Grow box construction - Multi Stage Version (Based on 's Upright version)

I love what you are doing, but just don't have the time/tools to make my own grow box. I went with one of these instead

Should be here Friday!!

Must be nice to have $$$ lol

Actually all joke aside mine is getting up to the $500 in expenses so far too!!!

Here some more pics of what I got so far. Sorry no time to explain in detail. If you notice anything you have a question on IO will be happy to explain!
watermark.php

Hey TrickDaddy, the link isn't working. Not sure if its just me though.

Bummer about the high temps. What kind of fans are you using and how many are you running. Also, what do you do with the hot air from the light? Are you exhausting it back into the room or piping it out elsewhere? I'm sure there is an easy solution with all the vast collective knowledge on this site.

Nevermind, just found the info on your fans. Have you thought about weatherstripping as an easy alternative to sealing any doors or openings of the sort? It may or may not work in your situation, but its a cheap suggestion just thought I would throw out there.

Maybe the temp prob has something to do with the configuration of your fans. IMO, I would start with the lower CFM fans at the intakes and gradually use a higher CFM fan as you move towards the exhaust. The high CFM fan at the exhaust/end would cause a natural suction forcing the air to be constantly moving in and out of your box.

Here is what I'm thinking and will use your main (big) chamber as an example. The air needs to be sucked out faster than is being pushed into the main chamber so the hot and old air isn't sitting in the chamber waiting to be exhausted. Just think of someone blowing into the bong as you're clearing it. Its going to be tougher to get all that smoke out. Just my thoughts, maybe they might help.

Ok Finally figured out how to get the "correct" image location URL from the User Gallery! lol

So here's where I'm at...

LeftArea.jpg

Left Veging / Propogation area with Left Inside Panel mounted.

VegingArea.jpg

Vegetation area close up with Right Middle Inside Panel mounted.
Intake Fan (50 cfm) on Left Outside Panel to cool T5's and Circulate air in the entire Left Cabinet section.

FloweringAreaFan.jpg

Flowering Area (Main Cabinet) Intake Fan. Brings air in from the Left Cabinet and Cool the HPS lamp and Ballast as well as circulates air in the Main Area.

CloningPropogationArea.jpg

Cloning Propagation area.

I have since made several modification to the Box in order to cool it down as I am having heat issues:

I switched fans so the 100 cfm is on the left side of the cabinet to try and push more air in.
Also I flip the middle section panel so the air now draws from the top left, down the middle section and out the bottom right section.

Also I tool the smaller 50cfm fan and mounted it directly on the hps reflector to cool it.

As well i relocated the Inline Duct Exhaust fan to the top most section of the box.

I think the 70 cfm rating for the exhaust is a little low to draw all that air from the left box down the middle and out?
I may try stepping up to the 150 cfm 5" version of the exhaust fan.

I gave up on trying to align the from doors after the wood was warped and I did not have the right hinges to adjust the doors so I could get a good seal for light and air.

I use the Poly Plastic material and made drape like covers that velco to each from section one for the left one bigger for the right. You'll see everything in the next set of pics!

I still need to get the temp down another 5-10F to 80-85F

Ahhhh thats fucking cool a grow box on wheels.Great set up you got there

Looking good, looking good.

Damn dude, that box is coming along sweet! I like your velcro door idea. Thats much easier than a big ass piece of wood. I'm going to have to look into that for my box now.

Damn dude, that box is coming along sweet! I like your velcro door idea. Thats much easier than a big ass piece of wood. I'm going to have to look into that for my box now.

See! Great minds do think alike!
All the way from "Cali" up to the "Great White North"

But seriously it works good! You can almost stretch the poly-plastic material to get a nice seal. With the velco
I can tell im not getting enough air into the right section by the way you can see the plastic sheeting getting sucked in a little bit! I am only using the velco in the corners. But I may add more in to get a better seal!

I got tired of trying to get the doors aligned! Especially because I left the wood pre-cut too long and It warped line an inch or so! I could make a good hockey stick out of it anyways!!! lol

So like I said the box is actually done I will upload some pics of the finished product Soon!

I am just going to try the larger Exhaust fan like I said earlier to try and bring the temp down another 5F or so. Then we sould be good!

Cheers and thanks for the compliments All !

It is actually functioning right now as you'll see in the pics I upload in the next few days!

