Medical Me's Small, Basic, Simple 2023 Grow #2: OG Kush Auto

MedicalMe

About this journal: If you’re interested, I started a comparison grow in conjunction with this which I’ve titled, “Medical Me’s Small, Basic, Simple, 2023 Grow #1 Amnesia Haze Auto.”

Strain: OG Kush Auto (20% sativa, 80% indica) from Barney’s Farm

Growing Medium: 60% Promix HP, 40% Happy Frog in 3 gallon grow bags.

Grow Space: 18”X 36” X 84” screen-off area (Panda Film) in corner of 12’X12’ store room.

Lighting: Budget LED Series 3+ Full Spec 130 Watt Dimmable LED grow light, switchable between veg and bloom, running 18/6.

Average Humidity: 54%

Average Temperature: 70 degrees F.

Nutrients: Fox Farms Grow Big,, Tiger Bloom during flower (see journal), Big Bloom throughout grow.

Watering: Hard well water as needed, allowing soil to go dry between waterings. PH corrected to 6.5 with white distilled vinegar.

Light meter: Photone app on iPhone. About this app: Not a substitute for a regular light meter, but a whole lot cheaper. Useful for comparing light levels between different heights above canopy, adjusting dimming, and keeping records.

pH Pen: Yinmik model YK-25. I like this because I can measure pH of my water and measure pH directly in the soil. I also use it for checking pH in sourdough bread dough, and measuring the pH in beer mash (I’m a craft microbrew hobby brewer).

So far -

10/4 - Submerged 2 seeds in 2 ounces spring water.

10/5 - Placed seeds in damp paper towels. 100% germination.

10/7 - Planted. Soil pH 5.9. Watered seeds in with Emilya’s technique - 1/4 c water about 4” diameter with seeds in center. PPFD 500; light about 18” above soil surface.

10/8 - Another 1/4 c watering around seeds. Both above the soil.

10/9 - Another 1/4 c watering around seedings. Increased PPFD to 600 at soil level.

10/10 - Another 1/4 c watering around seedings. Increased PPFD to 800 at soil level. Humidity at soil level: 45%. Temp at soil level: 84 degrees. Light above soil: 16”. Seedlings 1” tall.

10/11 - 1/2 c water around seedlings; increased watering footprint to 6” diameter.

10/12 - Watered again, 1/2 c and 7” diameter.

DSC_0070.jpg

10/13 - Putting out 2nd set of true leaves. PPFD 900 at canopy, temp 85.8 F, 40% RH. No need to water; moisture meter says moist at bottom of grow bag, more so at the center than at the edge. This is the second time I’ve used Emilya’s way to water seedlings and I’m liking it - no typical pause in growth after sprouting while root system is established.

DSC_0077.jpg

10/14 - Had to correct my PPFD reading. My photone app allows light selection between Full Spectrum, Red/Blue (flower) and Blue/White (veg). I had selected the Full Spectrum and should have selected Blue/White (veg) as that's where the selector switch is on my light. The corrected reading is 1100 PPFD at canopy.

10/28 - Responding well to LST. Repositioned LST to a little higher and re-bent to continue stimulating side growth. Temp 27 C. RH 46%. PPFD 1200 at canopy. Light 23 CM above canopy.

Anyone notice the lime green on some of the leaves? Yeah, I don't know why either. So far I've ruled out N deficiency, and it's the only plant out of four I have growing that displays this and every one gets the same treatment. Genetics perhaps?

OG 10-28--2.jpg

11/5 - Took photos before/after pruning to open canopy. Dry, so gave each plant 1 liter pH corrected water with 2 Tbsp Big Bloom and 1 tsp. Tiger Bloom. Bloom started; flipped light to bloom (red/blue). PPFD 1400. Temp at soil 23 C RH 66%. Light above canopy 28 CM. Removed LST.

OG 11-5-1.jpg

OG 11-5-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom