firsttimeauto

420 Member
Hello! I joined this forum because it’s my first time growing and I’m having trouble with yellow leaves in 2nd week of veg for autos. They’re in Happy Frog soil with some roots organics top dress for nitrogen, but I’m still noticing the lower leaves yellowing... Could it be a watering issue? I left for the weekend and they were fine, I had my friend water and came back and then I saw problems. I pH my water to about 6.3

Attachments

• CBCDB14A-9FF7-4D81-9A2B-99A92136089D.jpeg
    CBCDB14A-9FF7-4D81-9A2B-99A92136089D.jpeg
    691.9 KB · Views: 73
  • F69CCA9E-9865-4573-9D0A-8E550EC3AE59.jpeg
    F69CCA9E-9865-4573-9D0A-8E550EC3AE59.jpeg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 70
Hello! I joined this forum because it’s my first time growing and I’m having trouble with yellow leaves in 2nd week of veg for autos. They’re in Happy Frog soil with some roots organics top dress for nitrogen, but I’m still noticing the lower leaves yellowing... Could it be a watering issue? I left for the weekend and they were fine, I had my friend water and came back and then I saw problems. I pH my water to about 6.3
It's too early to be having nutrition problems, especially after top dressing some fertilizer in there, so I tend to think it has to be watering problems.

How are you determining that it is time to water? How much water do you give each time you do water?

It's too early to be having nutrition problems, especially after top dressing some fertilizer in there, so I tend to think it has to be watering problems.

How are you determining that it is time to water? How much water do you give each time you do water?
Thank you guys for replying so fast! So its not a nutrient problem thanks for clearing that up, before I went away I watered them every 2 days or so. They are in smart pots and I read somewhere autos like moist soil and frequent watering? Or something to that effect so I tried watering them minimally and every other day, clearly that wasn’t the right idea? Sorry I’m new to all of this I’ve never grown a plant of any kind before.

Thank you guys for replying so fast! So its not a nutrient problem thanks for clearing that up, before I went away I watered them every 2 days or so. They are in smart pots and I read somewhere autos like moist soil and frequent watering? Or something to that effect so I tried watering them minimally and every other day, clearly that wasn’t the right idea? Sorry I’m new to all of this I’ve never grown a plant of any kind before.
Whomever told you that autos, or any weed for that matter, likes it to always be moist, was wrong. That is most likely the problem then, that you are watering too often, before the bottom roots have been able to dry out. Please do a search for the "lift the pot" method and also I invite you to read my article as to how to properly water a potted plant. Armed with this knowledge, you should be able to recover from this.

Welcome to the forum. I don't know much about autos but you've got two good members with knowledge here.
I would let the soil dry out a bit if its wet. Droopy leaves could be over watering but like nunyabiz mentioned it could also be under watering. also, the yellow leaves are the first set of leaves and looking at the pictures your overall growth and top growth are looking great. Stick around and update us with pictures and what you notice so the members can help ya:bongrip:

Welcome to the forum. I don't know much about autos but you've got two good members with knowledge here.
I would let the soil dry out a bit if its wet. Droopy leaves could be over watering but like nunyabiz mentioned it could also be under watering. also, the yellow leaves are the first set of leaves and looking at the pictures your overall growth and top growth are looking great. Stick around and update us with pictures and what you notice so the members can help ya:bongrip:
Thanks! Honestly watering is a pain in the ass for me, if the plant leaves start drooping from not being watered am I waiting too long at that point? Sometimes I’ll water (2 gallon smart pot) and 48 hours from then the plant will start drooping like it needs water. Does that mean I’m underwatering?

Thanks! Honestly watering is a pain in the ass for me, if the plant leaves start drooping from not being watered am I waiting too long at that point? Sometimes I’ll water (2 gallon smart pot) and 48 hours from then the plant will start drooping like it needs water. Does that mean I’m underwatering?
It actually probably means you are overwatering and have been doing it for long enough that the lower roots have shut down completely and the only roots that are responding to the water are the top spreader roots, but as soon as the water you give falls below their level, (2-3 inches down) you get droop again.

cannabis plants do well in dryer soil. Next time pick up your pot and feel how heavy it is. also feel the weight when you water it. You'll see the weight different. Now on when to water. I normally pick up the pot and touch the bottom of my fiber pots. If it is wet moist or just moist i don't water, but if its dry and the pot feels supper light then i water them.

look at emily's signature for the proper way to water a potted plant or a seedling one. it will help you understand how to water at this stage

You still need to not overwater by watering too often, even in a living organic soil grow. If someone told you that you need to keep an organic grow moist, they were not correct. Your sick plant with the droops is the result.
Unless you are growing in either coco or Living Organic Soil both of which need to stay moist and never allowed to dry out.
im goan have to agree with Emilya here, but coco you want to water couple times a day

im goan have to agree with Emilya here, but coco you want to water couple times a day
I prefer to grow soil and let my soil grow the plant.
In LOS the way I grow, I keep my soil "moist" at all times, never ever let it dry out at all, even when fallow and I don't even have a cannabis plant in the pot I keep my soil moist under a thick layer of mulch and small watering daily.
But to each his own, everybody has their own method they like.
I prefer to cater to my soil though and try to keep it at peak growth which means keeping the soil at just the right moisture level as much as possible.
My water is always super oxygenated so everytime I water it charges the soil with oxygen.

@Nunyabiz when you have
I prefer to grow soil and let my soil grow the plant.
In LOS the way I grow, I keep my soil "moist" at all times, never ever let it dry out at all, even when fallow and I don't even have a cannabis plant in the pot I keep my soil moist under a thick layer of mulch and small watering daily.
But to each his own, everybody has their own method they like.
I prefer to cater to my soil though and try to keep it at peak growth which means keeping the soil at just the right moisture level as much as possible.
My water is always super oxygenated so everytime I water it charges the soil with oxygen.
so, at my beginning stage i came across this video and i was following it. Little bit of watering to keep soil moist. What i found was that it kept the top of the soil moist and the bottom really never got moist. so the roots isn't growing much.
i could of been doing it wrong but depending at the stage of the plant, i find that when i divide a half of gallon between each plant and each plant gets 2 quarts throughout an hour that it makes the bottom of my pot moist/wet and my soil is good for 3 to 5 days. keeping room and tent environments in mind

@Nunyabiz when you have

so, at my beginning stage i came across this video and i was following it. Little bit of watering to keep soil moist. What i found was that it kept the top of the soil moist and the bottom really never got moist. so the roots isn't growing much.
i could of been doing it wrong but depending at the stage of the plant, i find that when i divide a half of gallon between each plant and each plant gets 2 quarts throughout an hour that it makes the bottom of my pot moist/wet and my soil is good for 3 to 5 days. keeping room and tent environments in mind
Just need to do a deep watering once a week or so.
Or adjust your water amount up just a wee bit which sounds like what you did.
Will depend totally on pot size, aeration of soil or tilth, cover crop, worms, size of cannabis plant, heat, humidity, air flow and so on.
The key is to get uniform moisture as best you can.
If your soil tilth is good, proper aeration and cover crop etc then technically it should be pretty difficult to over water in a fabric pot.

But however you do it, if you have a true Living Organic Soil where you are totally relying on the "soil food web" with your microbes, worms, Rove Beetles and such then if you allow the soil to dry out you are killing the soil or at very least hobbling it.

If you're in organic soil in small pots, especially plastic pots and you're feeding nutrients from a bottle, no cover crop or mulch, no worms or bugs, then you aren't growing in what I consider "living" organic soil and its likely you might be better served by following Emily's watering schedule for regular soil.

Add some miocoriza ( spelled wrong.. aka great white) to your soil, will help plant with stress and uptake and root development.. looks over watered, i mention beneficial bacteria cause if over watered you may have pythrium developing in the root zone, this will kill your plant. Hydro guard or mio are key to treating, imo should always be used. Im newly growing hydro, but did dirt before... a lot. Back then I never knew about beneficial and due to where I lived being humid and hot fought against root rot always.. if you look at the plant and it appears deficient but has all it nutes and its environment is good, then its 99% of the time root issues or uptake from my limited exp. It helps if you have more than 1 of the same seed batch growing, to compare plants :)

Back
Top Bottom