First Time Grower Question

MDASHM

420 Member
I need some help please. This is my first grow. These are Gelato that are 35 days (5 weeks) from sprouting, I use GH Flora Series at light strength. 1/4 tsp. per gal for week 2 and 3 and 1/2 tsp. per gal for week 4 and 5. Have a 1/4 hp chiller at 68 deg. Light is a HLG 550 v2 R-Spec. RDWC 13 gal pails. Reservoir holds 58 gal and changed every 7 days. PH kept at 5.8 RH kept 45 - 65. Temp 74 - 78. Curre3ntly the light is 40 inches from the top of the plants. The light can go up an additional 10 inches and that is it. These were topped at the 4th node a while back and have been at 24 hours of light since sprouting. I wanted someone's advice if I should start 12/12 lights. These have grown really well but they seem to be more like bushes than taller plants. Would you veg another week? I don't want to run out of room. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
IMG_3130.jpg
IMG_3129.jpg

It's all up to you and how you want your tent but here's my 2cents I would measure from floor to the highest light setting then mins the distance you want the light to be from the buds in late flower ( example from floor to bottom of light 72" and you want 18" from bud to light so 72-18= 54") ok then 54÷2 =27" mark that when plants get there I would flip light

Thanks for your replies. Not knowing how tall this strain will get I will most likely be conservative and flip very soon.
Thanks again.

The breeder should provide an indication of indoor height range. I flipped after week 5...too soon on my first grow by at least two weeks affecting yield. My second grow Corleone Kush girls are finishing week 5 tomorrow and look the same as yours. I plan to veg 2-3 more weeks being cautious they dont blow up my 3x3’ cabinet.

Would it hurt anything to clear out some of the large fan leaves? The plants are so dense with many shoots trying to get light. I figure that since the plants are so healthy I might be able to give them a trim without causing too much damage. Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks - I flipped to 12/12 at 35 days. Now I am at 61 days and what a mess. I stopped feeding the Floragro a couple of weeks ago but they kept growing. What a mess - where did I go wrong?
IMG_3429.jpg

It’s called the “Stretch”. They double/triple during this time. I did the same thing my first grow. Vegged for 2 months.

Did you tuck the new growth under the netting?
That’s the point of the netting.
You could have suppercropped them to help keep them down. (See my links in my signature)

Did you lower your lights at flip?
I drop from 24” to 16”.

Usually folks do a heavy defol right before flip. There are certain things you want to keep (Fans that attach to bud sites) but remove any of the smaller branches (good for clones) that don’t look like they get to the top.

Are you out of vertical space?
They shouldn’t get any taller. Stretch usually starts a week or so after flip and last three weeks or so (in my experience).
They look awesome though. Bad ass setup. Nice clean and simple.
I would be hesitant to trim anything at this point in time. (Regardless or what anyone tells you) You can really harm thing if you don’t know what your doing. If you must, only remove a few leaves a day from each.
Just keep an eye on your temps. Keep good airflow and lower 45ish humidity.

They’ll start packing on weight soon.

Thanks for the reply - No I did not tuck new growth under the net. Yes I am out of vertical space. I had to bend 3 of the main shoots over. Everything looks ok for now. I am learning a lot which I will apply to my next grow. Here is a photo of where I bent them
IMG_3436.jpg
over.

Back
Top Bottom