Help me with soil recipe

I'mOne

I have a thirty five gallon container of used soil which has been filled with approximately twenty eight gallons of soil and three of home made biochar and two peat moss.
I have numerous amendments to add, and work compost and rabbit manure I can add as well as some horse manure. How much of each do I add?
I have azomite, alfalfa meal, blood meal, neem cake, powdered kelp, AgLime, diatomaceous earth, langbeinite, oyster shell..

What was in the old soil??

Your adding in amendments do you know why you want to add a specific amendment??

Basic questions - you cant add amendments willy nilly. You need to first know WHY you want to add and amendment and 2nd you need to know if the soil actually needs that amendment.

How can we know this?

Soil testing - if in the USA - your local county extension service have test kits they are not very expensive. I pay $11 per test in NYS.

A good soil mix with have these base ingredients:

1/3 peat moss by volume
1/3 aeration (rice hulls/per-lite etc)
1/3 Humus (your old soil, compost, EWC)

To that add amendments.... I use these :

Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 50/50 Mix @ 1/2 to 1 cup per cubic foot
Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Malted Barley @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot (ground fine in a coffee grinder)

You need some rock dust in the mix as well here's what I use:

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

This will make a water only no-till soil you can re-use over and over water ftw.

This one is called "Coots Mix" and is an organic version of the Cornell University soil mix they use for greenhouse growing in containers.

Back
Top Bottom