Greetings from Connecticut...

Altanon

I just found this place, and really glad I did. Y'all may have saved me and an associate from going with LED lights. I'm afraid I won't have much to offer about growing indoors because all my experience was growing outside back in the 70's. I use Pot for Pain. (Sounds like a good slogan: Pot for Pain.) I had a car wreck in 1979, and suffered some back injuries. The PharmCo Representatives prescribed Pain Pills, and in short order I had a habit. That's when I discovered a distressing fact: even though tolerance is a recognized fact, Doctors do not, or will not, increased either dosage size or the quantity of the prescription. Accordingly, I started supplementing my prescription meds with whatever I could find on the streets (usually much stronger stuff than what I was getting.) I guess I wasn't made for being a Junkie because after three years, I oped to quit the pain pills.

About ten years ago, when the pain got so bad that it started affecting my ability to concentrate on my job, I gave Pot a try. It was that or give up and take the disability. I find that Pot isn't an analgesic like the pain pills were, but it allows me to sort of ignore the pain. Or, at least, it allows me to think of something else besides the pain. Which has enabled me to continue working, (at least until the bottom fell out, and nobody is working.)

I've been active in the Legalization Movement since ... well, the 60's, I guess. Pretty much from the time I first learned about Alcohol Prohibition, Al Capone and the whole Mobster thing that grew out of it, and disappeared even quicker when it was repealed. In those days, there were no organized groups of folks of similar mindset, so I started my own (unsuccessful) movement called LETS (it's still in my sig.)

I was also pretty active in the Anti-War movement (three wars ago) and supported Vets Against Vietnam. Therefore, when a group of former Cops decided to start a Group called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), I joined as a civilian member. Of course, I also belong to just about all the other groups that are working along the same lines.

Anyway, glad to have found y'all, and look forward to chatting with the folks on board here.

My friend and I have been preparing to start growing, and I'm extremely grateful for the wealth of knowledge here.

Glad you have joined us.:welcome:
It's amazing how doctors don't mind that they are addicting us with their meds. I was on them for three years and was soooooooo depressed I volunteered to go into dry-out. After about 4 days most of the pain went away. It was the addiction that made me have most of my pain. Tripped me out. I'm a Nam vet too. It was actually a military doctor that told me to try mmj. It's worked ever since.
Man you sound old as I am. I loved the 60s best of all, but today is pretty damn good too. There's actually proof that we are finally changing things.
Sorry stated rambling there.:grinjoint:

Welcome to our friendly collective here at 420.
Dig right in.:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Hi Altanon, I have had a similar event in my life. Going to the street led me to the big H for pain. Luck got me out before it got to be a habit.
The 60's were a better time. The summer of Luv. Maybe it is just missing be young. Nice to have you here. :welcome: :peace:

Welcome! I have reservations about LED lights as well... still looking for results to outweigh the sales pitch.

Thank you for taking part in the legilization movements - people like you are why we've come so far in this "war on stupidity".

Altanon :welcome:, Thank you for the great intro! 420 is very happy you are here, Helping us all Create Cannabis Awareness. Seems you may have alot of knowledge that would be a great addition with our fight. Together Altanon and 420 will become a stronger voice. You will find all of 420s' Various forums to become a helpful tool to you, Both in helping with your future grow and adding more useful infomation for debate. Now we need Jodi Rell to step aside:laughtwo:. Thank you for taking the time to join 420. We all will be looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you! :peace:

Thanks for the welcome!

Funny you should mention Rell, The Weed, as I just wrote a rather long post about her, and The Feds backing off the Medical Marijuana States (well, sort of, anyway,) over at Gearslutz.

Altanon on Gearslutz said:
Well, I wonder if this means we can back this bitch into the Big Pharma corner now?

On Jul 31, 2007, I posted the following on a number of forums, and sent it to all my Legislators as well as the Connecticut Post newspaper and Channel 8 News. It got absolutely no response. In fact, two of my "Representatives" deleted WITHOUT READING!

Altanon said:
Recently Governor Rell of Connecticut vetoed a Medical Marijuana Bill. In response, I have posted the following on several Internet Discussion Forums, as well as forwarding copies to my State Representatives:

Folks, I'm pissed-off, and I'm sorry, but I won't apologize for my choice of words. I have a large enough vocabulary that I don't have to resort to vulgarity to express myself, but this particular piece of profanity fits too well, and ties into two other old sayings that also fit: Better to be pissed-off than to be pissed-on, and Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

As you may be aware, Governor Rell recently vetoed the Medical Marijuana Bill, although it is quite possible you didn't hear; it received very little press coverage. I don't blame the Governor for trying to keep a lid on this one. It is a very unpopular and, frankly, heartless action on her part which is unjustifiable on any level.

Rell attempted to cloud the issue by offering the following excuse for her action: "In passing this kind of legislation, and asking me to sign it, what we are literally doing is setting up individuals to break the law, the federal law, in order to be able to grow marijuana."