Can you give me some info on the plastic sheeting? Where did you get it? What is the kind you have used for primarily? I'm going to ditch my plank and am going to do what you did instead. Much more practical I must say.

Can you give me some info on the plastic sheeting? Where did you get it? What is the kind you have used for primarily? I'm going to ditch my plank and am going to do what you did instead. Much more practical I must say.

Sure it's called Poly Black and White Plastic. It's not a film like Mylar but more lie plastic sheeting. It is sold at Hydro Stores Everywhere here. Apparantly it is more reflective than Mylar and more durable as well as washable!

here is a link of places here maybe it will point you in the right direction.

It is sold by the foot of 10ft width which leads me to believe it is actually
used as vapor barrier in the construction industry!

Hope this place is near you!

https://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=HLMYBWP/025&eq=&Tp=

Sweet. Thanks dude. More reflective than mylar you say? I'll definitely have to look into now. Thanks for the link. Thats pretty nice that one side is black and the other is white. That makes things so much easier. I was thinking of running velcro along the entire opening of my box to prevent any unwanted light leaks during flowering. While I'm at it, do you know of any good places that have some good deals on velcro? I'm going to need roughly 14' (I'm about to scour the net for some, but thought I would ask in case you knew of anything worth mentioning.)

Sweet. Thanks dude. More reflective than mylar you say? I'll definitely have to look into now. Thanks for the link. Thats pretty nice that one side is black and the other is white. That makes things so much easier. I was thinking of running velcro along the entire opening of my box to prevent any unwanted light leaks during flowering. While I'm at it, do you know of any good places that have some good deals on velcro? I'm going to need roughly 14' (I'm about to scour the net for some, but thought I would ask in case you knew of anything worth mentioning.)

Like I said earlier check out any dollar stores in your area!!!
I checked Walmart but they only sell it by the for for 1-2$ and I got 4ft for a dollar at the dollar store!

Im gonna add more velcro too to keep more light from
escaping into the flowering compartment!

Heres my complete cabinet for now pending some minor changes in my constand effor to reduct temp.
Sorry for the obscure pics as the cabinet is in my storage closet now and it tight in there to try and take the pics from the right angle. That is why stuff looks crooked in some pics from certain angles! lol

LeftArea1.jpg

Propogation/Vegitation Area Operational.

LeftPropArea.jpg

Propogation Area Close Up with Clones (GDP)!!!

VegingArea1.jpg

Veging Area Close Up.

CoolingFanHPSMountedReflector.jpg

Reflector woth Cooling Fan for HPS Lamp and Ballast.

BallastAndExhaustFan.jpg

Exhaust fan and Ballast. (May move Ballast out of box to cool it more)

BottomRightAirIntakes.jpg

Supplemental Air intake.

FloweringHPSReflector.jpg

HPS Lamp and relector in Flowering Area

SealedCabinet.jpg

Sealed unit with Poly sheeting flaps for doors with Velcro.

VelcroCloseUp.jpg

Velcro Corner Close Up

FloweringSection.jpg

Flowering Section Operational

FloweringHPSReflector.jpg

hi there trickdaddy,love your thread im an irish greenhorn when it come's to greenfingers but would love to build a box and grow me own.would it be possible for you to e-mail me a copy of your pics?i would really appriciate it as i am new to all this computer lark plus im heavily sidated most of the time,some lovely white widow and big bud going around.

hi there trickdaddy,love your thread im an irish greenhorn when it come's to greenfingers but would love to build a box and grow me own.would it be possible for you to e-mail me a copy of your pics?i would really appriciate it as i am new to all this computer lark plus im heavily sidated most of the time,some lovely white widow and big bud going around.

Dude all you gots to do is right click the images abs "Save Image as..."
or "Save Picture as..."

If you still have problems let me know and I''l zip what I still have left and send them to you!

I am going to build a box for my work shop. It isn't heated, but winters do not get real cold. Do you think the lights will provide enough heat in the winter?

I am going to build a box for my work shop. It isn't heated, but winters do not get real cold. Do you think the lights will provide enough heat in the winter?

I had the same idea because I live in an apartment and space is a little tight. I was going to put my box on the balcony and avoid the odor issues as well. I'm sure the heat of the lamp IS sufficient to keep the cabinet at an acceptabe temperature... while the lamp is on! lol

Common sense quickly dictated to me that once the lights are off is a different storey!

So I don't know unlsess you live in a warm climate all year round you got problems!

Back
Top Bottom