Germination

volksball

3/5 seeds popped in 4 days. 7 days from sowing now, and the last two have not popped yet. How long might it take? And when do I give up?

I took them out of the humidity dome because I had to leave for the weekend and I didn't want to have popped seedlings under a dome for too long.

I put them back under the dome again now that I'm home.

3/5 seeds popped in 4 days. 7 days from sowing now, and the last two have not popped yet. How long might it take? And when do I give up?

I took them out of the humidity dome because I had to leave for the weekend and I didn't want to have popped seedlings under a dome for too long.

I put them back under the dome again now that I'm home.
Hi Volksball, good question. If you put them in dirt they need to stay wet all the time until they sprout. I'd give them a few more days before going in for a careful forensic peek. Lots of us here soak seeds in water until they crack open before putting them in the soil. Usually 24 to 36 hours for me. Also some put them in damp.not soaking wet, paper towels until they grow a longer tap root. I don't but lots do. Good luck! All you have to do to make a journal is keep posting and make a title. It's fun to watch and folks will get involved.

Hi Volksball, good question. If you put them in dirt they need to stay wet all the time until they sprout. I'd give them a few more days before going in for a careful forensic peek. Lots of us here soak seeds in water until they crack open before putting them in the soil. Usually 24 to 36 hours for me. Also some put them in damp.not soaking wet, paper towels until they grow a longer tap root. I don't but lots do. Good luck! All you have to do to make a journal is keep posting and make a title. It's fun to watch and folks will get involved.

Thanks for the advice, stoneotter.

My fear is that the tap root may have developed, but in my time away from them with the dome off, they may have not had the moisture needed to continue growing. I can go home and soak the soil again in hope to reignite the process.

Of course, that's my only option, but in your opinion, is it a low percentage chance of saving them? Or can we expect them to bounce back, if germination started then stopped?

Thx again.

Thanks for the advice, stoneotter.

My fear is that the tap root may have developed, but in my time away from them with the dome off, they may have not had the moisture needed to continue growing. I can go home and soak the soil again in hope to reignite the process.

Of course, that's my only option, but in your opinion, is it a low percentage chance of saving them? Or can we expect them to bounce back, if germination started then stopped?

Thx again.
Hehe. I never say die. Chances might be low but what do you have to lose? Will you replace them or run with what you have?

Hehe. I never say die. Chances might be low but what do you have to lose? Will you replace them or run with what you have?

Haven't completely decided. I'm new to this, so I may just go with three. I have two other seeds, auto Blueberry/Northern Lights, but I wonder of the challenges of growing feminized seeds along side auto seeds. I imagine the differing light schedules would pose an issue. Thoughts there?

Haven't completely decided. I'm new to this, so I may just go with three. I have two other seeds, auto Blueberry/Northern Lights, but I wonder of the challenges of growing feminized seeds along side auto seeds. I imagine the differing light schedules would pose an issue. Thoughts there?
You can put one in its place if you're up for a challenge. The auto will veg along with the photos and can flower at 12/12 lights. What kind of space are you growing in?

You can put one in its place if you're up for a challenge. The auto will veg along with the photos and can flower at 12/12 lights. What kind of space are you growing in?
Oh that may work...

Growing in a 5 x 5 tent. Have a look. Can it work?

Attachments

• 20181129_181319.jpg
    20181129_181319.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20181129_181242.jpg
    20181129_181242.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 60
I wonder of the challenges of growing feminized seeds along side auto seeds. I imagine the differing light schedules would pose an issue. Thoughts there?

I'd go with an 18/6 schedule for about 10 weeks. It'll take that long to veg the photos, and by then the autos will probably be done and you can get them out of your way - and have something to smoke will waiting for the photos! Then reset your lights to 12/12 for the photos.

I'd go with an 18/6 schedule for about 10 weeks. It'll take that long to veg the photos, and by then the autos will probably be done and you can get them out of your way - and have something to smoke will waiting for the photos! Then reset your lights to 12/12 for the photos.
Thanks!

Question:

My 3 photos are about two weeks in veg (see pic). They just got under the MH today.

I'll germinate the autos in a solo cup, then put them under the MH. By that point, my photos will be about 3-4 weeks into veg under the MH, leaving them 6-7 weeks until flower. That cant be enough for the autos, am I right?

Attachments

• 20181208_095211.jpg
    20181208_095211.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20181208_095356.jpg
    20181208_095356.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20181208_095640.jpg
    20181208_095640.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20181208_165858.jpg
    20181208_165858.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 52
'll germinate the autos in a solo cup, then put them under the MH. By that point, my photos will be about 3-4 weeks into veg under the MH, leaving them 6-7 weeks until flower. That cant be enough for the autos, am I right

Time for autos depends on a number of factors, but most are done in about 10 weeks. Keep in mind that autos don't take kindly to transplanting. The veg period is so short they don't have much time to recover. Plant your germed seeds directly into 3 gallon pots and the ladies will be much happier. Also, most folks don't pinch the top for the same reason - sets them back, and not enough time to fully recover. Use LST for your autos and I think you'll be happier. Photo is WW Auto, Week 7
WW Auto Week 7.JPG

Time for autos depends on a number of factors, but most are done in about 10 weeks. Keep in mind that autos don't take kindly to transplanting. The veg period is so short they don't have much time to recover. Plant your germed seeds directly into 3 gallon pots and the ladies will be much happier. Also, most folks don't pinch the top for the same reason - sets them back, and not enough time to fully recover. Use LST for your autos and I think you'll be happier. Photo is WW Auto, Week 7
WW Auto Week 7.JPG
Great advice. Thanks.

When you say pinch the top, you mean topping? And I was thinking about doing LST for my photos too. Topping and LST for the photos? And only LST for the autos?

I only have 2 gal or 7 gal pots to choose from. Which better?

Plants look great btw! What are they?

Great advice. Thanks.

When you say pinch the top, you mean topping? And I was thinking about doing LST for my photos too. Topping and LST for the photos? And only LST for the autos?

I only have 2 gal or 7 gal pots to choose from. Which better?

Plants look great btw! What are they?

Pinching = topping, yes. For the photos, I'd use both topping and LST. Some growers top autos, but they mention a few caveats - like, if the plant is doing phenomenally well you can probably get away with topping, but it WILL set them back. Probably better for most of us to stay with LST for autos.

Pots for pot? Having no other options, I'd opt for the larger pot - if your autos get root-bound, you'll set them back. But boy, a 7 gallon pot takes a lot of growing medium, not to mention a lot of room. Maybe you can visit a local nursery and get a few used 3 gallon pots for freebie, especially if they'll let you check out their dumpster!

Thanks for the kudos on the plants. They're White Widow Autos and about 7 weeks old. Should be ready to chop in 3 weeks. I'm about to start a grow journal on the seeds I just planted - I'll call the thread, "White Widow Auto Journal #2". If you're interested, you'll find the thread in "Grow Journals/Journals in Process"

Amazing. Thanks for all the tips, they'll come in handy for sure. They
Pinching = topping, yes. For the photos, I'd use both topping and LST. Some growers top autos, but they mention a few caveats - like, if the plant is doing phenomenally well you can probably get away with topping, but it WILL set them back. Probably better for most of us to stay with LST for autos.

Pots for pot? Having no other options, I'd opt for the larger pot - if your autos get root-bound, you'll set them back. But boy, a 7 gallon pot takes a lot of growing medium, not to mention a lot of room. Maybe you can visit a local nursery and get a few used 3 gallon pots for freebie, especially if they'll let you check out their dumpster!

Thanks for the kudos on the plants. They're White Widow Autos and about 7 weeks old. Should be ready to chop in 3 weeks. I'm about to start a grow journal on the seeds I just planted - I'll call the thread, "White Widow Auto Journal #2". If you're interested, you'll find the thread in "Grow Journals/Journals in Process"
sound like they come from alot of experience.

I'll definitely follow your journal as you're doing autos and WW. I'm also running three WW, but they're the photos.

Here have a look when you have a sec.

Volksball's First Grow: White Widow Feminized Grow Journal 2018

Volksball

Amazing. Thanks for all the tips, they'll come in handy for sure. They sound like they come from alot of experience.

Thanks, but I'm still learning. I used to grow a lot "back in the day" (prohibition days), but had to quit when friends became suspicious: "How come you always have pot when there's a famine and nobody else has pot?" As someone once said, "If you grow, keep your mouth shut." But it's hard! It's fun to share, but it's not always safe so I really appreciate the anonymity of this forum.

BTW, started the new thread this morning.

Back
Top Bottom