead of a bud piece.
It dosent freeze where Im at untill Dec or Jan and barley then so if its freezing that makes you pull I got time.
This pic here is a week ago and look at all those white hairs!
Namaste
20161003_112120.jpg

@4Dutchess - That bud looks yummy. I'd go with Doc's prognosis :smokin: Would be great to see a week-later pic. to compare.

Have some rains coming over three days this Friday/Sat/Sun, so thinking I'll harvest 3 of my remaining 8 over the next few days just in-case, and also because I believe they are ready, at the least, as an early harvest sample. Then the remaining 5 will come down in the following 10 days "if" they survive the rains. I'm nervous about it cause the temps are dropping also. Instead of 70's day and 50's night, may drop to mid 50's day and mid to upper 40's night. Not scared about the ladies living through it; scared about possible PM and Bud Rot.

Sure gets quiet around here during harvest/drying/trimming/jarring

As a new grower that harvested 11 outdoor plants, I now understand why. Boy, did I under-estimate how much work this involved.

Just saying...

Cheers -Zafu

Sure gets quiet around here during harvest/drying/trimming/jarring

As a new grower that harvested 11 outdoor plants, I now understand why. Boy, did I under-estimate how much work this involved.

Just saying...

Cheers -Zafu
Yea I cannot imagine doing eleven plants at one time. I just pulled two down and that was enough work with more trim to come. Still have two more to go but they are in a very frost protected place where they should have at least another week. Here are a couple pics from my first outdoor harvest in thirty years. :laughtwo:

Some amazing pics there @4Dutchess.:high-five: I wish we had the weather for a second harvest, we are lucky to get a first harvest with photo girls. Those buds I showed were covered in real frost of the ice kind that very morning. Next year I'm doing all autos outside to hopefully control that problem. Save the regulars for scrogging inside. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom