first time

chuck1718

Ok let start by saying this is my first grow and first time ive mixed soil also im on a budget. So this is what i have to work with so far: sphagnum peat moss, perlite, steamed bone meal, worm castings(also started a farm of Eisenia fetida),Blood meal,and Azomite. I have epsom salt and diatomaceous earth lying around I plan on using the Dia earth in spray should i add some to the soil also and your thoughts on epsom's in the soil?? Thanks for reading this and helping me!

Chuck,

Sounds like a good start! As for the epsom salt, I've read that it can be dissolved in your watering / nutrient mixture and it a low cost Cal-Mag additive.

Watch your PH levels.

What are you planting?

Remember to just go easy with all that material you have. The biggest mistake I always seem to make is overdoing the nutes. Plants like it but not too much of it at once. And watching the ph of your water and run off is important to help diagnose any trouble you may have later.

If you are starting from seed, or clone, i would personally just start with your basic soil without any ferts. Maybe just throw in some of that sphagum and perlite. Don't use any ferts or bone or blood meal for the first few weeks and just leave it be. All that extra stuff is just going to make the soil too 'hot', too many ferts, which may kill it, or at the very least, slow it down. I just start my seedlings or clones in coir peat coconut fibre for the first 2 weeks, which has not no nutrients or anything in it.

You could throw in some worm castings, just don't over do it.
That's just my personal opinion. I just plant them and let them be for a while, let them build up a bit of strenth on their own. Then I start off with small Doses, and gradually increase. I don't like to push them too hard at the start with a lot of nutes or anything.
I generaly don't start using nutes till they are at least 6 inches tall.

I used -Fish Bone Meal @ 2.5lbs, Alfalfa Meal @ 1.5lbs, Blood Meal @ 2.5lbs, Neem Seed Meal @ 1/2lbs
Feather Meal @ 1.5lbs, Green Sand @ 1lbs, Fish Meal @ .5-1lbs, Soybean Meal @ 1.5lb, Kelp Meal @ 1.5lbs
Rock Phosphate @ 1.5lbs, Bark Mulch @ 1lbs, Indonesian Guano @ 2.5lbs for bloom, Mexican Guano @ 1.5lbs
for Veg., Earthworm Castings @ 7lbs, NW Forrest Humus @ 2.5lbs, Epsom Salt @ 1/4 Cup, Mychorrhizae @ 1/4
Cup, Azomite @ 2/3 cup, Dolomite Lime @ 2/3 cup

This makes 2.5-6 sq. ft., wasn't looking too closely but I didn't see forest humus, it will help manage Ph. I let this mixture brew in a couple 21 gallon tote with 1 1/2 gallons of water for 45 to 60 days, I have read that 60 days is optimal but I am only starting my first OLS grow so we will see how it goes. I did use only a tablespoon of this with Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss in 16 ounce containers, sprinkled on the top layer.

Hope you get something from this!

Back
Top Bottom