First Timer-Cheap Indoor Grow Box

drumbjj

This is my set up
Snapshot_20120317_1.JPG

Snapshot_20120317_3.JPG

Two CFL's and I'm using an old xbox fan as my exhaust

mms_picture_1_.jpg

On the left is Afghan Kush and on the right is Auto Assassin

They sprouted up fast and now seem to be slowing down. I germinated them using the paper towel method and it took about 48 hours for the kush and about 72 hours for the assassin. I still have one more seed germinating Short Stuff #1 I started it with the other two but it's still not ready and it's been about a week, should I be worried?

Short Stuff #1 I started it with the other two but it's still not ready and it's been about a week, should I be worried?

Sounds like it could be a dud. You can gently remove the soil around the seed to see how it is doing. I use my fingernail and slowly remove the soil layer by layer until I see the seed. If it's still alive, you should see the stem as well as the taproot have emerged. If this is the case, and it's having trouble breaking the surface, cover it with about 1/4" of soil and keep it moist until it emerges. If the taproot looks like it hasn't grown since you planted it, it's probably a dud. Don't shoot yourself, it happens to the best of us!

Are you going to be using the box for the entire grow or just for germination? Because that box isn't going to be big enough when the plants get going.

What is the size of the CFL bulb you are using? You should get a reflecting dome for the bulb and possibly a two-way splitter so you can put two bulbs in the globe. A globe can be bought for about $30 and a splitter for about $3.50.

I actually haven't taken the Short Stuff out of the paper towel yet because I didn't see the root tip coming out like I did with the other 2 but I checked today and it's slowly starting to show so I'll probably pot it tomorrow.

I'm using the box until they grow out of it and then I'll come up with some other housing for them.

The cfl's are just 100w and I had planned on getting splitters but then they seemed to be growing pretty fast with just the 2. Once I add the 3rd plant I'll probably go out and get the splitter.

What's the purpose of the dome if it's in such a small, reflecting grow space?

CFLs emit light primarily from the sides of the bulbs, not from the tops. This being the case when they are enclosed in a globe or a reflector more useful light can be accumulated and directed more efficiently among the plants instead of loosing light in all directions. I made a CFL beer box reflector that ill finish up in the DIY section soon, it basically has 4 23 watts hooked up then has a /--\ shape to enclose the light and reflect the light back down. If you have any questions or are interested in it let me know ill hurry to get that post up. However you are right, they will do fine with insufficient lighting for a period of time, but when you see true leaves you want to start cranking up the lighting sufficiency

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am reporting this to be moved to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom