Grandpa's White Widow - 2nd Grow.NO MISTAKES!

Re: Grandpa's White Widow - 2nd Grow...NO MISTAKES !

I just found this on ebay...XL COMBO 6500K BULB+PRO FIXTURE PLANT GROW LIGHT UV LIGHT

That's just a "spiral" CFL in a $5 utility-light reflector, and did you read the guy's ad? Run far, run fast, run AWAY from fleabay!

Also found this one...<NON-SPONSOR LINK REMOVED> I could save for a couple of weeks and get this. It would fit in my grow-cab...thoughts ?

Hey grandpa, although that light is for flowering, many have said that if you can only afford ONE light, get a HPS. And if you've got 6500K CFLs to supplement for your vegging...

But Grandpastoner, PLEASE use our sponsors if you are going to purchase your light new!

They not only pay for the upkeep of this wonderful site - so that we don't have to! - but they are good people to deal with, and I'm sure that this site would help mediate in the event of any problems (although I SERIOUSLY doubt that wouldn't be necessary!).

For example, that "deal" you found on the 150-watt Sun System HPS... I guess you didn't see the review thread that the owner of our sponsor, Suncoast Hydroponics posted about that exact same light!

You can read about it - and decide whether or not it would be a viable light for you - in this thread:
REVIEW: Sun System 150W HPS System

Guy helps support this site, that's cool. But as you see he also put a lot more effort into that review than the site you mentioned put into their ad. So in my book he gets a little "extra credit" for that.

Like I said, I figure you just missed that thread - easy to do when there are so many great ones to read on this site! So, no worries.

But you are also on a budget and I know as well as anyone that sometimes, like it or not, you've got to look for the lowball price.

Well, the good news is, Suncoast Hydroponics also beats that other site by (checking...) $5.04 in price! And I don't know about shipping it to your location, but I stuck in the shipping information for a place not too far from where I am into that other place and counting shipping at both places, I'd save over twice that by getting one from this sponsor, <WOOT!>.

So go check the thread I linked about that light and see whether or not you think it'll be a good one for your particular needs. If so, great. Get it from our sponsor. If not, you can send him a PM asking him if he has any suggestions.

SunCoastHydro said:
Please keep in mind that everything on my site (Suncoast Hydroponics, LLC - Suncoast Hydroponics) is somewhat negotiable; so if you see something let me know what you are looking for and a shipping zip code and I can give you my best price possible. Even if you need something you don't see let me know what it is and I might be able to get it for you.

Either way, if you get one from him, you can tell him I suggested you shop there if you like. While (I'm ashamed to admit that) right now I'm so poor that church mice are leaving kernals of grain at my doorstep, one of these days I might be able to buy some nutrients from him and maybe he'll remember and throw in a hat or something lol (J/K but you're welcome to anyway - but there's no need).

That's just a "spiral" CFL in a $5 utility-light reflector, and did you read the guy's ad? Run far, run fast, run AWAY from fleabay!

Hey grandpa, although that light is for flowering, many have said that if you can only afford ONE light, get a HPS. And if you've got 6500K CFLs to supplement for your vegging...

But Grandpastoner, PLEASE use our sponsors if you are going to purchase your light new!

They not only pay for the upkeep of this wonderful site - so that we don't have to! - but they are good people to deal with, and I'm sure that this site would help mediate in the event of any problems (although I SERIOUSLY doubt that wouldn't be necessary!).

For example, that "deal" you found on the 150-watt Sun System HPS... I guess you didn't see the review thread that the owner of our sponsor, Suncoast Hydroponics posted about that exact same light!

You can read about it - and decide whether or not it would be a viable light for you - in this thread:
REVIEW: Sun System 150W HPS System

Guy helps support this site, that's cool. But as you see he also put a lot more effort into that review than the site you mentioned put into their ad. So in my book he gets a little "extra credit" for that.

Like I said, I figure you just missed that thread - easy to do when there are so many great ones to read on this site! So, no worries.

But you are also on a budget and I know as well as anyone that sometimes, like it or not, you've got to look for the lowball price.

Well, the good news is, Suncoast Hydroponics also beats that other site by (checking...) $5.04 in price! And I don't know about shipping it to your location, but I stuck in the shipping information for a place not too far from where I am into that other place and counting shipping at both places, I'd save over twice that by getting one from this sponsor, <WOOT!>.

So go check the thread I linked about that light and see whether or not you think it'll be a good one for your particular needs. If so, great. Get it from our sponsor. If not, you can send him a PM asking him if he has any suggestions.

Either way, if you get one from him, you can tell him I suggested you shop there if you like. While (I'm ashamed to admit that) right now I'm so poor that church mice are leaving kernals of grain at my doorstep, one of these days I might be able to buy some nutrients from him and maybe he'll remember and throw in a hat or something lol (J/K but you're welcome to anyway - but there's no need).

Hey dude...sorry about that.:sorry: It wasn't intentional. I am going thru a divorce so my mind is not as focused as it should be. I was just thinking about a cheap way to get something done as quickly as possible. I should have thought about the sponsers...I will check that dude out...thanxxx. :thanks:

Yea...that one looks like what I need, I think. I was reading a review about the seeds I got and it says:

Garden Information for this report
Bloom Wattage Used: 410w to 1000w
Average Plant Height: Not Listed
Plants per Sq. Foot: Not Listed
Average Yield per Plant: 2.00
Pruning or Plant Style: Perpetual Harvest
Fertilization Method: Organically fed

Closet grow with a 600 watt HPS light, a/c keeps temps below 80, all BOG grow methods.

I simply can't afford anything like that. I will have to save and sacrifice for most of the month of May in order to get the 150W HPS light system...and I was seriously thinking about a complete hydro set that will fit into one of my cabs in an effort to get a decent harvest as quickly as possible...since I have read that using hydro will greatly increase grow rate. And that costs about $70.00 Which do you think I should do first ? According to what I have read, "total flowering time indoor was 75 days" which will put me well into July. And if you haven't guessed by now, I am on a time limit.

I appreciate ANY & ALL HELP from each and every one of you...and I can't wait to get some of my medication. My nerves are in serious need.

Thanxxx again...

Hey dude...sorry about that.:sorry: It wasn't intentional.

As I stated in my post, I didn't think it was.

I am going thru a divorce so my mind is not as focused as it should be.

My sympathies. Before I got married I had heard a few times that getting married was cheap - but the divorce would cost you plenty. Turned out they were right (but then again, seems like for once you get excellent value for your money). Good luck with that.

I was just thinking about a cheap way to get something done as quickly as possible. I should have thought about the sponsers...I will check that dude out...thanxxx. :thanks:

Well, the good news is that the savings in cost vs. that other site can be applied to one of the expedited shipping methods that Suncoast offers if you deem time to be worth more than money. I noticed that he offered a few options.

Thanxxx for the understanding dude...and you're right, for once I am gonna get my monies worth, if nothing else in peace, quiet, and a general lack of bitching. I am gonna check out Suncoast again and see what sort of hydro systems that have later. I ordered my perlite and rapid rooter plugs today already. Now I'm gonna crash and get a few more hours of sleep before work tonight. Stay baked brother...

WARNING: Long (Of course - I wrote it lol)

Closet grow with a 600 watt HPS light, a/c keeps temps below 80, all BOG grow methods.

I simply can't afford anything like that. I will have to save and sacrifice for most of the month of May in order to get the 150W HPS light system

Simple answer, just use a small enough "closet" area that the 150-watt HPS + any other supplemental lighting that you can provide (the florescents?) give the plants that you choose to grow an adequate amount of light.

I was seriously thinking about a complete hydro set that will fit into one of my cabs in an effort to get a decent harvest as quickly as possible...since I have read that using hydro will greatly increase grow rate. And that costs about $70.00 Which do you think I should do first?

Flip a coin. A hydro setup can increase your veg. growth rate over a soil setup depending on several things. If you do decide to go that route, I'd suggest a simple home-built "bubbler" reservoir type because it's the simplest (other than a wick-fed passive type which is one step down in complexity but probably several steps down in usefulness with high-feeding plants) and because it's the cheapest.

Maybe you have a plastic Rubbermaid type tote with a lid (I wouldn't go with less than a 9-gallon size because any smaller and you'd be chasing things around too often to really be able to learn things - although it could be done) that you can use?

If so, cut one or more holes into the lid large enough for those plastic "net pots" - or just use 20 ounce or larger plastic Solo cups which are even cheaper and will last a complete cycle. If using the cups, drill about a bazillion 1/4" holes in the lower half of them for the roots to grow out of the cups and into the reservoir. If using non-feminized seed, you'll want more than one plant. I wouldn't go with more than three due to size constraints unless you feel REAL unlucky.

Beg some Geolite (expanded "clay balls") off of a friend (or buy some) to use for planting medium as they are pretty much inert (they won't affect pH) and prep consists of giving them a really good rinse to get all the red dust off. They are cheap enough that many people use them and pitch them but you can clean them up and reuse them if you've got the time (they can get salt deposits on them over time if you feed too heavy or use an inferior nutrient set).

So, if you already had the tote, the disposable cups, and the drill, your outlay so far is for a bag of Geolite. Suncoast Hydroponics has a big bag of Hydroton (same product, just a different brand name) that's pretty reasonable but they also carry a small (10 liter) bag for $8.95 and 10 liters will fill quite a few 20-ounce cups lol.

In addition, you'll need something to oxygenate your reservoir. People use aquarium air pumps & airstones of different sizes and also "powerheads." I'd recommend both types if possible - you can't give the roots too much O2. A cheap "Little Giant" powerhead ought to be around $20 at WalMart in their aquarium section and will attach to the inside of your tote (if the surface is clean and smooth) with its included suction cup. If you've got an unused aquarium then scavange the airpump(s), tubing, and airstones out of it. Otherwise, buy at least one pump, one airstone (the long ones are better), and enough tubing to connect them. I couldn't guess at a price for that stuff, whenever I needed one I just asked around and would generally find two or three people with one or more sitting in a box somewhere. A new, quality one will be cheaper and likely stronger but if you dont mind a <buzz> then a "gimme" works. If possible use a Y-connector or manifold to connect two or three airstones but if it's a really old crappy pump you might end up just trying to "pump a trickle of water through a 10" line" (IOW, wasting your money buying extras.