There are two flaws with this argument, one of them critical. The first has to do with the very fact that the legislation DID pass. The majority of our representatives voted for the Bill, which means that the majority of their constituents were in favor of the Bill, which means that the majority of We the People of the State of Connecticut were in favor of the Bill. Yet, Rell overruled OUR will, because "...what we are literally doing is setting up individuals to break the law, the federal law..."

Which is the critical flaw: State Law SUPERSEDES Federal Law! If the good Governor was doing the duty she SWORE to when she took the oath of the office, she would be protecting the rights of the Citizens of Connecticut from Unconstitutional encroachment by the Federal Government!

I mean, come on, even in the unlikely event that Rell didn't start her career in Law, (Are there any Politicians nowadays that didn't start out as Shysters and Ambulance Chasers?) surely she must have somebody on staff that does know the Law. Hell, all I did was pay attention when they taught us about The Constitution and The Bill of Rights in school, and I get it!

Apparently, the Governor needs a little refresher; I'll try to make it simple.

In Article One, Section Eight of The Constitution, it clearly states what the Federal Government is allowed to do:

Quote::
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Article One, Section Ten of The Constitution, provides what the States are NOT allowed to do:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Control of the Congress.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

In Article Four, Section Four of The Constitution, the States are guaranteed the Right of Self-Government:

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government...

The Ninth and Tenth Amendments hammer this home and, in my opinion, drive the final nail in Rell's coffin:

Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Rell damns herself further when she says, "I almost had to apologize for vetoing this bill because I understand that pain and suffering but there are alternatives." Quite right there are, and most of them are very expensive and carry very unpleasant side-effects like addiction and a host of others. In many cases these "alternatives" are likewise inferior to Marijuana in treating the disorders, and I have yet to find ANYTHING -- legal, illegal or, even, unlikely -- that stimulates appetite as well.

Most, if not all, patients could grow enough in their own homes to provide for their own needs, and I believe that this is where the Governor's true motives lie. With Marijuana, PharmaceuticalCo is out of the picture. With Marijuana, DrugStoreCo is out of the picture. With Marijuana, InsuranceCo is out of the picture. I mean, after all, most of these folks will be DEAD soon, so there's not much time left to pick their pockets clean!

Perhaps the saddest part of this sordid example of our Politicians selling us down the river, is when Rell uses the old, "I was only thinking of the kids," ploy, knowing full well that most of us have a soft spot for kids, and are willing to forgive much, if done for the love of a child. How pathetic.

In a small way, (admittedly a very small way,) Rell isn't really to blame; she is merely following the example set by Politicians at EVERY level, from the bottom to the very top.

I am going to post this on several Internet Discussion Forums and I intend to forward copies to my Representatives in the State Assembly. I believe that Governor Rell has been remiss, (to say the least,) in her duties to the Citizens of Connecticut and, as one of those Citizens, I call for an investigation into Impeachment Proceedings. Further, I call upon ALL Citizens of ALL States to hold THEIR elected officials to the same accountability. Too long have OUR Politicians represented only the interests of the Rich and Powerful Elite, while selling the majority of US down the river to the highest bidder.

In short, I'm damned tired of them pissing on my back and still trying to convince me it's raining!

So, how 'bout it, Jodi? Now that the Feds don't care, how about rescinding that veto?

Now, before somebody tells me that HB6715 is as dead as last year's Cod, I know that. But, it seems to me that it would save the Connecticut Taxpayers a lot of money if they didn't have to introduce a new Bill and start all over.

Sorry for the rant, and I guess this might be more effective posted in another section, but I haven't been here long enough to find my way around yet.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Altanon,
Welcome to 420 I am sure you will find the time spent here very rewarding and there are lot's of nice people to help you along with the grow. I just want to mention that I have a friend who has a LED closet grow going on right now and has been quite successful with it. I have personally seen his grow and his plants sure seem very healthy. Personally I don't use LED's but I do see the benefits and hopefully when the price drops on them I would consider using them in a future grow. Good luck with your first grow we all will be watching your progress.

Welcome to the grow Altanon.

I have experience with indoor grows and have used several different light schemes, but never with LED's yet. I've heard mixed reviews from those who have used them though and they usually say they had to go back to their other light for flowering or they just get rid of the LED's entirely. I'm willing to answer any questions you might have on indoor grows, just ask!! :peace:

Well as has everybody else welcome to 420 ppl here are extreMly chill and respectful and love nothing more than he great medicinal properties of Mary janes, there rly is alot of helpful resources here and if there isn't something you can find just start at thread an hopefully there will be someone to help. I hear you on the pain pills I have horrible gastro problems and I'm in extreme pain doctors say I have the stomach of a 70 year old man and I'm only 22 I also refuse to take pain pills as you because it's a catch 22 if I do cuz they'll kill me. I'm a fello connecticutian ever need any question awnserd send me a message and hopefully I'll be able to help I have quite a bit of experience, as other have said it honestly is a hit or miss hav a good night hope to hear from u sry for typos stupid itouch

Back
Top Bottom