GH Not That Great?

Tokist

recently i went to the hydro store to pick up some supplies for my first grow and out of the kindness of his heart, the guy that ran the shop just GAVE me the flora series from general hydroponics. i thought, "wow, what a cool dude. i'm definitely shopping here from now on".

after some research i come to find that general hydroponics isn't all that great. it's been said that the majority of their profits come from weed growers, yet GH is very proudly anti-weed. they don't test their products on marijuana nor do they have a line that is geared towards the development of badass weed plants. they are just what their name states, "general" hydroponics. when asked about their products and the cultivating of marijuana, apparently they get butt hurt.

i came across an article explaining all that in greater detail. it even has a youtube video of a dude from advanced nutrients trying to find GH at some grow expo. mildly humorous.

in any case, this was all spurned from someone in another thread saying that GH brand is akin to "training wheels" for growers and that people oughtta go with advanced nutrients or fox farm. i've ALSO read the exact opposite.

can someone clear this up for me? are people touting advanced nutrients over other brands just consumer whores who believe what the ads tell them to? or is it really a superior product. i remember several years ago when i lived in canada, you used to hear AN's ads on the radio all the time. that isn't the case down here in texas.

i'm not trying to start a flamewar, btw. i'm trying to get educated. i dont want to be just another dude who picked up a popular brand of ferts and nutes because some tool in a growing forum said it was awesome because the ads told him so.

charts and graphs and whatnot are fine, but i'd prefer personal experience.

Nutrients is all personal preference in my opinion. I can have one guy come into the shop telling me how great Fox Farm is, then the same day another person tells me how bad it sucks.

At the end of the day nutrients are important however they don't make or break a grower.

GH and Jungle Juice are identical products, literally. Only thing about JJ is it's cheaper. Don't focus too much on your nutrients, get good ones of course, but what's more important is your environment, lighting, genetics, etc.

If I was going to get the best premade nutes with money no object I would get Advanced Nutrients.

If price was a bit of an issue but I was not dead broke I would get fox farms

If I was begging for quarters on the sidewalk to buy my nutes I would get earth juice or GH.

But personally I like the hands on approach and just make my own nutes from scratch :).

make your own nutes? is there a thread or other resource you can point me to for that?

not one specific thread no.

I just learned what kinda nutes weed likes through reading thousands of threads, blogs, books, posts, ect. Not just on this site but all over the internet. Youtube can also be a good source for learning. Although I have found it has a lot of idiots as well.

The first video I ever watched was jeorge cervantes. It has a lot of good all around info and is a great start on just growing in general.

Well Compost tea would be a good start. But it certainly wouldnt be a full spectrum of the nutes and minerals needed.
Agreed. Just lining the path with morsels... lol! I believe a living soil composition has to be considered as well, as it can be a part of that spectrum... a basic understanding of the N-P-K ratios & how they affect your plant during specific cycles goes a long way in itself also. YMMV, but I use those ratios as a model when sourcing components for my tea-- organic or not, hopefully it'll work out... I'm still bubbling my 1st brew

I dunno. The only product of theirs that I've used thus far is the flora bloom for flowering. Used it on tomato plants and one outdoor cannabis plant. I'm pretty happy with the results but I didn't have any plants to compare them with that didn't get the nutes which is the real test. I will say this though: the buds on my cannabis plant are thick, dense, and quite dank. Our tomatoes cranked this year too. Red, ripe, and sweet. Did the GH help? Who knows for sure? It certainly didn't hurt anything. I'll use their stuff again until there is a reason not too.

I have used both GH 3 part and their 2 part over the years. Had what I thought was good results with both.
The 3 part produced a little better. The 2 part is less hassle to use, not that the 3 part is a lot of trouble just more steps.
I recently switched a plant to BPN 3 part. So far it appears to be much like the GH stuff. Quite a bit cheaper.

recently i went to the hydro store to pick up some supplies for my first grow and out of the kindness of his heart, the guy that ran the shop just GAVE me the flora series from general hydroponics. i thought, "wow, what a cool dude. i'm definitely shopping here from now on".

after some research i come to find that general hydroponics isn't all that great. it's been said that the majority of their profits come from weed growers, yet GH is very proudly anti-weed. they don't test their products on marijuana nor do they have a line that is geared towards the development of badass weed plants. they are just what their name states, "general" hydroponics. when asked about their products and the cultivating of marijuana, apparently they get butt hurt.

i came across an aticle explaining all that in greater detail. it even has a youtube video of a dude from advanced nutrients trying to find GH at some grow expo. mildly humorous.

in any case, this was all spurned from someone in another thread saying that GH brand is akin to "training wheels" for growers and that people oughtta go with advanced nutrients or fox farm. i've ALSO read the exact opposite.

can someone clear this up for me? are people touting advanced nutrients over other brands just consumer whores who believe what the ads tell them to? or is it really a superior product. i remember several years ago when i lived in canada, you used to hear AN's ads on the radio all the time. that isn't the case down here in texas.

i'm not trying to start a flamewar, btw. i'm trying to get educated. i dont want to be just another dude who picked up a popular brand of ferts and nutes because some tool in a growing forum said it was awesome because the ads told him so.

charts and graphs and whatnot are fine, but i'd prefer personal experience.

JJBones said it the best, exactly my feelings too.
I have been using GH nutrients and supplements for over 8 years, and I have no complaints. I use their 3 art flora series/recirculation. I also use the supplements to the tune of a total of 8 items every time I change or add to my reservoirs. Extra advantage about their nutrients, i buy the 6 gallon size and save a bunch (I use a lot, lasts me < 1 year).

My opinion, I hear alot about every nute line up. Bad & Good. My first grow which failed was with GH FloraNova Grow/Bloom. Thats only because i didnt know how to use any of the ferts. If I wouldve got FF the same mistakes wouldve happened. Its all about what you know, and how to use what you got. I have GH & FF, SNS and Humbolts line. I also had a taste of Age Old. Im using them on different plants to see the out come. To be honest the plant im using GH on is blowing the other plants out of the water. IDK if its just the strain but I wanted to give it another try. Its best to learn about all nutes and ferts. That way you dont have to listen to what works for other ppl that might not work out in your favor. Learning what to use on your own is best. And take opinions as an option.

Jimmy and JJBones has good info, I would trust there judgment.

Agreed. Just lining the path with morsels... lol! I believe a living soil composition has to be considered as well, as it can be a part of that spectrum... a basic understanding of the N-P-K ratios & how they affect your plant during specific cycles goes a long way in itself also. YMMV, but I use those ratios as a model when sourcing components for my tea-- organic or not, hopefully it'll work out... I'm still bubbling my 1st brew

Darn you LB making a trail with your pieces of candy only to trick me into the box later.

Your treachery is unforgivable!

I have used GH chemicals (Flora) since I started growing hydroponically back in the 80's.
It was all I could get at the time.
They worked OK so I stuck with it.

I use the GH on-line nutrient calculator, but it can be too hot for some strains, so I might tweak it according to my vibes and hunches, or maybe according to my experience.

I usually get decent yields, but my recent experience borders on unbelievable.

From one small AK-47 AutoFlower, and another one half as big, I harvested over 12 oz of dried bud.
The bud filled two one gallon jars and was unusually heavy for that volume.

Although I have used it before and never achieved that kind of yield, I expect that it was due to the Kool Bloom and Dry Kool Bloom that I used during late flowering.

The only non-GH chemical I use is Aqua Shield.

thanks all so much for the info. you guys are the best :D i'll stick with the nutes i got for now. i would eventually like to try something that might be more geared for the plant im growing but i dont feel the need to throw away what i have and rush out and do it right this second.

:tokin:

Just wanted to say Organic > Chemmys :D

But yeah If I got some GH nutes for free I would certainly do a DWC with them.

maybe i'll take two of my seedlings and put em in some good quality dirt. the hydro shop nearby has some high speed fox farms dirt thats like 23 bucks for a bag.

when you say organic do you simply mean soil or do you mean ORGANIC? i.e. bat guano, fish emulsion, etc. im told organic bud tastes better....

can i take the rockwool cubes that have my sprouts and just plop them in some dirt? or is there a better way to do that transplant?

organic? lots a schools of thought out on this one IMHO... to me it means a living soil... by either means-- chemical or nature sourced fertz, amendments, etc...

sprouts in RW can go directly n2 ur new medium of choice... if they r too young it'd b n a neutral medium tho.

Back
Top Bottom