MedicalMe's Small, Basic, Simple 2023 Grow #1: Amnesia Haze Auto

MedicalMe

About this journal: If you’re interested, I started a comparison grow in conjunction with this which I’ve titled, “Medical Me's Small, Basic, Simple 2023 Grow #2: OG Kush Auto.”

Strain: Amnesia Haze Auto (80% sativa, 20% indica) from Barney’s Farm

Growing Medium: 60% Promix HP, 40% Happy Frog in 3 gallon grow bags.

Grow Space: 18”X 36” X 84” screen-off area (Panda Film) in corner of 12’X12’ store room.

Lighting: Mars Hydro TS1000 Full Spec dimmable 150 watt running 18/6

Average Humidity: 54%

Average Air Temperature: 70 degrees F.

Nutrients: Fox Farms Grow Big, Tiger Bloom during flower (see journal), Big Bloom throughout grow.

Watering: Hard well water as needed, allowing soil to go dry between waterings. PH corrected to 6.5 with white distilled vinegar.

Light meter: Photone app on iPhone. About this app: Not a substitute for a regular light meter, but a whole lot cheaper. Useful for comparing light levels between different heights above canopy, adjusting dimming, and keeping records.

pH Pen: Yinmik model YK-25. I like this because I can measure pH of my water and measure pH directly in the soil. I also use it for checking pH in sourdough bread dough, and measuring the pH in beer mash (I’m a craft microbrew hobby brewer).

So far -

10/4 - Submerged 2 seeds in 2 ounces spring water.

10/5 - Placed seeds in damp paper towels. 100% germination.

10/7 - Planted. Soil pH 5.9. Watered seeds in with Emilya’s technique - 1/4 c water about 4” diameter with seeds in center. PPFD 500; light about 18” above soil surface.

10/8 - Another 1/4 c watering around seeds. Both above soil.

10/9 - Another 1/4 c watering around seedings. Increased PPFD to 600 at soil level.

10/10 - Another 1/4 c watering around seedings. Increased PPFD to 800 at soil level. Humidity at soil level: 45%. Temp at soil level: 84 degrees. Light above soil: 16”. Seedlings 1” tall.

10/11 - 1/2 c water around seedlings; increased watering footprint to 6” diameter. Seedlings leaning a little, so increased PPFD to 900 by lowering light to 12” above soil.

Some pics would be great.
10/12 - Lowered light as this one is looking light-starved. PPFD now 1250 at canopy, 1100 at soil level. Light 11" above soil. Humidity 39%, temp at soil 92.5. Don't want to lower light any more or I might cook 'em. Watered again, 1/2 c, 7" diameter around seedling.

DSC_0071.jpg

10/13 - Looking much better today. Rotated the grow bag yesterday. 2nd set of true leaves. PPFD 1450 at canopy, temp 93.2 F, 30% RH. No need to water; moisture meter says moist at bottom of grow bag, more so at the center than at the edge. This is the second time I’ve used Emilya’s way to water seedlings and I’m liking it - no typical pause in growth after sprouting while root system is established.

DSC_0072.jpg

10/16 - Rotated bags 180 degrees. PPFD 1100 at canopy, light 10” above canopy, temp 86.9 F. at soil, RH 39%. Brown blotches caused from yesterday’s watering - evaporated water droplets which included FF Big Bloom.

Haze 10-16-23 - 1.jpg

10/18 - RH 34%, temp at soil level 33.03 C, PPFD 1,000 at canopy. Light 11” above canopy. Putting out 3rd set of true leaves. Rotated bags 180 degrees. Had one leaf with a few yellow spots, found a stink bug (Conifer Seed Bug) under one of the leaves. They try to find their way inside this time of year. I guess he thought he’d found a nice, warm place to spend the winter with food to boot. Removed him and gleefully crushed him. First time I’ve ever had a bug.

10/23 - Vital stats day. Watered yesterday with 2 liters ea pH corrected water with 4 TBS Big Bloom and 2 tsp Grow Big. 5th set of true leaves peeping out. Temp at soil level 30.4 C. RH 46%. PPFD 1,000 above canopy, light 24 CM above canopy. Soil pH 5.46%.

haze 1-0-23-1.jpg

10/25 - Started LST between 4th and 5th nodes, PPFD 1200 at canopy. Light 25 CM above canopy. Temp 28 C. RH at soil level 51%

haze 10-25-1.jpg
No light burn happening? 1200 PPFD at 20cm seems crazy close and intense to me especially with such small plants. If that’s the case then I really need to lower my lights and turn up their intensity. I’m running 8-900 PPFD at 20 inches.

If that’s the case then I really need to lower my lights and turn up their intensity.

No light burn here, but I'd recommend staying with what you know. I just came from the storeroom and measured light distance above canopy. It was 25 CM. I must have made a mistake when I converted inches to centimeters. Leaf temp at canopy is 24-27 C. I also noticed it's getting pretty stinky in there - turned on the scrubber.

My light meter is actually an app called "Photone" and I don't trust it to give me an accurate reading compared to a "real" light meter, but it works well for the sake of comparative readings. I use it to judge how the plants are reacting to light intensity. For example, if the plants look "stretchy" then I know they need more light. Conversely, light burn would indicate too much light.

In other words, I let my plants "speak" to me and strive for balance. I've kept detailed notes from grow to grow, and noticed that the level of optimum light intensity can vary from strain-to-strain and between sativa and indica. One of the beautiful things about weed is that it grows like, well, a weed and the rapid growth makes it easier to judge the a plant's reaction to changes than for example a Jade plant.

Perhaps you can help me with something. Click over to the "OG" journal and take a look at the leaf color. The best way for me to describe it is that the leaves appear to be fading to a lighter green equally from canopy to bottom. It's the only plant I have out of the four I have growing that looks like this. Everything is equally the same. I'm puzzled.

I had a look. I’m no expert. But it seems to me as far back as 10/13 the leaves are starting to turn color. It could be that your light is too close or too strong at that point but I don’t think it was or the colouring would be sporadic. I don’t see any mention in your journal about using Cal mag? The leaves look like they are deficient of something. Perhaps they’re lacking calcium or magnesium in the products that you are using. For myself I always use Cal Mag every time I water whether it’s a feeding or just plain water they get it. I always pH the water to 5.9 to 6.3.

10/29 - Bloom stretch and flowering. Pruned to open canopy; gonna look pretty ratty for a while. Some signs of light stress. Raised light to 25 CM above canopy and dimmed to 1,000 PPFD. Temp at soil level 27 C. RH 65%. Mixed 4 liters pH corrected water with 4 Tbsp Big Bloom and 1 tsp Tiger Bloom and gave each plant about 1.5 liters.

Haze 10-29-1.jpg

Haze 10-29-2.jpg

11/5 - Took photos before/after pruning to open canopy. Dry, so mixed 4 liters pH corrected water with 1/4 cup Big Bloom and 1 tsp Tiger Bloom and gave each plant a couple of liters. Temp at soil 23 . RH 58%. PPFD 1000. Removed LST.

haze 11-5-1.jpg

haze 11-5-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom