Grinch Stirs Controversy At Pot Meeting

Weedpipe

420 Member
The battle to keep medical marijuana collectives from expanding in Mission Square on Bechelli Lane in Redding took a bizarre turn this week.

Moments before Wednesday's Mission Square property owners meeting, someone dressed in a green Grinch costume with a giant imitation penis attached stepped out of a limousine and walked into Giff's Steakburger - the site of the meeting.

The Grinch announced to Mission Square owners that a new cannabis shop - Hampton Collective - would open in the former Humor Shop space on the north side of the shopping center.

Hampton Collective will join Family Tree Co-Operative, which opened in Mission Square nearly two months ago.

"I don't know, I was just trying to be funny. I guess it didn't work out," Bobby Martin, who dressed up as the Grinch, said by phone Thursday.

Martin, owner and operator of Bobby Martin Construction in Redding, co-owns the Humor Shop space. Dressing as the famous Dr. Seuss character was an attempt to let Mission Square owners upset about pot dispensaries know that another was on the way.

Martin acknowledged he made a mistake by attaching a penis.

"The Grinch costume by itself would have been fine," Martin said.

On Thursday morning, Martin sent a letter of apology to Mission Square Property Owners Association President Dick Blake. The letter was sent after Blake and Martin spoke to each other.

"To the attendees of the meeting 'especially the women' I would like to send my apologies for my actions and for my attire. I realize now that some of what I was wearing was inappropriate and disrespectful. In the future I will conduct myself in a businesslike manner," Martin wrote.

Randy Bright of Redding Trophy Center in Mission Square said the symbolism was perfect: The Grinch showed up to spoil the party.

"He came in and made the comment, 'I am here to give this to you,' " said Bright, who's upset about marijuana collectives coming to Mission Square.

Blake, who owns Giff's, said Martin's stunt was in poor taste but he didn't want to dwell on it.

"I didn't like it, but whatever happened, happened," Blake said. "I don't think it's anybody's business but Mission Square's; that's the way I feel about it."

Blake has said the marijuana co-ops are legal in California and there is little the center can do. Redding attorney Gary Haslerud told members as much at Wednesday's meeting, Blake said.

Haslerud didn't return a phone message left Thursday at his office.

Tina Hitchcock of Tina's Interior Design Resources wasn't buying Martin's apology. Hitchcock is another property owner upset about pot collectives opening in Mission Square.

"I was disgusted beyond belief," Hitchcock said of Martin's prank. "His letter of apology means absolutely nothing to me," especially since the letter was sent after Martin met with Blake.

Both Bright and Hitchcock are frustrated the city of Redding is taking what they feel is a laid-back approach to pot collectives. Since December, at least 20 medicinal cannabis shops have opened in Redding.

"These people are considered clubs so they don't need a business license. I am going to start up a design club tomorrow," Hitchcock quipped. "The city fathers are not standing up. They are stopping these (medical marijuana co-ops) in other towns, but I guess not here."

Shasta Lake is working toward adopting zoning guidelines for cannabis collectives, which also would cap the number of pot dispensaries doing business within the city at two. A second public hearing on the matter is scheduled for Oct. 15.

Martin, whose firm is the general contractor for the Hilltop Drive beautification streetscape project, said the co-owners interviewed a number of tenants before picking Hampton Collective.

"They met all the criteria we were looking for," Martin said.

A beauty salon eyeing the former Humor Shop space couldn't afford the water hookup fees. An accounting firm also looked at the unit, but the rent it proposed to pay would have left Martin and his company short on their monthly mortgage payments, Martin said.

"They're paying the rent, doing all the remodeling and tenant improvements and taking over the utilities," Martin said of the pot dispensary. "To me, the way we have it structured, they (Hampton Collective) will set a higher standard than what we have seen in Redding."

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Record Searchlight
Author: David Benda
Contact: Redding Record Searchlight: Local Redding, California News Delivered Throughout the Day.
Copyright: 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co
Website:Grinch stirs controversy at pot meeting Redding Record Searchlight

i think the guy wanted / needed some free ad time, make the local paper, get the locals talkin ... guess what?

my guess, he made his halloween costume early and couldn't wait to wear it.

i was a little bit conflicted about this article and i still am. i guess i let it through because i was curious to see what everyone would have to say about it. it still might disappear.

First you have to understand Redding. Spent a good part of my childhood there, still have family & friends in the area. Nothing ever happens in Redding, NOTHING! 20 years ago, farming & ranching was the majority for economic revenue. Very conservative folks for the most part.

That being said, Redding is not mainstream California by any stretch of the imagination. While I dont condone the penis part(save it for the Halloween office party), knowing Redding, I can certainly understand the gentleman's frustration although a bolo tie and a pair of Tony Llamas boots would have gone a lot further with the Redding crowd....MF

Back
Top Bottom