Still around $30 or a little less unless you had to buy the air pump & stones. Hmm... You'll need to start your plants in something besides the clay balls as a seed would just fall right through lol. In a pinch you could use soil but I believe you have some perlite now? You can use perlite or a 50:50 mix of perlite and vermiculite to start your seedlings after you germinate the seeds. Just use different cups (NOT the ones with 1/4" holes lol) and gently hand-water a very light solution until they've grown a few roots. That stuff washes off easily with the help of a bowl of room-temperature water, isn't going to affect your pH, and in this type of redneck hydro setup if you still have a tiny amount on the roots it won't matter.

Still quite cheap.

Umm... Let's see, you'll need a digital pH meter. The cheapest one at Suncoast is $70 but maybe he can get you a cheap Milwalkee one. There is one that got good reviews in the pH meter thread I started in the review forum (I can't remember which it is). It's accurate to .2pH which should be fine for your first one and It can sometimes be had for only $20 or so (although it might cost a little more to have it special ordered - I'd suggest you talk to them and see what they can do, you never know).

If you can get that meter for $20 you're up to around $50 for the setup. I'd recommend a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter that reads in PPM but it's not a necessity. Just be careful measuring your nutrients and go light if you have any question.

Oh, you'll need some pH calibrating/storage solutions for your meter, whether right away or eventually depends on what comes with the meter you end up with. If you have to buy a little $7-10 bottle of something, it'll last you for a LONG time. Depending on your water's pH and your nutrients you will probably have to purchase a small amount of pH adjuster (I'd guess pH down but IDK).

I forget whether you were using tap water or RO/distilled.

For nutrients, I'd suggest General Hydroponics 3-part Flora series because they've been around 25 years or so, they are used all over the world (and in space lol) for food crops so they shouldn't cause anyone any health problems, there are many people using them so getting together a feed chart should be no problem, if you are using "pure" water you might barely have to adjust pH if you're lucky (depending on the strength of your mix, it might drop right into the sweet spot), and in a pinch you can add a small amount of one of them (Flora?) to drop it back down when it rises on you. And although there are supplements that can be used with it, and arguably "better" nutrients out there, you can get by with using nothing else - or maybe a small amount of Cal/Mag once in a while.

Oh, and if you're forced to use your tap water and it's hard water (300ppm or higher with calcium), GH has a hardwater version of their Micro which (I assume) has less calcium or something to allow for that. You'd need Micro (or HW Micro), Grow, and Bloom. I don't know the price of the small bottles offhand as I always bought the stuff in gallons - which would be WAY more than you'd need for a year's worth of grows. They also sell quarts and pints. I think I've seen a set of the three in quarts for around $33-$35 but I can't swear to it. Perhaps Suncoast sells them or even the pints (he doesn't list his nutes on the website yet).

Uhhh... I'm probably forgetting something. But that's pretty much it. Much of the above you probably have or can maybe borrow/beg off of friends or hunt thrift stores / yard sales for except the chemicals and the pH meter.

Can you pay more for more complex setups? Oh yeah. But the above will most definitely work (and work quite well, actually) and will provide you with a decent simple setup so that you can easily learn the hydro thing and get used to feeding, checking pH, and reading your plants without worrying about a bunch of pumps, feed hoses, timers (other than for your light), valves, etc. right away.

And if you can purchase everything that you need to purchase at Suncoast Hydro, maybe he can make you a package deal, or work with you, or something. I have no idea and am certainly NOT speaking for the man but he seems like a pretty good guy. At the very least, maybe you'd save on shipping with everything coming together? IDK.

According to what I have read, "total flowering time indoor was 75 days" which will put me well into July. And if you haven't guessed by now, I am on a time limit.

Sometimes they're pretty close with estimated flowering times. Sometimes they can be... optimistic?

I think it helps to have mature plants (vegetate at least long enough for the plants to start growing staggered nodes instead of ones that are directly across from each other).

I am gonna check out Suncoast again and see what sort of hydro systems that have later. I ordered my perlite and rapid rooter plugs today already.

I'd strongly suggest that you "roll yer own" hydro system, at LEAST for getting your feet wet. That's one area where you can definitely save money.

I forgot about you getting the Rapid Rooter plugs. They should work with the setup I described above (and be less messy than using perlite).

Stay baked brother...

I've actually not been other than the occasional for a while now. This is all just me (NATURALLY baked) combined with either the effects of my meds, or lack of same (hard to tell the difference some days).

Hopefully the future will be full of brighter days!

looking good gramps just about ready to put my rooted clones outside and cut some more off the SSH,Widow,Rhino and lots off Skunk 1

Grow equipment from a police auction lol.

But yeah, I've used (general) surplus auctions in the past myself.

kind sketchy buying grow supplies back from the boys in blue

Six bucks? WOW!

I ought to get some letterhead printed up that reads "Hydroponic Strawberry & Raspberry Farm" and go to town.

(In paranoid phase lol.)

Back
Top Bottom