Gathering supplies and planning for first grow - Would like a second opinion please

DetroitFan

This is very overwhelming! I've been reading everything I can and trying to learn, but would like to get some input from you guys to see if I'm on the right track. This will be a legal medical grow in Michigan(12 plant max) in a basement with a grow tent.

Light- I definitely want to go LED for heat and efficiency reasons. I've read a lot of good info about COB lights but any input on that is greatly appreciated.

Tent- Apollo Horticulture 4x4 grow tent. gets good reviews, and the price is right. If it's crap, please let me know.

Medium- Been really struggling trying to decide on this, but I live very close to the people who make Kind Soil. So to keep things simple, I think might just do a soil grow with the Kind Soil. I may try to make my own super soil next time, but not the first time.

Pots/Plants (size and how many??)- I'd love some input on the type, size, and number of pots to use for a grow this size. I was thinking about trying maybe 6 plants the first time, just so i have room to move in the tent and don't have too much to deal with the first time. But If you have ANY suggestions about type, size or number, i'd love to hear it.

I will obviously also get a fan for in the tent, a gauge to monitor humidity and temp, and a charcoal filter and exhaust fan for the tent. Still researching trying to find a quiet exhaust fan, any suggestions for a quiet one would be great.

One of the only things that's really concerning me is humidity. Here in Michigan where i live (on the lake) it's HUMID! Like ring out your shirt humid. From my reading, it seems higher humidity is ok for veg, but not flower. I do have a 60 pint dehumidifier for the basement, but there is no way I can get down into the 30's, even right now without a grow going. And I can't just vent the air outside and pull outside air in, because outside is even higher humidity than the basement(about 70-75% in basement). In the winter, If i pull outside air in it will be freezing. I'm pretty confident I can keep the humidity to around 50%, +/- 5%, but that's about all. Is that going to be a problem?

Also, anything else you'd suggest I purchase, research, or try?

Thank you so much if you took the time to read or answer any of this, I know you all probably get a million people like me asking these things.

Re: Gathering supplies and planning for first grow, would like a second opinion pleas

Welcome to :420:...More and more folks are leaning towards COB's rather than cheaper blurple chinese LED's...I run cheaper models, and they run hotter than I expected....the old adage comes to mind...You get what you pay for...there are exceptions...but just luck if you find them...

I don't do tents...but Apollo sounds familiar...read verified purchaser reviews on any product you purchase if possible...

Not familiar with Kind Soil...just did a quick search...advertised as a water only grow medium...any organic based grow still has to be, or should be amended with tea's and foliar sprays(feeds)...keep that in mind...

As one who habitually overcrowds their space...lolool...six could be pushing limits, depending on strains and the different pheno's that emerge...I prefer a minimum of 5 gallon for auto or photo...I currently use 7 gallon fabric pots and seem to be a good fit for both me and the girlz...err on the side of caution, or go for it...Your call...

Fans take a bit of research as well...and again, reading reviews can help you make a decision...size matters...better to be over powered and throttle speed down than wishing you had bought one bigger...I would recommend at least 6 inch fan/filter combo...as well as a couple clip on fans or oscillating for circulation...

Ahh!...humidity...struggle with it as well...Good air flow/circulation will usually trump humidity issues...even into flower(to a point)...I run 5 fans in my shed and do have a dehummer if need be...although its ancient and throws out a lot of heat...so I tend not to use it unless I absolutely have to...I am this close to getting a window shaker A/C or better yet a portable 3 in 1 unit...but...I'm a cheap SOB on a fixed income...LOLOOL...50% RH is no problem...actually a sweet zone...mine swings from 40 to 70 % and...touch wood...no issues in that regard...

...The only other thing I would suggest...When you get up and running...Start a journal...You will get more help usually... if you experience any problems along the way...Best of Luck...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:...Pineapple Express tonight...seems it makes me a bit wordy!...lolool...:rofl:

Re: Gathering supplies and planning for first grow, would like a second opinion pleas

Thank you very much for the reply. In my reading about super soil I was under the impression it didn't need extra nutes, so thank you for the heads up on that so i can begin to research it.

I was leaning towards 7 gallon pots too, so I think 4 may be a better number for me to try on the first grow. Dealing with overcrowding is something I probably shouldn't do to myself right from the start.

I was planning on a 6" fan with a controller and turning it down, i'll try to read up on more brands. I'll use a charcoal filter on the air exiting tent for odor control. I think i will also build something to house a house furnace hepa filter to use for the air intake to the tent. Hoping that may help with any mold, dust, or bugs since it will be in basement.

Very happy to hear humidity shouldn't be an issue, I was really worried about it. I'll be sure to start a journal like you suggested!

thanks again for the help

I run timber grow citis with two added reds for bloom. It's a metric shit ton of light. See my grow. I have only ran mine at about 160w out of 265. If your getting a 4x4, consider a 5x5 tent and run higher. Had I known I would not be running these full throttle I would have opted for Crees. I think I could easily run this fixture in a 3x3 or larger. I am 18" off right now.

There are several grow tents out there. I have a Gorilla Grow Tall add on.

Just now cooking supersoil.

Look at smart pots. There are square versions of fabric pots that are cool. Figure some 3, some 5 and some 7 depending on what your doing. I use these for final pots, I don't transplant out of them.

I live in a humid area, my house with AC is like 60%, and it's a serious modern 22 seer unit. Anyway, I can maybe get my tent lower to 50 ish and sometimes high 40s if I have not watered for days. Your going to be fine.

I run timber grow citis with two added reds for bloom. It's a metric shit ton of light. See my grow. I have only ran mine at about 160w out of 265. If your getting a 4x4, consider a 5x5 tent and run higher. Had I known I would not be running these full throttle I would have opted for Crees. I think I could easily run this fixture in a 3x3 or larger. I am 18" off right now.

There are several grow tents out there. I have a Gorilla Grow Tall add on.

Just now cooking supersoil.

Look at smart pots. There are square versions of fabric pots that are cool. Figure some 3, some 5 and some 7 depending on what your doing. I use these for final pots, I don't transplant out of them.

I live in a humid area, my house with AC is like 60%, and it's a serious modern 22 seer unit. Anyway, I can maybe get my tent lower to 50 ish and sometimes high 40s if I have not watered for days. Your going to be fine.

thank you very much, you guys have made me feel much better about the humidity. I'm thinking about getting a 5x5 tent and still considering the growing area 4x4, just so i have more room inside to move around if i need to.

i will definitely go with the smart pots. the Kind Soil recommends the root trapper ii product line, but i'm sure a regular fabric pot would be fine.

thanks so much for the reply

Back
Top Bottom